RACISM IN AMERICA: WHITE PEOPLE STILL SCARED OF BLACK PEOPLE

Postby imani t. misfit » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:48 am

Please dont rob me. Please dont rape me. Please dont harass me.

To see the way she reacted to me, I wouldnt be surprised if this is what she was thinking. Anyway, so Im walking down the street minding my business, when this white lady who is in front of me keeps turning around and looking at me. At this point, I dont know what she's looking at, and I dont really care. Yet, I cant help but notice the look on her face, it was a look of nervousness or light fear. If it wasnt for her constantly looking back at me, I wouldnt have even know she was there. What exactly she may have been nervous about? Well, your guess is as good as mine. The smoothest move she could ever make came when we get to an intersection, and she walks all the way to the extreme right side of the walk. At this point, it is undeniably clear that this lady was trying to avoid me. What exactly for? I will never know. You would think that a black man dressed in business attire with a clean haircut would give a white person the opposite reaction. Well I guess not.

Next wonderful thing to happen is when two teenage looking white girls are in the same elevator as me. I casually thank them for holding the elevator for me. Ok so I get in the elevator and iniated some casual chit chat. The usual chit chat when you see someone your age in the same work environment, you girls work in this building too? Its funny I never seen yall here... Now these are fairly attractive girls, but it is not my intention to make any advances. Just casual chit chat. In spite of that, I get the cold shoulder. One word responses as they keep looking at each other as if to signal a cry for help, as if I violated her space or something.

Is it just me or do white people still look at us as being subhuman? Well I mean, the obvious answer is yes, but I would have at least thought that it might have cooled off a little. I mean, Ive always heard of rumors of how white women have a sexual fascination for black men. But in most my experience, when initiating conversation they always act as if Im trying to rob them, even when Im talking about the most innocent thing. This is the kind of thing that can make a black man turn racist. In all honesty, it could make a person feel like sh** when people act like they are scared of you, like you are some kind of monster to be avoided. There is something that is separating us all, like there is an underlying tension between the races that I can sense, and until someone addresses it, it will probably only get worse.
imani t. misfit
New Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:10 pm


#1

Postby Helena » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm also very interested about how Psychology & related fields could contribute solving a sociopsychological problem.

I live in Europe, and I know that in the U.S. people still believe in "ethnicities" and "races"...

Since political campaigns can do nothing... what could psychologists do?

Or before that: what's the diagnosis psychologists make when tackling the issue of racism and xenophobia at an individual level?

Is it a classifyable as a subspecies of phobia, agoraphobia, that in time has developed into the fear of different coloured skins? O__o
Helena
Junior Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:17 pm

#2

Postby Sip » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:57 pm

it just comes from not understanding different races/cultures. I think when your a kid and you hang around black/white/asian or even different cultures of people you don't worry about it, because this white chick watches to many movies where the black guy either rapes her or trys to kill who ever they are following shes prob using that as a reference, thus the fear comes in.

"From understanding and knowledge one can destory any fear they hold." -- Me
Sip
Full Member
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:13 pm

#3

Postby juli05 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I think it's important to consider other factors, such as gender, height, build, dress etc. etc. when thinking about this situation. i know that if i'm in a neighbourhood alone that i don't know and there's a man walking behind me i always get a bit paranoid and find myself looking back. For me it's not the race of the person, but their general manner that makes me anxious.

i would be wary of always attributing things down to race when these days (at least in london) it often isn't the first thing that people notice.

try not to let it stop you from making friends and talking with new people
juli05
Full Member
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: London

#4

Postby howie9791 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:36 pm

i think juli05 point is valid, The women that you tried to talk to were probly just ignorant, sadly there are alot of them about.
Last edited by howie9791 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie9791
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:22 am

#5

Postby Dr. Steinwater » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:48 am

Because if you break past the stereotyping (IE black dude = gangsta= killa), its about preservation of race, and being proud of your heritage.

however genetics have shown that mix master races (black/white/asian), has proven that even if you marry a 'asian' girl and your a black man, if she has any white in her genetics you could get either a black baby or a white baby or an asian baby or some combination of the 3 or 4 or 5. Now wouldnt that be embarresing when your children go to have kids, same mistake over and over. the mistake repeats itself.

