Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Anxiety & Body Aches and Tingling This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Anxiety & Body Aches and Tingling

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
miakoda

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 am

Anxiety & Body Aches and Tingling    Reply with quote  

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any aches and/or tingling that comes and goes at various parts of your body.

For the last few weeks, I've been having more tingling and aching in my legs, arms, chest, and neck. For example, I'll feel that my left calf is tingling and then later on that day, my right thigh aches. The discomfort doesn't seem to stay in one place consistently. I've also been feeling that my back and neck muscles are more tight and sore than usual, and I'm also getting more headaches.

Although I'm trying to breathe correctly, I've had difficulty because my nose is congested most of the time (from allergies, I believe).

Any input you could give would be great. Also, if you know of any exercises that can be done to help relieve this tingling or aching, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks.

Rockbessie
Preferred Member

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:00 am

Hi
I think that the tingling and aching is because of the muscle contractions that are happening when tense.
This is a good exercise to do:
Lie down flat somewhere comfortable - Start at your feet and tense muscles there and hold for five seconds and release - repeat this three times. Then work up your body on all the muscle groups - calves, thighs, buttocks, stomach, arms, neck and shoulders - what this does is teaches us to feel and recognise the muscle contracting.
I hope that this helps - I get the tingling and aches - mostly left sided with me but this exercise does remind me to relax those muscles!
miakoda

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:39 am

Thanks    Reply with quote  

Thanks Rockbessie,

I will give that exercise a try. Today I'm feeling very achy all over, but that's because I spent the day working (mainly shovelling) at an archaeological site.

It was a lot of fun, even though I got really dirty! I didn't even think about my anxiety when I was out there, which is great.

Take care,

Mia
foobar

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Aches, etc    Reply with quote  

Hey Miakoda,
Its amazing how the anxiety can just lift like a curtain or a fog when you're engrossed in doing something huh?

I too get aches and tingles. Mostly in my left shoulder extending down into my pinky. It doesn't help that I'm a computer scientist and have tendonitis problems from typing. In addition to the relaxation techniques suggested previously, try consciously relaxing parts of your body when you do your breathing. Or just when you're sitting around. I've found that I subconsciously hunch my shoulders up and I need to simply remind myself to relax my shoulders every five minutes or so.

Also massage and baths are good too (and good for relaxing in general). I'm also going to try some accupuncture soon.
attrota

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Aching Tingling    Reply with quote  

Im just amazed that there are people out there that have the same aching and tingling I do. It actually has made me feel better im not dying or anything....as well as the aching and tingling I feel lethargy and heavy limbs... I find that brisk walk can help and also hot baths. Any one suffer from pins and needles too??? the feeling that your circulation is up the spout ???

Attrota
foobar

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:11 pm

Aching arms    Reply with quote  

My left arm/shoulder is quite often achy and sore, and it extends down into my elbow and a feeling that something is "not quite right" with my left pinky finger. I've found that baths (especially while listening to the Red Sox [Boston Baseball team for those on the other side of the pond...] have really helped)

Strengthening/stretching is also really a good idea. As well as good ergonomic habits while using keyboards/computers/etc...

I've got an accupuncture appointment in early June, we'll see if that helps too.
MohaimenK

Post Wed May 03, 2006 8:30 pm

It's actually very normal for someone who had anxiety. You should not worry at all. Exercises will help, light not heavy. Yes, hot bath does help. It will get stiff at times and shake...well mine's been shaking but recenly I've been worrying about Parkinson's...but a lot of people tell me no but for some reason, my heart just doesn't want to believe it....and I'M ONLY 22!!! Ahhhh Anxiety...........when will it go away???
kimmycpu

Post Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 pm

i have this as well...my left arm gets tingly when i get nervous...drives me crazy... Rolling Eyes
bumpkin

Post Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 pm

aches and numbness    Reply with quote  

I find it so reassuring to see others writing about my symptoms. I have tingling and numbness, mostly in my left hand and leg, as well as clammy feelings and patches of cold which come and go. I also get aching in my limbs. This all terrifies me, and I have been convince that I have ms. My doctor assures me it's a result of stress/anxiety. What I would love to know is how to overcome it...
denise520

