i cant eat

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby vwbug » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Im 18 years old and have suffered from depression for about 2 years.
A year ago the doctor put me on anti-depressants i stopped taking them afer a week as they started my panic attacks off.
At first it was full blown attacks, i could'nt breath and my heart would race.
I dont have that as much now, i seem to foucus on one thing, food.
I cant eat, the thought of eating makes me feel sick.
I worry about it all the time, ive lost so much weight and im tied all the time.
I have to avoid going for meals with frinds and family as i start to panic and scared i'll be sick.
[/b]
vwbug

Postby purplemonkey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 pm

Try eating fruit salad, that's all i could eat to start with, try taking domperidon/motillium (available from any chemist) to clear the stomach contents quicker and stop the nausea and sickness
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Postby orthomolecular » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Zinc plays an important role with eating, taste sensation, digesting protein, etc. I have read that some SSRIs can deplete the body of zinc.

You can buy Zinc Status in a health food store and see if you have a zinc deficiency. This products works by the fact that with a zinc deficiency your sense of taste is diministed. The Zinc Status is actually just some liquid zinc that you won't taste if you are dificient. You can give this to young children and know immediately if they taste anything because the stuff is bitter, or matallic really. Zinc Status is the name in the US and costs less than $20, but in the UK they call it Zinc Talley.
orthomolecular

Postby whoopsie » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:46 am

purplemonkey wrote:Try eating fruit salad, that's all i could eat to start with, try taking domperidon/motillium (available from any chemist) to clear the stomach contents quicker and stop the nausea and sickness

I take domperidon. It helps with the nausea but doesn't help you put on weight. I have been taking it for around 4 years now because of my phobia of vomiting and because it empties your stomach quicker, you're not getting all the nutrients you need.

I'm not saying not to take it, just thought you would like to know. I'm desperate to put on a stone but it's impossible on these tablets. I'd rather be skinny than be sick tho

xx
whoopsie

Postby Budgie » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:38 pm

I have just "stumbled" on this site and could cry. I too had that same problem, literally overnight. I am 5ft 5ins and dropped to 6st 12lb, I could not eat. I thought about eating and food all the time. I could not sleep, I was tearful. I would eat and it would make me gag, and I thought "I can't eat this" and so I just could not do it. I would worry and dread every meal. It was horrendous. I went to my doctor, did various tests, nothing wrong with me physically, but they thought I was anxious, so they put me on a low dose of Zispin, that was 18 months ago. I am now 9st 6lb. You have to overcome this yourself as I found nobody understood me. At meal times I watch TV, read or have a conversation, so I am not concentrating on eating. Then I make sure I do something afterwards, wash up or whatever to take my mind off the food in my stomach. I make sure I eat even if I am not hungry. Try making your portion sizes smaller so you feel more accomplished when you leave an empty plate. To put the weight on I have been eating donuts, sausages and taking full fat milk. You have to get yourself out of the negative repetitive circle because otherwise it just feeds off itself. Now I still have these thoughts and it is a problem. Strangely it's less of a problem when I am away from home on holiday and if I don't eat at the appropriate time (say for example lunch was late) I do become anxious about it. Just think to yourself I can do it, and you will, it takes time. My heart goes out to you.
Budgie

Postby weyyy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 am

i think im going through sort of the same thing :roll: but im bulimic i dont binge eat or anything like that, to be honest i hardly eat at all.
weyyy

Postby pghuk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 am

Well I'm about 6"1 and weigh 8 and a half stone, but I am only 17. I tend to not have an appetite most days because of my anxiety and the 'sicky' feeling I get in the morning. I'm very thin, being tall doesn't help because I just look lanky, I hate it. I find it impossible to put weight on anyway, even when I eat and eat and eat I won't put on an ounce. I don't do any excercise and eat mostly junk food, you'd think I'd put on something, but no. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be fat, and unhealthy, I just want to put on weight but I think at this age my metabolism is preventing any gain. I've had blood tests and they were all negative, thyroid is Ok for instance. I guess I just have to give it time, eat a little better and get some excercise and hopefully as time goes on I'll get bigger. It's a real problem for me, I have a huge self esteem issue because of it.

Are there any alternatives to the obvious eating and excercise? Can I take something for instance which will help me put on weight? The doctor hasn't mentioned anything.
pghuk

Postby 3/4's hope » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:24 am

I've been fighting this forever. While the best way would be to address the causes of the appetite loss, I find that the loss of appetite in and of itself causes depression and anxiety. So this is a symptom of depression and anxiety causing more depression and anxiety.

What worked for me was Remeron (aka Mirtazipine). Within a couple of days of taking this medication my appetite increased dramatically. I could easily eat a large lunch and dinner. Also, the weight actually stayed with me instead of the usual, 'eat anything I want, can't gain an ounce' scenario. I'm going back on it next week or I'll have to by an entirely new wardrobe as alot of my clothes no longer fit (had a complete physical wednesday, problems above the neck only).

Remeron also helps with sleep. Please consult your medical professional for more information.

