Non drug ways of increasing serotonin/dopamine?

Postby Bluesky » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi,

Just wondered what else you can do to increase the 'feel good' chemicals in the brain?

Trying to follow a diet similar to what Jurplesman suggests plus exercising regulalry...

Still lack motivation, feel irritable, anxious, find it difficult to gain enjoyment and feel quite dead inside most of the time.
Bluesky
Preferred Member

Postby Michael Lank » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:23 pm

As well as diet and exercise, relaxation is important.

5-HTP can help raise serotonin levels.

Some people have found St Johns Wort or Rhodiola Rosea helpful.

It may be worth looking at other things, such as thyroid, hormones etc.
Michael Lank

Postby PucC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi Bluesky, I have mentioned this in one of my posts before.....I go jogging and before I was on antidepressants this made me feel really good for a couple of hours afterwards. Also even though I am now on antidepressants I still find jogging so relaxing, your mind clears and I feel totally at peace jogging along without a worry in the world. I couldnt jog to the end of my drive when I started but gradually went a bit futher each time and now I can run about 5 miles (although I dont do that often!).
I would really recommend it and I think you will find that you will be hooked after a bit!
PucC

Postby PucC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Michael Lank wrote:As well as diet and exercise, relaxation is important.

5-HTP can help raise serotonin levels.

Some people have found St Johns Wort or Rhodiola Rosea helpful.

I just wanted to point out that if any females take St. Johns Wort, you should be warned that if you are on the contraceptive pill you must use another form of contraception as St. Johns Wort can reduce the effectiveness of the pill.
I went on this and bought it from a well known health shop and although I asked about it and what it did, i was never warned about being on the pill. My life could have been turned upsidedown if I hadnt read it for myself in a magazine! Phew no more patter of tiny feet for me thanks
PucC

Postby megan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:52 pm

there's supplements that help depression and anxiety that now also have some research back up, one of them is high doses of Omega 3 - but try and also get it in your diet, i.e. fish etc...but carry on what you are doing with diet and exercise because you would probably feel worse without it.

http://hdlighthouse.org/see/diet/supple ... /stoll.htm

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/11/1674_50306.htm

Sometimes its just a case of letting stuff go rather than try to sort everything out, you then get on a spiral in your thinking where anxiety builds.

There's a lot to be said for a "sod it" attitude
Last edited by megan on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
megan

Postby jurplesman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:10 am

There is now overwhelming evidence that nutritional therapy help treat depression. There are alternatives to drug therapy. In fact anti-depressant medications can only treat symptoms not its biochemical causes and in the end may do more harm than good.

For more information on alternative therapies see here.

People should also be aware that SINGLE nutrients like St Johns wort, 5-HTP or SAM-e, Fishoil and so on, can not always treat a mental disorders, because mental illness involves a very complex biochemistry, that cannot be tinkered with by simple and single or even multiple nutrients or drugs.

Please read:

Hit or Miss Supplements for Depression
jurplesman

Postby Ed_the_Red » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi Jurriaan,

I just gave the hypoglycemic test a go and scored 100!

I don't have a sweet tooth, per se, but have drunk alcohol in small quantities most days of the week since my late teens.

My friends joke that if we go somewhere I will be ok because there will be a bar there.

Last week, I drank too much and verbally lashed out at a friend (she doesn't want to speak to me anymore, it was that bad). The thread is called Drunken Outburst(!) in Relationships forum for anyone who wants to look.

That was a week ago and I've not drunk alcohol since but now it's the weekend I really fancy a drink.

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that it sounds like I could well be hypoglycemic.

I've read Potatoes Not Prozac and that seems to say a similar thing; Sugar can make us feel "crazy".

My diet is usually excellent but am wondering if suddenly quitting alchohol has made me feel rubbish of late.

I'm also going to try the supplements you recommend.

Thanks.

Ed.
Ed_the_Red
Preferred Member

Postby jurplesman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:13 am

That score indicates to me that you ARE hypoglycemic and that's why you are attracted to alcohol.

You may try Glycerine to beat the alcohol cravings.

Please read:

Why Hypoglycemics prefer Alcohol

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease

Once you understand the biochemistry of alcoholism you should be able to treat yourself.
jurplesman

Return to Depression