Why did my doctor order a CT scan?

Postby Mindvox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Following on from my post in the Head Pressure thread, I thought I'd start this one of my own.

I go back to my Doctor's tomorrow for my Blood Pressure check up, but my appointment for the CT scan he ordered also arrived the other day. Bottom line, when I mentioned the head pressure on one side (left), he said that there was "no alarm bells" ringing ... so why did he feel the need to order a CT scan? Surely if there were no "alarm bells", then there would be no need for such a severe test?

I'm now incredibly worried that come 14th August when I go for the CT scan, that I get told I have something horrid. I really don't want to go for the thing, and as I said ... I personally don't see the need for it if there are no "alarm bells", as my Doctor put it.
Mindvox

Likes Received: 0

Postby purplemonkey » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:05 pm

He probably did it because it will set your mind at ease, otherwise being an anxiety sufferer you'll do your own head in
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Postby Mindvox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:30 pm

purplemonkey wrote:He probably did it because it will set your mind at ease, otherwise being an anxiety sufferer you'll do your own head in

The thing is ... I've not been "diagnosed" as having anxiety issues. :?
Mindvox

Postby purplemonkey » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:33 pm

I think then, he's just being overcautious. If you had a brain tumour you'd smell strange things and be projectile vomitting among other things
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Postby purplemonkey » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:34 pm

I think also even for most normal people it provoke some anxiety not nowing what it was! So it still is probably to set your mind at ease
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Postby satanstoystore » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:03 pm

that and I know here in the states doctors can get a kickback from ordering more tests.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby Mindvox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Just for clarification, I'm from Glasgow in Scotland. :wink:
Mindvox

Postby jocraven » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:25 am

Hi mindvox, I have an appointment at the brest clinic on the same day you go for your ct scan. I am only 34 but I have a lump in my right brest (sorry if to graphical for you). My doctor has said she doesnt think it is anything to worry about but wants to put my mind at ease, especcially as my mum died from breast cancer when she was 43. So I can feel what you are going through. I am very nervous about it ( i have been diagnosed with panic/anxiety attacks) but I know it is for the best. My husband is coming with me and I know he will be a great support. My biggest fear is if I totally lose it while driving as my husband cant drive. I know I will be fine and I am sure you will be too. Will you do me a favour when you have been? Will let us know how you got on? Thanx. Take care you will be fine just you wait and see. :D
jocraven

Postby Mindvox » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Jo, and thanks for the reply.

I went for my Blood Pressure check up this morning, and it hadn't come down any since last week ... I've still been dealing with the loose ends of the mortgage and my girlfriend is having some hassle at work, suffice to say ... it's not been the easiest of weeks (yet again!).

Anyway, at one point my reading was 182/104 ... insanely high. It eventually came down once I'd calmed down, but still read 172/102, so I've been put on medication to bring my BP down to a safe level. I've been started on the smallest dose (10mg) to see if it has any effect, if not I'll need to moved up to a higher dose, as well as make changes to my diet (more fruit & veg for a start). I'm 6"3 tall, and weigh 15.5 stone (not sure of pounds measurement, sorry). I'm nowhere near obese, don't smoke and don't drink apart from the odd social occassion every two months ... if that.

I've also had various muscle twitches for almost three years now, and when I went to the Doctors for these at the time, he suggested I go and see a Neuro. Suffice to say, I came home and typed Muscle Twitches into Google ... and Motor Neurone Disease links greeted me. Suffice to say, I thought I was doomed. However, I just got on with it, learned more about these twitches, forgot the Neuro appointment, and now three years on the twitches have all but disappeared. For the record, my Mother has High Blood Pressure and also has random muscle twitches ... linked?

My Doc again reitterated that the CT scan was nothing to worry about, and I informed him that my girlfriend burst into tears when she heard I had to go for one. He basically said that the Southern General hospital (Glasgow's main neuro hospital) constantly reminds GP's of their services and if there is a lack of appointments. The Doc has a budget to use, and the Hospital wants their services used. Put 2 + 2 together, along with the need for me to have my mind put at ease, and you can see the end result.

Finally, my Doctor said that if there was anything major happening inside my head (or anywhere else), then these "symptoms" would not come and go for so long.

So, I'm going to phone the hospital and put the appointment for the CT back a few weeks, just to give this BP medication a good run to see if they help. My Doc also took four veils of blood to send for testing my Cholestorol, my Kindney functions, and probably for Diabetes, etc.

I'll keep you informed, and thanks again for your replies everyone.

