side effects with cipralex

Postby Ingrid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi , i have been taking cipralex for almost a week now, and feel horrible. i have terrible headaches, nausea, and no energy. is this normal? and if so, when should i satrt to see my headaches disappear? i can deal with the nausea, but my head is pounding!
Ingrid

Postby Hopeful » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi Ingrid
I've been on cipralex for over a year and a half but didn't have these side effects, though everyone is affected differently. I'd advise you to go and see your GP just to check that this tablet is suitable for you - these side effects may disappear with continued use however. The main side effects I have had I think have been weight gain in the long term and slight memory loss. Short-term effects were trouble sleeping at times and tiredness, though these were very tolerable. The best of luck
Hopeful

Postby jurplesman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:21 am

Please familiarize yourself with Cipralex.

You should discuss any side effects of drugs with your doctor.

But it would be even better to discuss the treatment of depression without recourse to any drugs.

Please discuss:

Depression: a Disease of Energy Production

with a Nutritional Doctor or a Clinical Nutritionist.
jurplesman

Postby sadcanuck » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:18 am

Hi there,

I started Cipralex last december - for me the nausea and headaches were gone by week three.... i think those are pretty 'normal' side effects - as in the most common ones....

k
sadcanuck

Postby beffie0 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Ingrid wrote:Hi , i have been taking cipralex for almost a week now, and feel horrible. i have terrible headaches, nausea, and no energy. is this normal? and if so, when should i satrt to see my headaches disappear? i can deal with the nausea, but my head is pounding!

Hi,

Ive been on Cipralex for nearly a year now, and I can assure you that the headaches will go.

I used to take Prozac but reacted badly - these are a much tamer option.

I have found that I do have a number of other effects - nausea in the morning, occasional headache, COMPLETE loss of libido and i have minor shakes/flinches if I forget to take it for a couple of hours.

However, its not all bad, I have changed so much since I started taking them - im a different person (which I never believed would happen as I used to think that anti-depressants were more or less a placebo!)

Let me know how you get on though,

Beth
beffie0

Postby Sandwich Artist » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 am

The side affects will mostly go away with cipralex. The only one I still have left is a really dry mouth, and some problems with blurred vision. The side affects really do start to get better after about two or three weeks. I was on celexa before cipralex, and it was far worse for side affects. (When they made cipralex, it was like they took one half of celexa. It's like celexa has two halves, and one has most of the benefits with little side affects, and the other has most side affects with hardly any benefits. And cipralex is the side with most benefits and little side affects.) So yes, the side affects will get much better. For me, it is like I have gotten my life back after being on Cipralex. Please stick it out, and keep in contact with your doctor. Cipralex needs about 4-6 weeks to really work at its' full potential, and then you can see if the side affects are still there. Your doctor can give you more information and help with the side affects. Good luck!
Beth
Sandwich Artist

Postby sadsoul » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:53 am

hi there, I had horrendous side effects with Cipralex, nausea, a nasty taste in my mouth, dry mouth and headaches. Thw headaches lasted a couple of weeks but the others remained with me for the duration that I took the drug. The drug did not work well for me anyway and I was switched to another one and didn't get those side effects. If after another couple of weeks and the side effects are still there I would go back to my doctor.
sadsoul

Postby Paul Doherty » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I have been on Cipralex for 2 years which helps with anxiety/depression.

My only problem is weight gain and tiredness.

I am looking to come off but worry about the anxiety side more than the depression.

Does anyone find that they have a fast pulse in their neck.Is this anxiety or a side effect of Cipralex?
Paul Doherty

Postby johnjoe » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:07 pm

Give thid SRRI 4-6 weeks and even more to kick in. The mood will lighten and gradually you will feel better.

Take care of your physical health and thinking processes as well.

It sounds like you are on the right SSRI, just give it time.

Joe (Nurse/Psychotherapist)
johnjoe

Postby Kaiju » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm

I've just started taking 10mg of Cipralex today but my problem is that I don't want to become dependant on the tablets. I was previously on Cipramil (rebadged to Cipralex) four years or so ago, but I gave up on them after a few weeks having not given them a chance.

Life was hell just starting University after that and I failed my first year, but in my second year I met my current girlfriend after breaking up from a previous unhealthy relationship and life finally become normal. Work also helps keep the anxiety at bay.

I'm with the same girl now having just finished University with a 2:1, but the panic/anxiety came back when she went to Hong Kong for a month. In many ways my anxiety/panic comes from isolation, but it also comes when i'm not feeling physically well.

I had my blood test come back today and everything was fine, but as soon the doctor prescribed me the meds, I started to worry. I was cursing the doctor a few minutes ago as now I feel trapped for the long haul. I really don't want to take the pills as I know i've got better without, but does that mean my girlfriend is the key and that something in the last month or so has become unstable.