The fact that white breeding with white produces a consistant white child over and over again, means that any race that doesnt go outside their own race will produce children of consistant quality. The same goes with any stupid full breed race ok? not mix master ones.

If you ask me honestly, interracial anything should be for friendship and compansionship only. Not making children. I am honestly SO happy my mom, and my dad produced my sister and I. Since they were both euro descent. So I take my 'black' friend Tanya to meet my parents because she is my friend right? Get this, my mom says "you can date her if you want to". My jaw drops im like, uh mom thank god you're out of eggs lol. Id honestly kill myself if I had 50/50 genetics, sure is a good thing she didnt meet some asian dude lmao. but then again if I was a mix master race I wouldnt have anything to say about it because guess what, I am not of full breed.

There is a thing called IVF which allows you to marry anyone and then produce children of same breed. That way you can marry whoever the hell you want to (the ugliest chick ont he planet), and then plant an egg you bought via the IVF and produce a child more beautiful then you could imagine. The only thing is they cost 30,000$ per egg. Meanwhile that ugly person (the female for example, or yourself) can infact go extinct and therefor fulfilling the process of evolution without harming the inside psyche and her personality. She will be more fulfilled (she'll go extinct thinking she passed on her genetics), and the child more happy (the same race as the dominant adult). It's a win win.

the only problem with the ^ above stuff, is that you might love them enough to not care what your kids want. I personally want multiple races to exist. I want to see black people, and I want to see Asian people. I dotn want there to be one race. Because at that point nobody can be a racist. That isnt the way to overcome this problem. People are not logical though, theyre emotional.

Ive neglected to mention also that ten thousand years from now when weve all had sex with one another (meaning, there is only one race the mix master race). You will still see (frequently) reminants of what was individual races.
Last edited by Dr. Steinwater on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Steinwater
Full Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 am

#6

Postby Dr. Steinwater » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:55 am

howie9791 wrote:i think juli05 point is valid, i have also been aware of a woman being nervouse when i was walking behind one night and i'm white so i don't think its just a race thing. The women that you tried to talk to were probly just ignorant, sadly there are alot of them about.


I highly doubt theyre ignorant. Why dont you ask them and interview them, get their side of the point before you base your argument on the fact that "oh theyre just ignorant".
Dr. Steinwater
Full Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 am

#7

Postby good spirit » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:23 am

Hello imani t. misfit, I'm a white man in the States and I hope you don't think that ALL white people think that way. I see EVERYONE as completely my equal. The fact is that the human race(EVERYONE) originated in the African savanna between 200,000 and 250,000 years ago... So the reality is that we're ALL brothers(and sisters). :D



"To me there is no difference between one person and another; I behold all as soul-reflections of the one God. I can't think of anyone as a stranger, for I know that we are all part of the One Spirit." -Paramahansa Yogananda
good spirit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:17 pm

#8

Postby megan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:53 am

I find that in established multi cultural societies, people tend to live side by side happily. stereotyping people by skin colour or race is always borne of ignorance and fear, the longer we live side by side, the less this becomes apparent.

Of course pockets of racism still exist. There is a danger not only of stereotyping people but for people to 'assume' they are stereotyped when they are not. The assumption is 'oh this happened to me because Im black, you must be a racist' or 'they must think I'm sub-human, a mugger, a rapist' etc. when this is far from the case. Also if someone doesnt get a job, they may say its racism, when this isnt actually the case at all. Although of course sometimes this is the case. I have also actually witnessed racism between carribean people and africans and from different eastern european groups. It isnt always a black and white thing

People have a tendency to relate to people who are like them and feel at home and safe with people that are similar. introducing a different culture, language, way of life suddenly into a community on mass is bound to generate some fear and even resentment and this works both ways. Just as say Bangladeshi immigrants have come to England and stay in their own communities, still speak their own language, have their own clothes and religion and dont merge with the host culture, we very often view anyone different with fear and suspicion therefore resulting in a wall of resentment and mistrust between cultures, in this case asians and white (and established black).

