How long does it take for citalopram/celexa to work?

Postby gomen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:27 am

I started taking it 2.5 weeks ago. At first I had pretty bad anxiety attacks in the middle of the night, but they would subside. For the past week, I have been soooo depressed. I have no energy to face things, I feel utterly lost and hopeless, and I feel horrible about myself. I just want to lie in bed and I can't do any of the work that I am supposed to be doing. I don't know if this is just my adjusting to the medicine, or if i am having some coincidental episode with my usual depression. Are things ever going to get better? How long does the medicine take to kick in?
gomen

Likes Received: 0

Postby bolijack » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 am

Hi there,
it shold now start to take effect. if not, you shold talk to your doc. I am taking it now for about 6 months, and am pretty happy with it. take care.
J
bolijack

Postby Hopeful » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:04 pm

Hi
I've been on cipralex for about a year and a half and was also convinced it wasn't working, however it simply took a while to kick in and it was worth persevering. Hold on and you should feel better soon
Hopeful

Postby johnjoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:26 pm

It takes on average 4-6weeks for SSRI's to work, so give them itme to get into your system.

Yes you may feel worse initially and feel all the symptoms you suggest. But your mood will lighten in time one the med start to slow dow the reuptate of seratonin which is what causes depression.

Keep yourself active, don't ruminate. Even thjought it is the last thing you want to do , get up abd be as active. When your body screams at you to go to bed, JUST DON'T. you always have a choice (even if it does not seem like it)

Take charge of your mind, and your body. The more active you are the less depress you will feel, as you are being distracted. Give your meds time to work.

Best Wishes.

Joe (Nurse/Psychotherapist)
johnjoe

Postby johnjoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:29 pm

Sorry about the lousy spelling, it is because my yping is crap!!!

I need a secretary.

Keep your chin up and persevere, as others have said.

Joe

(Nurse/Psychotherapist)
johnjoe

Postby gomen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:29 pm

So I started celexa/citalopram at 10 mg for the first week, then 15mg for the second week, and now 20mg after that. It was really rocky, but I started to keep a detailed journal of everything I was going through, and I noticed that the unbearable times were getting shorter and shorter-even if by only an hour or two-this gave me hope. I also noticed that if I shifted the time I took the medicine, it also shifted the low points. Not sure if this is due to the medicine, but still...Things continue to get better, and now I am no longer crippled by my worrying and depression, I can actually function, I feel better and never thought I would. I've also been studying a book on CBT as if I was taking a class in it! Why do we memorize formulas and equations, but not proper ways of thinking? My psychiatrist said I seemed a lot more calm. I'd ask my friends if this is true, but don't have any.

One recommendation I have is that getting on SSRIs can be rough for a lot of people in terms of intially increasing shakiness, tremors, anxiety, worry (which is the last thing you need if you are depressed/anxious!!!) I recommend asking the psychiatrist for some short term anxiety pill llike klonipin or xanax if this is available. I can't get them from my psychiatrist, but I know this might have eliminated a lot of suffering.
gomen

Postby johnjoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Great to hear you are feeling much better. Yes ALL of the symptoms will ease with time.

I would not recommend taking any more meds like Benzos, because if the help at all, you just need them more and they cause untold misery to get off, worse than depression!!

Keep up the good work. CBT books are very useful I have a lot , use it and practice exercises when you can. They give you a lot of insight.

There are loads of books on the market.

Best Wishes,

Write Again

Joe
johnjoe

Postby gomen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 pm

johnjoe wrote:I would not recommend taking any more meds like Benzos, because if the help at all, you just need them more and they cause untold misery to get off, worse than depression!!

oh yeah, sorry i meant to recommend ONLY taking them for the initial rocky period, when the anxiety is temporarily induced by adjustment to the meds. but maybe this is also risky, esp if one is addicitive type. My old psychiatrist would only give me a limited number of pills.

johnjoe wrote:Keep up the good work. CBT books are very useful I have a lot , use it and practice exercises when you can. They give you a lot of insight.
Joe

so the main problem is that if i try to listen to my negative thoughts, it is like an avalanche. i get overwhelmed and feel a little hopeless since to attack just one of them took me a couple days. maybe it is just a matter of time...baby steps...
gomen

Postby johnjoe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi, CBT will work.

Don't attack you negatives, leave them alone or you will use too much energy on that.

focus on what you want , and move your thoughts away from the negative to the thinking you want to hold.

CBT asks you to look for alternatives to your faulty thoughts. your mind processes what you think as being what you want.

If you can find alretnative meanings for faulty thinking then you move away from less helpful thoughts to real alternatives, so you don't feel do negative.