Post Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

same here...i have been doing this for sveral months now and never understood why. the dr said that i had anxiety and i wouldnt believe him because it all just came on at once. the tingling and discomfort in my left arm shoulder and neck id terrifying because i thoought that something was wrong ith my heart. i had echo on heart and all was good so...i guess that it is anxiety. and it has been really hard for me to get a grip on... i think because i was always the one dealing with everyones problems... the hardest part now is i have no one to help deal with mine and that brings on more tension and anxiety. i find that deep breathing and resting 15-30 minutes during the afternoon when i am home alone helps.
bumpkin

Post Fri May 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Hi Denise, I'm sorry that you are suffering as I know full well what it's like. I find it is best to keep as occupied as possible, although that is sometimes diffiicult because I feel so bad. My doctor has done a full range of blood tests and has prescribed me some anti-depressants to help with the anxiety. Before the sudden onset of the pins and needles I suffered from a feeling of having a lump in my throat for 6 months, that went when I was relaxed. I guess that my stress levels and anxiety have just found another way to manifest themselves. I have found dr Claire Weeks (?) books incredibly helpful.
ssmwmn

Post Sat May 13, 2006 1:53 am

I am not sure if what I feel is the same or not. I have major aches in my neck when I start to get anxious. It can get so tense sometimes that I can barely move it. I have to take my Lorazepam (1mg) to make it go away. The funny thing is, when I am really busy and stressed out at work I don't notice it as much. I mean I feel anxious, but it is almost like I don't have the time to worry about my neck hurting. But if I am not careful I become so anxious that I start to shake. Which makes it very hard to type or write, which I have to do a lot with my job. I have also tried the breathing technics they talk about, but it never seems to help. It only seems to make me notice even more how hard my heart is beating.

I am on 3 different medications to help with my anxiety, depression, and mania and they do help until I became upset about how my life is going or how I miss my family. I know that I need to start seeing someone about it, but with my job it makes it really hard.
jurplesman

Post Sat May 13, 2006 5:58 am

It may look complicated to you, but they are simply signs of hypoglycemia.

Symptoms of anxiety attacks can affect any organ or part of the body. It is due to overproduction of adrenaline the fear/stress hormone, brought about by an internal biochemical abnormality. It is biological in nature and is unlikely to respond to talk therapy. Drugs can mask some of the symptoms but NOT cure anxiety attacks.

Please read:

What is Hypoglycemia? at:
http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/what_is_hypo.html

"Beating Anxiety and Phobias" at:
http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/beating_anxiety.html

Conquering Anxiety, Depression and Fatigue Without Drugs - the Role of Hypoglycemia
by Professor Joel H. Levitt
The Anxiety & Hypoglycemia Relief Institute at:
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/hypoglycemia.htm

Hypoglycemia and panic disorders at
http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/hypo/

and google search for

Anxiety and hypoglycemia

for biological aspects of anxiety attacks.
MohaimenK

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:34 pm

The last few days, I've been feeling really weird. My left shoulder/neck and my left arm's been hurting...alot today, more than other. It feels so weak and shaky but it doesn't shake. Unless I stare at it for a long time....
Got to read about Michael J Fox and how he found out about his problem, and scared the sh** out of me even more! Especially cause now it twitches a lot...then again, all my body parts twitches as well....
My cousin, the neurologist, says not to worry about it and I should go swiming for a few days to see if tha pain stops, if not then we'll see what else to do. I'm going to the doc on Monday but if anyone knows anything, pleaase let me know.....thank you
arkane

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:14 am

MohaimenK: Here are a few questions. When you look at red and green objects, are they distorted or faded in a noticeable way? Do you have problems with tripping, clumsiness, or falling down alot?

If you are having problems with looking at red and green objects coupld with falling down alot and having pain in your extremities along with painful muscle spasms, you might ned to get a neurological test done for Multiple Sclerosis.

Otherwise, if it is just some pain you are experiencing coupled with a few muscle spasms every now and then, look into the hypoglycemic thing as you can have relative hypoglycemia even when you get normal readings on a glucometer. A glucose tolerance test is needed to test for this type of hypoglycemia (really isn't all that bad.. just requires you to eat less but more often).

I would not be too worried about a serious condition unless you are constantly shaking all the time or have the above mentioned symptoms coupled together. Anxiety is often the cause of the symptoms you are experiencing and a better diet, exercise, and relaxation techniques could vastly improve your situation.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: