Bed Wetting self-hypnosis and children

Hypnosis / Self Hypnosis - discuss this most useful, and misunderstood, of therapeutic tools.

Postby magda » Wed May 10, 2006 1:08 pm

My son is 7 1/2 years old and has never had a dry night, is the bed wetting
self-hypnosis appropriate for him? Are hypnosis programs usable for young children? Is there a way to adapt hypnosis to make it more appropriate for young children?

Thanks,
Magda
magda

Postby sjp » Wed May 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi Magda,

I can reccomend a really good book to help with bed-wetting. It is solely for children but you have to read it first. It then involves reading a story to your child, with sometimes, startling results.

It's called "Stress-busting for children" by Rita Sparks. It,s not very expensive (£7.99) and you can find it on Amazon or possibly even e-bay.

Susan
sjp

Postby ClaireHeg » Wed May 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Hi Magda - yes hypnosis can help with bedwetting - also from my experience it can be due to a conflict or a stress that the child may have encountered gowing up - if this is the case, it helps to get out what that is to resolve that too - can you juse hypnosis with him?

Let me know if I can answer any questions ;)
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Postby ClaireHeg » Wed May 10, 2006 6:55 pm

You can also use drawings and metaphor with kids, they love it ;)
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Postby magda » Wed May 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Thank you Susan and Claire for your responses. I will look up that book you recommend Susan.

Claire, can you make suggestions on adapting hypnosis to young children?
Do you have any suggestions on how to determine and resolve any issues that may be causing the bed wetting?
I am not sure what you mean by your question "can you use hypnosis with him?" I have never tried and want to get some suggestions before trying.

Thank you both,
Magda

[quote="sjp"]
It's called "Stress-busting for children" by Rita Sparks.
Susan[/quote]

[quote="ClaireHeg"]Hi Magda - yes hypnosis can help with bedwetting - also from my experience it can be due to a conflict or a stress that the child may have encountered gowing up - if this is the case, it helps to get out what that is to resolve that too - can you juse hypnosis with him?[/quote]
magda

Postby magda » Wed May 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi Claire,

Do you mean during hypnosis or to get at root problems or to do something else?

Sorry for all the questions,
Magda

[quote="ClaireHeg"]You can also use drawings and metaphor with kids, they love it ;)[/quote]
magda

Postby ClaireHeg » Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi Magda

Thats ok - fire the quesitons away - from my experience - if I were to working with a child for bedwetting I would do some questioning about what had happened, any changes in their life,maybe a new bed, new house etc etc - pretty much the way I would do it with an adult - just is quicker with a child ;-)

By questioning I would be able to find out what the root of it all is and the reason why the Unconcious Mind is dogn the bedwetting, then I would uyse various tools inclduing Hypnosis, Time Line Therapy tm, drawings and metaphor to assist the child to get rsoltuion on the cause - hope this helps?
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Postby magda » Wed May 10, 2006 9:21 pm

Hi Claire,

My son has never had a dry night. so changes in his life would seem to be irrelevant, even though there have not been any significant changes recently. He has, over the last couple of years, been having friendship issues. This school year he has also been the target of a bully. We are working on these issues, but in all other ways he seems to be coping well. Also, he had never had a dry night before this all started (when he had lots of friends at school). He has been seeing a psychologist for a few months, and she is pleased with his progress. He is dealing with the situation well and we are addressing things on the social level.

Other than the social issues (which I admit are huge, but more recent than the bed wetting), he is well-adjusted, friendly, happy and healthy. He is bright and energetic, cute and crazy like most kids his age.

Because of the social issues, we regularly have relatively in-depth chats about his stress levels and any stressors. Really, I am not sure that this is a case of stress, at least none that either the child psychologist (who seems to be very good) or we can find.

In North America, at least, bed wetting is not even addressed until after the child has turned 8. While I try to be patient, I feel that the bed wetting is keeping him from things like sleep overs and short sleep-away camps. Also, if his friends at school ever found out, it would be just one more (potentially very damaging) thing for them to use against him.

My husband also was a bed wetter, his bed was wet most nights until he was 12 or 13.