Unfortunately stereotypes and divides will continue I think until people break down fear, mistrust, feeling superior (no one is!) and appreciate the value that diversity has to offer. Interestingly, in areas where black and white people have lived together for decades in harmony, racism is almost non existent. Its learning how to value and appreciate our different cultures and individuality, whilst enjoying our humanity - a common thread that binds us all!

The politically correct, lunatic fringe however who scream 'racist' every time the word 'black' is mentioned and want to abolish Christmas in case it offends other faiths (this actually happened recently) have actually done far more harm than good to race relations!
Last edited by megan on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
megan
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:53 pm

#9

Postby Dr. Steinwater » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:00 am

good spirit wrote:Hello imani t. misfit, I'm a white man in the States and I hope you don't think that ALL white people think that way. I see EVERYONE as completely my equal. The fact is that the human race(EVERYONE) originated in the African savanna between 200,000 and 250,000 years ago... So the reality is that we're ALL brothers(and sisters). :D


News flash its 2006. Yes there are different looking people, and yes genetic traits can be passed on. We didnt just originate from Africa, we branched out all over the world. All of these physical changes happened 'quite quickly" in the scheme of things, since time as we know it is quite short indeed. So as far as change, it will happen how it is supposed to. I fully intend to carry on my line of heritage so that my children one day will see that I took the precautions to preserve the so called "Race" that I am. Up until about 100-200 years ago people didnt move around much, didnt go too many places. I want to recreate that! :) It wasnt an issue, now it is. Now the dilemma of globilization is a reality. It will take many more hundreds and thousands of years for things to be fully understood by everyone.

dont forget the lovely fact that humans and chimpanzees interbred hundreds of thousands years ago...
Last edited by Dr. Steinwater on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Steinwater
Full Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 am

#10

Postby megan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:22 am

Hi Dr. Steinwater

I dont think anyone is threatening your culture here. The issue raised was about stereotyping groups of people because of their colour or race.

Your last comment is quite offensive. you are comparing animals and humans breeding with two groups of human beings. Such a comparison reminds me of Nazi Germany and its insidious and evil ideology that it was a "superior" race!
megan
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:53 pm

#11

Postby Leix » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 am

[b]Dr Steinwater, I am surprised the moderators have allowed your racist views on this forum whether latent or otherwise. Theyre offensive.[/b]


What good spirit said was true...Have alook back at your own heritage Dr Steinwater. I doubt very much that you are pure. in your family there will no doubt be some deviation to your norm. How outraged will you be if your children decided to have their kids with someone not sharing your ideals??!! :roll:

One of the reasons why we (The non-whites( :!: ) that`s me included) are denied any space is directly because our existence is testament to mixing across boundaries. I'm sure the racists and knuckledraggers would agree unanimously that we should be denied that space.

Every person present past or future who chips away at those boundaries should be celebrated as the heroes and heroines that they are, by everyone. People with different coloured skin aren't inherently different, ask a geneticist, race is a social construction. To argue that race is tangible, is to argue that people are inherently different and provide all the justification that is required to maintain the stratification that exists. Unless you're the kind of person who wants to have their little piece of the pie that is...

Challenging racial thinking is difficult as most people still have a narrow perspective on these issues. If interracial relationships were not even acknowledged then what of the many mixed race peope who were alive in America in the 60's? These issues are intrinsicallly linked and one cannot simply confront one without challenging the other.
Leix
Preferred Member
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: UK

#12

Postby Dr. Steinwater » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:02 am

Leix wrote:[b]Dr Steinwater, I am surprised the moderators have allowed your racist views on this forum whether latent or otherwise. Theyre offensive.[/b]


What good spirit said was true...Have alook back at your own heritage Dr Steinwater. I doubt very much that you are pure. in your family there will no doubt be some deviation to your norm. How outraged will you be if your children decided to have their kids with someone not sharing your ideals??!! :roll:

One of the reasons why we (The non-whites( :!: ) that`s me included) are denied any space is directly because our existence is testament to mixing across boundaries. I'm sure the racists and knuckledraggers would agree unanimously that we should be denied that space.