Thanks for letting me vent. *sigh of relief*
Kaiju

Postby echelon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:51 pm

Ha, ha......God, this drug is terrible. It was great at first, but then it stopped working and a lot of my hair fell out! I've stopped taking it now and the hair is growing back!

What a joke! My GP won't send off the yellow card, saying that the hair loss is due to stress, so how come my eyebrows need plucking for the first time in 5 months about 2 weeks after I quit this drug? Stress??? I don't think so!

I am never taking SSRIs again in my entire life! They suck! The side effects are gross!!!!!!!!!!
echelon

Postby Happynow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:48 pm

Does anyone know of any long term side effects of cipralex?? Can this be damaging to long term health in some way???
Happynow

Postby DizzyDice » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Happynow wrote:Does anyone know of any long term side effects of cipralex?? Can this be damaging to long term health in some way???

Hello,
I have used Cipralex for fatigue (just in work) now for four years. At the first beginning it worked as described. I felt myself much better. Now everything is quite opposite. I feel me angry (strange feeling for me before). I cannot feel anything. My sexlife is gone finally. I am in danger to lose my job now because of uncontrollable behavior. I have got perhaps most of the bad effects as described of SRRI use. Using this medication seems to be irreversible prosess. Your brain will destroy because of the sypmtoms of the brain cells will die for trying to use this type of medical agent in a long run. Most depressing is that your libido never can never come back. But I am not the only one in the world. Use net to find more companions in misfortune. It is not really difficult! These SSRIs are dangerous drugs. Nobody should ever start to be using them.

Sry my english
Research Scientist (electronics) from Finland
DizzyDice

Postby georgia79 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 pm

There are now long-term studies on SSRI use. Scary but true. The health risks are massive. I wish people would start to wake up to this and stop just believing the "experts". The reason these drugs are created is for profit not people. How else do you explain the fact that some of the pharma companies have hidden information regarding these drugs in order to not affect sales.
From my understanding, and as someone who has been on SSRIs on and off for a while now, there are no permanent side-effects. Most things clear up eventually after a few years. The biggest problems with these drugs are adverse reactions ( which are still not recognised by all doctors - I have heard sickening stories of doctors insisting on dose increases when an adverse reaction is occurring ), cold turkey withdrawals and very fast tapers ( "take one every other day for a while" ).

These drugs were never designed to be taken long-term. I admit some people do need them with severe and debilitating mental health problems but I would go as far as to say that 70% of people on SSRIs could have been helped in other ways. Nutritional factors are a big part of mental illness I feel, but drug companies can't really sell fish oil can they.

Michael.
georgia79
Preferred Member

Postby erin24 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Dear God, the amount of times I've told myself 'I'll feel better in the tomorrow' and NEVER f***ing did!!! pardon my frech but I swear a lot more since getting GAD, I quite enjoy it. I have read a lot of blogs on cipralex so thought I would share my knowledge. I was on 10mg two years ago and it did work for me, however I felt slightly bad a year ago andwent up to 20mg. The side effects were horrible and I cried for days and didn't know why and that is the scariest thing in the world. After a couple of months i could really tell the difference and of course 6 months later, felt ver cocky, to the point of coming off them. They were reat, however sometimes even after having a great nights sleep I would feel tired, as an insomniac this is just no good. I thought I was ready to come off so I went down to 10mg and then to 5mg and then went back to the doctors with my anxious tail between my legs and said 'MAYBE I'M NOT READY'. I went back on 10mg but didn't really do much so I've gone back up to 15mg (are you still with me?) and right now, even afetr 8 hours sleep, I am f***ing drained, ratty, moody, scared and my eyes won;t focus, however, I suffer in the knowledge that in a couple weeks, I'll feel invincable again!. Oh and another quick note, don't feel ashamed or intimidated by a doctor, they all sh** and wipe their own backsides so don't take crap from any of them. I have been dicked around by so many and put up with it beacuse I was depressed and thought I porbably deserved, until one day I was sat crying in in the surgery and the nurse said 'it's just something you'll have to live with' I was begging for sleeping pills beacuse I had my dissertation and I needed to sleep and she said 'no, they're not good for you' so I looked at her and said 'do you have insomnia, deppression or anxiety' to which she said 'no' I said, 'well find me a doctor who has' 5 minutes later I had my sleeping pills, the doctor explained I shouldn;t beon them long term, but he understood what an acomplishment it was for me to finish university with this dreaded disease.

FINALLY!!!!!

This has helped me in a great way.... whether yo are religious or not, there is a book by DOREEN VIRTUE Called ANGEL THERAPY and it is amazing, simply beautiful. It has helped me through some very tough nights and days, and before I stop whittering on, just remember, there was a time when we slept well, weren't anxious or depressed and that will come again. So hang on people I don;t know but feel we share more than I do with most of my friends, beacuse everyday is another day closer to being better x
erin24

Next