Joe
johnjoe

Postby dollface » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm

hiya. being a newbie to this site i'm not sure if this in in the right place but i've got a question about citalopram.
i have suffered from depression for years and have been treated by the doctor with various pills and potions :) now i've had another attack of depression and for the first time in 3 years am back on medication. the doctor has put me strait onto 20mg of citalopram per day which i have never taken before. i am getting hellish side effects and feel very very ill (although after only a week it seems my mood is lifting but maybe thats just hope) but physicly (sp?) i'm just not right at all. i'm breathless, disorentated, tierd. i keep yawning all the time and my limbs all feel heavy and pins and needle-y. is thi right? if so does it go away?
please somebody let me know! thanks
Emma xx
dollface

Postby johnjoe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi,

Sounds like you are getting the side effects of SSRI's --Citralopram.

They take up to 6 weeks to get the full effect, and you may feel you mood lifting earlier. Some doctors increase the dose up t0 60mg if necessary.

The side effects will ease off over a few weeks and when you start to feel your mood lifting your side effects will diminish.

What did you take last time for your depression?

You may find your appetite will be poor and you yawn a lot and be lacking in energy. The trick is to do as much exercise as you can manage, eat good food even if only a little, and be positive in your mind and emotions.

Look forward to getting back to your old self soon.

Best Wishes

Joe
johnjoe

Postby gomen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:59 pm

dollface wrote: the doctor has put me strait onto 20mg of citalopram per day which i have never taken before. i am getting hellish side effects and feel very very ill (although after only a week it seems my mood is lifting but maybe thats just hope) but physicly (sp?) i'm just not right at all. i'm breathless, disorentated, tierd. i keep yawning all the time and my limbs all feel heavy and pins and needle-y. is thi right? if so does it go away?
please somebody let me know! thanks
Emma xx

hi dollface, i think this is normal for SSRIs, as i just went through it, and I have gone through it with other SSRIs (fluoxetine/prozac). when i first took prozac i didn't expect these initial side effects and i really got scared and stopped the medication immeditely because i didnt know what was happening. i restarted it, knowing what to expect, and i was fine after a while. with citalopram i got very very tired, anxious, depressed, i'd wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding hard and fast and wonder if i was going to have to go to the ER -i just feel like all the bad stuff got amplified for a week or two. but it went away and i feel a lot better now-the tiredness went away completely-maybe KEEP a timed journal so you can reassure yourself that it is getting better. this is actually the second time i have taken citalopram. i took it 2-3 years ago but i was very very busy at that time, and ironically, this helped distract me away from the side effects i think.

Because of these side effects, I usually start the medicine little by little. i put a 20mg tablet in cup of water and then i drank 1/4 cup per day for about a week, then half a cup. sure, this drags out the process, but the side effects aren't as intense. dont do with certain juices (grapefruit) because i think they alter the make up of the drug. if things get worse, you should see your doctor. but i have found that things just get better after the first few days.

good luck,
gomen
gomen

Postby johnjoe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:41 pm

I would not recommend diluting your SRRI in water, and taking them gradually.

This will make the small dose ineffective, and drag out unecessarily the healing process of lifting you mood. Your side effects will ease, anyone on SRRI will tell you that , including myself.

All the side effects will easy away, just focus your mind on other thing, get busy, get focused.

Just Keep Moving

The idea is just to keep moving. I kept saying that to myself over and over this morning. I was downhearted by what has happened since September ll. Some of my work doesn’t seem as important as it once did, even though some of it seems more relevant. "What’s the use" I thought, Why bother."

"Why bother" is a thought which is probably the most destructive terrorist thought you can allow passage on the wings of your mind. And I caught that sneaky, cowardly, suicide bomber thought lurking around and trying to get a seat all morning. So I had to replace it immediately every time it came up with a better thought. The better thought I kept choosing to replace the terrorist thought was, "The idea is just to keep moving." Water the flowers. Go out to the garden and get roses for the front hall. Nobody is coming but is that a good excuse to leave the old dead flowers dropping their leaves all over the table? Do my exercises. I don’t feel like doing them today but is that a good excuse? I don’t feel like cleaning up the whole kitchen. Okay, I can put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher at least. The idea is just to keep moving. Do the next thing. I remember an old exercise on the web site and look it up. It helps to read the exact words. Somehow I feel more connected with things as I keep moving. Here’s the exercise that worked for me today: "Say this silently to yourself, to any stranger in the street, to any sufferer of whom you are aware. And if you will say this for me, I will now say it for you, "Peace be with you. You are not alone

Joe
johnjoe

Postby karenhutchinson » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:58 am

Last edited by karenhutchinson on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karenhutchinson

Postby johnjoe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:19 am

If your current SSRI don't eventually start to kick in , you may need to consider asking for a different one that might suit you better. Some suit one person better than another.

The dreams do ease off, in time, I had them as well, and once you start to feel better, side effects do diminsh with extra activity (you will feel more active and do more etc)

Best Wishes

Joe
johnjoe

Next