Every person present past or future who chips away at those boundaries should be celebrated as the heroes and heroines that they are, by everyone. People with different coloured skin aren't inherently different, ask a geneticist, race is a social construction. To argue that race is tangible, is to argue that people are inherently different and provide all the justification that is required to maintain the stratification that exists. Unless you're the kind of person who wants to have their little piece of the pie that is...

Challenging racial thinking is difficult as most people still have a narrow perspective on these issues. If interracial relationships were not even acknowledged then what of the many mixed race peope who were alive in America in the 60's? These issues are intrinsicallly linked and one cannot simply confront one without challenging the other.


I have not said the word pure in all of my writings. Period. I would be outraged, but then again I've figured out the trick to raising kids. And get this an opinion is that, also freedom of speech entitles me to express myself. I've stated and i know for a fact that there is no real difference between people. However I have expressed genetical traits that I value more than others. These genetic traits are not racist, theyre just my expression and interest in genetic traits more like my own. My 'examples' IE asian, black, white whatever...are just that examples. You see them as a threat to you. I think not.

Whenever I express my opinion to find a girl of the same genetic traits, people go bonkers and think god whats this guys problem. I laugh at their face.
Dr. Steinwater
Full Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 am

#13

Postby Hed Kandi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:15 am

Dr. Steinwater wrote:. However I have expressed genetical traits that I value more than others. These genetic traits are not racist, theyre just my expression and interest in genetic traits more like my own. My 'examples' IE asian, black, white whatever...are just that examples. You see them as a threat to you. I think not.

Whenever I express my opinion to find a girl of the same genetic traits, people go bonkers and think god whats this guys problem. I laugh at their face.


I am totally shocked by the above statement being rather judgemental and expressing a rather discourteous opinion that perhaps certain aspects of a race's "traits" are inferior to others, which incidentially is unequivocally untrue, and thus expressing a preference to that effect, almost suggesting a defect is present in that particular race, or a blatant reason why to dislike someone. Just for this, your opinions are invalid and deemed nullified.
Last edited by Hed Kandi on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hed Kandi
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18544
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:16 am

#14

Postby Dr. Steinwater » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:16 am

megan wrote:Hi Dr. Steinwater

I dont think anyone is threatening your culture here. The issue raised was about stereotyping groups of people because of their colour or race.

Your last comment is quite offensive. you are comparing animals and humans breeding with two groups of human beings. Such a comparison reminds me of Nazi Germany and its insidious and evil ideology that it was a "superior" race!


I challenge you. Here is my rebuff.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/200 ... chimp.html
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20060 ... g_ani.html

Surprise!! wont find that in the bible im afraid. Dont think it mentions that? I wonder why? Hrm no genetic engineers back in those days eh? ;-)

More importantly 'megan', my idealogy is nowhere near that of Nazisim, or a Master Race. Infact if you reread my posts I welcome a variety of races. Nazis didnt. They had plans to exterminate everything that wasnt blond hair and blue eyed. Once they had established full control over the planet. Didnt happen. and probably a good thing since diversity assist in growth. My simple and yet positive frame of mind states that certain genetic traits are more valuable to myself and to others if we keep in our own 'race' pool. Why? Because 100 years from now, every hot blond haired guy or blond haired girl will be on interests of anyone who isnt blong haired or blue eyed.
Since different races do exist (I didnt check the box off on a form i filled out the other day stating I was caucasian for nothing) you cant just say were all equal. Not yet, soon we'll all be one race (million years from now lets say). Then you'll have your master race, a mixed one, but one race nonetheless.
Dr. Steinwater
Full Member
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 am


Next

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Psychology