I feel this is largely genetic, but am hoping to overcome it through some alternative therapies.

Magda

[quote="ClaireHeg"]Hi Magda

Thats ok - fire the quesitons away - from my experience - if I were to working with a child for bedwetting I would do some questioning about what had happened, any changes in their life,maybe a new bed, new house etc etc - pretty much the way I would do it with an adult - just is quicker with a child ;-)

By questioning I would be able to find out what the root of it all is and the reason why the Unconcious Mind is dogn the bedwetting, then I would uyse various tools inclduing Hypnosis, Time Line Therapy tm, drawings and metaphor to assist the child to get rsoltuion on the cause - hope this helps?[/quote]
magda

Postby RebekahJoyce » Thu May 11, 2006 1:07 am

Hi magda

Have you tried to see if the unconscious is trying to communicated a need and is being ignored. i will have a nightmare to wake up to use the bathroom, this developed when i was young to wake me up and go use the bathroom because i am such a deep sleeper. My father has told me that he sees a toilet in his dreams to signal the need to wake up to go. Maybe see if you can see if he has a bathroom symbol too, and maybe become aware of this would help him wake up and go.

I just thought that maybe the bedwetting was the result of the problem, not the problem it self. i know that my bedwetting was resulting from a sleep problem/ disorder, so does he have problems sleeping it self.

Honestly i posted my experience hoping it would help someone else help you. So anyone care to chime in?
:)
RebekahJoyce

Postby satanstoystore » Thu May 11, 2006 5:23 am

Milton Erickson, a fabulous hypnotist, had a story about a bedwetting client. It went something like... so why are you here? you wet the bed? Oh I think it's perfectly fine for a child to wet the bed. There's nothing wrong with that. Children wet the bed often. Now, a big boy certainly wouldn't do that. Like an 8 year old would always have a dry bed. Because they can wake up and go to the bathroom at night. They can drink less before bed. etc. etc.

Anyhow, hopefully you too can find a clever hypnotist. Sometimes the best work is done by not assuming what the issue is but by letting the person work it out and find their own reasons to change. The interesting thing about that kind of 'hypnosis' is that the child was also around 8. Every day until 8 was a day/night to consider the importance of change. It's like a 180ish days generative change process. very powerful.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby ClaireHeg » Thu May 11, 2006 9:33 am

Hi Magda

There will always be a cause at the level of the Unconcious Mind for any behaviour whether bed wetting or an illness - this can even track back to in the womb for some adults - it can be adressed here before 8 (in the UK) by alterative approaches provding the parents are cool with that - good luck and let me know if you have any questions ;-)
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Postby gonzo » Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 am

Hi Claire,
you said "this can even track back to in the womb for some adults". I must comment that this has never been proven and is viewed by many as being a invention of the subconscious. When it comes to therapy whether this is real or not is mostly irrelevent though.
cheers
gonzo

Postby ClaireHeg » Fri May 12, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Gonzo

Thanks for your comments -when doing Time Line Therapy tm we ask the Unconcious Mind to present the first event - the first tme a negative emotion was experienced and sometimes this can be in the womb for many people NOW the Unconcious Mind is symbolic and yes you are right there is no way to "prove" whether this is "true" or not AND when I work with someone - the fact of whether this is true or not isnt as important as whetjer the client gets the result or not

So there is no way to prove whether it is true or a symbol that the Uncocncious Mind presents in order for the person to get resolution

Hope this helps
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Fri May 12, 2006 10:27 am

I agree wholeheartedly Claire. I'd say it is pretty rarely that an experience pre-birth comes up, but it does happen.

Your point about proof is correct - it is no more fanciful that something recalled from a time when they were two years old is the 'actual event' or whether it is made up. It is of little consequence - if the person is hypnotised and you ask their unconscious to find an event, moment or symbol whatever comes up you can proceed with as if it is the actual event.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby ClaireHeg » Fri May 12, 2006 10:34 am

Hi Ant - thanks for you very well explained post ;)
ClaireHeg
Preferred Member

Next

Return to Hypnosis