Citalopram & Alcohol

Postby Lessis73 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:14 am

I have been on Citalopram for nearly 8 weeks now. (10mg)Prescribed for depression and pannic attacks. I did use to drink quite a bit before but since starting my medication i have only had a few drinks on a couple of occasions. However last week i went to the pub and had about 4 pints of beer. Which i don't consider to be a lot but at about 5 in the morning i woke up and started beeing sick and felt really awfull. I had the worst hangover i have had i years (if i had drunk at least double of what i did).

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? Is this due to the medication or is it something else?

I know it is not advisable to drink whilst being treated for depression and i don't want to go binge drinking but i like to have the choice whether to have a few drinks or not when i am out with friends.

I have also started feeling REALLY REALLY tired again. It is as if i can hardly keep my eyes open and just want to lie down. Is this common. I cannot say i feel as good as i did after having been on them for about 4 weeks but i am not keen to increase my dose. I would much rather come off them.
Lessis73

Postby sadcanuck » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:42 pm

hi there...

i'm taking cipralex, which is a variation of citalopram i think!!

anywas -for the record, back at new years, i had a 'few' too many glasses of wine and proceeded to be sicker than i'd ever been before (due to drinking!) and had a record breaking hangover the next day!!

soooo.... although a 'couple' of drinks seem to be 'ok' for me.. any more than that is a pretty deadly experience.... would chalk it up to the meds and try to keep it really light in the drinking department from now on... nothing is worth the pain of the next day!! LOL!!

sadcanuck

Postby night_owl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Me too. I used to take citalopram. That and drink equals the mother of all hangovers. Fun stuff!
night_owl
Preferred Member

Postby PucC » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, Ihate to be different but...... I have no trouble with drinking - thank god! The first question I asked my dr was would I be able to drinkand she said no reason not too so that was good enough for me! Dont get me wrong I may have a glass of wine a night but then at the weekend I have a few or quite a few more and dont seem to suffer as bad as I used to! In fact I cant remember the last time I had a bad hangover - not what you want to hear tho eh? It must affect people in differentways for some reason.

As for the tiredness, everyone I speak to seems to be the same at the moment, whether it is the humidity I dont know but alot of people are feeling it at the moment.
PucC

Postby Frannybobs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm

When I was on Citalopram (40mg) I found that if I drank I would get more anxious even up to a day or so afterwards...yes and I became what I would consider a lightweight and got worse hangovers. At uni I could put away 5 or 6 pints and be ok, but on meds I find a couple of glasses of wine and I'm knackered and suffer afterwards. Maybe that's just age though - 28 is getting old!!
Frannybobs

Postby verabetty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 am

Ive been on citalpram for two months now and I too cant drink!! I used to be able to have a whole bottle of wine, now if I have half ive done well! (not like me at all!!) Im also very tired in the afternoons fell asleep while holding a cup of coffee on the table my two year old daughter came im and had to tell me to "wake up!" I havent had the hangovers yet but Ive not been able to drink that much so im not looking forward to that!! :lol:
verabetty

Postby verabetty » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:59 am

Ive been on citalpram for two months now and I too cant drink!! I used to be able to have a whole bottle of wine, now if I have half ive done well! (not like me at all!!) Im also very tired in the afternoons fell asleep while holding a cup of coffee on the table my two year old daughter came im and had to tell me to "wake up!" I havent had the hangovers yet but Ive not been able to drink that much so im not looking forward to that!! :lol:
verabetty

Postby Michael7 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:58 am

The answer appears to be find your limit and stick to it!
No matter what medication you are on it would seem that it can affect you, but as we are all individuals so it means we all have different levels of tolerance.

Mine really is an half pint - or glass of wine - in a DAY!

Best Wishes

Michael
Michael7

Postby Lessis73 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 am

Thanks for all your replies. I was worried that my body was rejecting alcohol but now i am glad to know that it must be the meds. Pheeeeew! I am slowly startin to come off them now but the thought of never being able to have a few drinks without feeling like the way i felt was worrying. I also had to go in to work that day which probably didn't help. OOOOOH the suffering was bad and a lesson learned for me. It's funny though cos i've drank on them a month or so back an i was fine.

I have a friend who has been on them for about 2 years and she drinks quite regularly and don't seem to be affected by alcohol at all. I totally agree its about finding your limit. I just won't drink now until i am totally off them.

Thanks again!
Lessis73

Postby K8 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Hey
I'm glad to know that Iwasn't the only one who citalopram affected in that way. I'd been on it just a couple of days and went out for a couple of drinks with some friends. I had 2 glasses of wine and went home to bed. Then I woke up at 5am and was violently sick, for the first time in years.I'm also a vomit phobic and I was also terrified I might be pregnant after that! When I went to the doctor about my sickness and stomach cramps (she did a pregnancy test that was negative thank god!) she said it was probably the meds. It seems to be that for a lot of people citalopram gives them little or no side effects but as with all meds different people are affected in different ways. I'd advise you to go back to your doctor if the meds are still making you feel unwell. My doctor transferred me to fluoxetine and so far, Iseem to be getting on ok on them, just a short term solution to what really needs to be fixed in my head though...
K8

Postby JonathanJ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:21 am

just been on citalopram for the last couple of months and just wouldnt believe that it wasn't mixing with alcohol, but wow, I've had some vicious reality checks on that one. I'm on 20mgs a day and of course it being summer and all, just dive into the partying in traditional style. Sleep badly, then the next day am just in the depths of depression, feeling like total death. Shocker, but to read these posts is a great relief. I am not alone! Hooray! :lol: think I'll have to moderate a little from now on!
JonathanJ

Postby mike86 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:59 am

When I was taking 20mg of citalopram per day, I went out one night and had about 10 pints. I woke up the next morning fine.
mike86

Postby Don Raggo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 am

At the moment, i am taking Citalopram (20mg) for my depression, and i cannot really go a day without drinking at least 1 litre of cider (7.5%) a day, if not 2, i am fully aware that this is a problem, but can it REALLY be a problem for my mind, let alone my body?

I'm actually really worried about this even though i cant balance my depression between my need for alcohol..

Thx in advance.. Don, :/
Don Raggo

Postby jurplesman » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:01 am

Generally speaking Citalopram and alcohol are no friends. Alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this medication.

Being a nutritional, psychologist I do not favour the treatment of depression with either citalopram or alcohol. I believe that we should treat the depression at the root cause, namely the metabolic disorder that causes us to feel depressed.

In fact there is no such thing as psychological depression, it is simply a nutritional disorder.

Please read:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder" --->here

and discuss with a Nutritional Doctors or Clinical Nutritionist.
Last edited by jurplesman on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jurplesman

Postby StevenMc » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 am

Well I have only ever been on anti-depressants once when I was younger, but I do remember that I had been told not to drink much while on them, as it added to drowsiness as well as some chemical in the depressant that reacted with alcohol to make effects a few times stronger.

Although I do have to say it is very brave of anyone to go onto depressants as it takes courage to admit that you need them. Last month my father had hanged himself, and had not given depressants that he had been given enough time to kick in. I do reckon possibly a wee bit of depression he had maybe rubbed off onto me, but nowadays
StevenMc

Next

Return to Depression