talk to myself

Postby british » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:57 pm

Why do I talk to myself? There have ben many occosians where embarrisingly I have been caught talking to myself.........by my family, work colleagues and friends.....I do it all the time.....this is a big big problem and very embarrasign needless to say..........why do I do it......its almost as if im having an animated conversation with myself....and use my hands and stuff.....can you guys tell me what to do?
british

Likes Received: 0

Postby Michael Lank » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi british,

We all talk to ourselves, it's just that most of us do it silently in our heads, that's the only difference.
Michael Lank

Postby Amy Biddle » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi British,

Maybe it is because you are "working it out" (whatever "it" is at the time) and you are talking with your best teacher, your inner Self.

Perhaps you do it because no one else can help.

Or, is it simply a habit? I talk to myself, too. I watch the tone I use, and realize that if I'm being harsh or demanding it is time for a break.

Be good to yourself. Put down the stick that you may be beating yourself with. Definitely don't go looking for trouble or a diagnosis that you don't need or deserve.

Relax and enjoy life.

What would you say to someone else who asked the same question of you?

Amy
Amy Biddle

Postby bearyconfused » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:42 pm

Hi British...your not alone. I find myself talking to myself all the time at home at work anywhere. People at work are always asking me if i'm talking to myself and i laugh and say yes! But they do it too. I used to talk to my dog alot when i was at home and not working, now my dog has passed on and i'm working full time and i guess i just continued on with the conversations.

I used to be embarressed about it, but not anymore. I survived 2 years of suisidal thoughts and i did alot of talking out loud to myself and to God and now when people ask me who i'm talking to i just laugh and say "Me" Myself" and "I"...

As long as i don't argue with myself i don't find any harm in it! Laugh and enjoy life. It is so very unpredictable. God Bless!
bearyconfused

Postby british » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Thank you for your kind comments.............by the looks of things I should relax and enjoy life.................When I am talking to myself it is very obvious to others.......I use my hands a lot and people at work think I have gone a bit crazy, lol...........my parents have coaught me on various occasions talking to myself.......I realise that a lot of people do talk to themselves and that isnt a problem that I do it too....its the fact that other people can hear me and can see that I am using these hand gestures and stuff.........I do feel embarassed by it all.
british

Postby Amy Biddle » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi British,

Well then we are talking about two different issues:
1- you talk to yourself
2- you are embarassed by others' reactions

Which is the problem?...

I'd say the 2nd is the problem!

Unless you are secretly fearing that you have a true mental illness causing you to talk to yourself, then I'd say take some steps with a coach, spiritual advisor or other sort of teacher who can help you with your confidence, to allow you to talk however you like- even if to yourself!!

Amy
Amy Biddle

Postby sebas » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:32 pm

There's nothing to be embarrased of. Talking to oneself is an excellent mechanism of opening up your heart, discovering your feelings and thoughts, plus silence is sometimes sort of boring. I do it all the time, sometimes I sing as well :)
sebas
Preferred Member

Postby REManic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 pm

I don't think talking to yourself is bad, I myself do that many times. Sometimes I tend to 'let the steam blow off' with myself, when I don't feel like talking to someone.
People generally say 'he who speaks to himself is crazy'. I don't agree. Let's say that if you're talking to yourself, you are making an interesting psychological exercise. :D

REManic
REManic

Postby REManic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 pm

I don't think talking to yourself is bad, I myself do that many times. Sometimes I tend to 'let the steam blow off' with myself, when I don't feel like talking to someone.
People generally say 'he who speaks to himself is crazy'. I don't agree. Let's say that if you're talking to yourself, you are making an interesting psychological exercise. :D

REManic
REManic

Postby cureable » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:44 pm

They are right - talking to yourself is just thinking out loud.

However, we are more likely to think out loud when we feel alone. We might then be startled to discovered someone overheard, or walked in on it.

Happened to me once. I was bored out of my mind pacing around a shop floor (I worked there) and thought nobody was around. Then a girl from the shop next door came in and heard me... hahahahaha! :oops:
cureable

Postby Mrshad » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:28 am

I know what you really mean. Its not that you talk to yourself. Its how you do it. Let me ask you a question do you feel hypmotised when you do it?
Do your pupils dilate when this happens?
Is it like your in side a video game.
I do the same thing. I have really bad A.D.D as well. I think that has something to do with it. Do you ever make up senoreo's like your on the tonight show. Or your in a fight and you actualy swing your fist's
It is like a child playing with G.I.Joes he has the sound effects and the voice's going. I do it my wife hates it. Its some sort of a cesure like a staring cesure. But thats not it. I don't know what it is or how to help. P.S sorry for the bad spelling
Mrshad

Postby kathleenbaby » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:11 am

i do it especialy when doing difficult or complicated tasks or lonfg list it helps me prioritise and understand thing s i go through what in doing if people often mock me i tell them it helps me if i vocalise and get thing right in my head what im doing i smile or sometimes laugh with them then say you try it next time somethings tricky it helps nobodies laughed more than once and i really dont care if they do it helps me and we cant be that crazy look how many other people do it in this forum ! take it easy on yourself and accept it may seem funny 2 others if you can laugh with them works 4 me peace love light kathleen
kathleenbaby

Postby squirrels » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am

I like talking to myself - that way I know I'm going to get a sensible reply!

My neighbours sometimes catch me doing it and it is quite embarrassing. I also do it in the car!
squirrels

Postby snow » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 am

i dont normally talk to myself but i find about once a day where i do... i get this strange feeling of... 'craziness' where either peanutbutter (or any other random sh**) makes happy, or sometimes mad.. in these cases i usually talk to myself..., but it a strange manner in which i do it...

"yeah peanutbutter, everyone loves peanutbutter, but the question is, crunchy peanutbutter, or creamy peanutbutter. does anyone know the answer to that question, and if so, wouldn't it only be their opinion? especially if they like creamy peanutbutter, because everyone knows crunchy is better"

needless to say i only murmer if others are around and nobody usually notices, however i do not find it embarassing.

when i was young i used to mimic everything i said with my mouth, i found that quite embarassing, and it took a couple of years to stop doing it... just focused as hard as i could on not mimicing when i noticed i was doing it. now, i still catch myself mimicing occasionally, but more like once a year...

maybe just TRY not to talk to yourself, afterall speech is generally entirely controlled by you. if you're talking to yourself when you're just thinking randomly, try writing instead perhaps, that tends to not only make you silent, but help let out emotions, including stress.., if it's just when you're trying to work, etc... i think everyone does that, no big deal.
snow

Postby british » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.................I know that talking to oneself is normal, some people do it out loud, I do it out loud.............and believe me other people have laughed at me,I had a scenario at work not so long ago when two girls laughed at me, people probably think I am "crazy"......................I dont have a problem talking to myself but not as if I am speaking to a ghost in front of me............like quantum leap.......I speak almost as if i have another friend.........................my family alos know this problem and have pointed it out on many occasions.
british

Next