:wink:
Mindvox

Postby jocraven » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi, my dad has high blood pressure and has had all the tests. Now my dad is very over weight. He is losing the weight now and the medication he is on is working and i think he is only on 3mg of which every tablets he has been pescribed. His colestoral is fine and so is his sugar and the rest so I am totally sure that you will also be fine with no problems at all. Do let me know how your tests come back. Tell your girlfriend to hang on in there things will sort out and every thing will be back to normal. Sounds like you have a strong caring relationship and that goes along way. Both of you take care and stay strong. :D
jocraven

Postby tm3912 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:19 am

Mind, not sure why you would want to push back the CT. even if you rmedicine brings down your BP you will still want the CT. Keep the appointment and don't put it off, ou will be happy you got it over with.
tm3912

Postby Mindvox » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:33 pm

Well, part 2 of this story took place on Friday when I got my blood test results back.

Doctor was happy to tell me that my blood work was "perfect". Heart, Liver, Kindey's all functioning normal, and I'm just waiting on the red/white count coming back but he doesn't envisage any problems.

I also got my Cholesterol reading back, and was shocked to hear it was a very low 4.2. My Doctor was really happy with that one, and I honestly thought my Cholesterol was going to be sky high.

So, the third and final part of this story takes place on Monday when I get my CT scan at 9:30am. I didn't put it back, and have decided to get it over and done with ... and I've been assured that if everything is normal then I'll walk out of the hospital about 15 minutes after the scan is done.

That, more than anything else, is what I'm aiming at happening.

Fingers crossed ...
Mindvox

Postby jocraven » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Hi mindvox, That is really great news I am so happy for you. I knew in my heart of hearts that you would be ok. My appointment is at 9.20 on Monday so I will deffinatly thinking of you. That will help take my mind off of what I am doing. Good on you as well for getting it over and done with, I think we can all find it too easy to put things off. Fingers crossed for both of us on Monday. I will post as soon as I can on Monday to let you know how I got on, I hope you will do the same. Understandably there are other people who need to know first. But when you have let them know and you have a spare moment I would be happy to hear from you. I am sure it will be good news and if not I would love to be here for you to help support you along if that is ok. Take care of yourself I know all will be well. Jo :D
jocraven

Postby Mindvox » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:08 pm

Hi again, Jo.

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

As bizarre as it sounds, I know I don't have a tumor ... yet I keep panicing about this scan. I had my eyes tested just three weeks prior to my latest "tightning" session, and the Optician said I had perfectly healthy, albeit short sighted, eyes. If there was anything tumor wise in my head, then the Optician would have seen it during the exam, which was very intense since it was my first in almost five years. :oops:

My Mum used to work in an Opticians herself, and she's seen people being sent away before with closed letters and references to the local hospital because the Optician has found/seen something. And my Mum has reitterated that if there was anything in there, the Optician would have seen it.

I guess I'm more worried about what they could find, other than the obvious one. I've had random muscle twitches for 2 years now ... began in my quad muscle as a patch of skin bobbing up and down now and then, and quickly moved to every part of my body (shoulders, back, arms, face, rear end, even down *there* ... sorry for being crude). They actually went away for months on end, but have come back with a vengeance during this time of stress (buying the house, and now this). Of course, at the time, being a bit of a hypochondriac, I thought I had some rare nerve disorder ... which I've since learned doesn't present itself with twitches and that anyone who twitches for more than a year, without other symptoms (weakness, muscle loss, etc), does not have it.

I'm just keeping myself going right now with two things: Firstly, that my Optician gave me a thorough eye exam and found nothing. And secondly, that my bloodwork came back "perfect" according to my Doctor.

Trust me, I'd love nothing better than to just ignore this CT scan on Monday ... but if I'm going to get over this hypochondriac phase of my life and begin enjoying my new home with my wonderful girlfriend, then this is something I must see through.

It's at times like this that my online monikor seems most apt:

Mindvox translates, roughly, in latin to "Voice of the Mind".

Thanks again. :)
Mindvox

Postby jocraven » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi, just to let you know I got the all clear for my ultra sound. I have to wait a few weeks for the mammogramme results but the doctor said no worries as it is showing up as breast muscle. So I am really happy with every thing and I feel as though a huge weight has been taken off of my shoulders. I now know that I am not going to die and leave my children with out a mum like I have. Let me know how you got on with your ct scan. Take care and best wishes to you and your girlfriend. Jo :D
jocraven

Next