Another thing that was helpful for me was drinking nutritional 'milkshakes' like Ensure (U.S. trade name), it's not really a milkshake, but it sort of tastes like one. 350 calories in a tiny 8 oz. serving.

Please keep in mind that a better approach to the appetite problem is to find out waht is causing it. Gaining weight relieves the anxiety caused by the weight loss, but what's causing the anxiety in the first place?

Really hope that helps.

:D
3/4's hope

Postby JoJo07 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:52 am

Im finding that im just beginning to lose my appetite, im not really interested in food anymore whereas before I would eat regularly. I can never eat a full plate of food and just tend to snack on junk when and if im hungry, even when I know I feel hungry and my stomach's telling me I am, I'm not interested :? Is this due to anxiety?
JoJo07

Postby askdrpete » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Intellectually, you know you need to eat. Understanding that, I can't think of any other way to say it, but you'll have to force yourself. Go through the motions, even if you don't want. Make it a routine. But you have to if you're to survive.
askdrpete

Postby smiler smiler » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 pm

hello.

i suffer from panic attacks, i am depressed, but my main problem is with food...i so badly want to put on weight, i hate being skinny, but my panic attacks mean i cnat eat. i am always so anxious, i aim away from home at university, and just about managing to survive. i find it soo hard to eat, cannot go for meals or eat with people becoz i just gety panic attacks about food, then feel sick and cannot eat....it is driving me crazy. i know it is anxiety, but its ruining my life...i have a total obsessio nwith food, i cant bare not eating, i just want to eat all the time and put on wieght, but the more i thin kabout it, the more it makes me anxious and then i just throw up...

BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO TALK TO "BUDGIE" WH OHAS POSTED A REPLY ON HERE....YOU STORY IS EXACTYL LIKE MINE, SO I REALLY HOPE YOU WILL REPLY TO ME....

cheers, smiler
smiler smiler

Postby smiler smiler » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 pm

dfgdfg
smiler smiler

Postby Budgie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Smiler

I don't know what made me but I just decided to take a look at the forum and I haven't been on here in months. Then I saw your post. Hey I am still here to tell my tale. You will get through this. I know it seems all consuming and that from the moment you wake up until you go to bed you cannot think of anything else but trust me, it will become easier. It won't be a matter of days, it will take a while, but you must persevere. I re-read my post and stand by what I said. I am no medical or psychological expert but can only tell you what I went through and how I coped. I can tell you of no reason why this happened, it just did. Talk to somebody and speak to your doctor if you feel you cannot cope. Do you have a good friend at uni? If so speak to them. I understand how hard it is to get out of that negative state of mind, but you need to eat to survive - basic. Try and do what I did, it worked for me. Eat smaller portions of food to feel like "great I have cleared my plate" and then slowly increase the portion size. Eat fatty foods (yes I know unhealthy but so is not eating), have full fat milky coffees, eat later on in the evening when you don't burn it off so quickly. Keep your mind occupied at all times, that is most important. Believe me it will get better. Now almost 4 years later I don't even think about food in that way. You will get your appetite back you just need to relax a little and try not to let it rule your life. Please speak to someone, get some support to help you through and just battle away and beat it. If you want to speak to me I will be happy to help.
Budgie

Postby sasha.lavine » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey there...well im 19 years old..i suffer from something like you except i eat more rather than less and put a bit of weight on from this.. Is there something that you enjoy eating? then maybe you should eat that more and mix it with other things..if not then try different things...you have to relax and eat! everything will just get worse if you dont eat and you will feel more crappy in yourself..you could get very skinny and end up in hospital through that...thats not what you want is it..think of your family..shock them and eat a meal with them normally...i know its easier said than done but you really have to get your mind in to it..
just focus on yourself and make yourself overcome this..its a fear a very bad fear which if taken to far can eventually lead to death..
I dont expect you to do it step by step..take baby steps..write yourself goals down on what you want to achieve for yourself..and think when you have reached that goal how good everything will be..Good luck to you. x
sasha.lavine

Postby smiler smiler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:58 am

firstly, thank you so much budgie for replying to me :)

i have had this for nealry 3 years now, i saw a counsellor, no use....my doctor knows all about my panic attacks, and i had 6 sessions with a psychologist...thats helped a little, for like a week but then its all went back to square one again....only i can change this, because its my ngative and panicky thoughts that set me off.....once i start to panic then thats it, i cant eat...and when i cant eat it takes at least a week to get my appetitie back.... :( i do have days weh ni eat quite well,but thats only wen i am completely happy & relaxed...the slightes thing puts me off and thats it....and ppl wonder y i cnt eat with them, or go for dinner and all that....i just panic, panic about the POSSIBILITY that i wont be able to eat (coz im so used to feeling like i cant) and that panic sets off a whole chain of feelings, and then i just feel SICK....its crazy..but its not just food, its all sorts, i get panic attacks about life!!! LOL....

the more i panic that i cant or havnt eaten the worse ifell...imtrying this, "im not bothered if i eat or not" approach.....(i reli do obviously) but ive found that it makes me feel a lot more relaxed and then i find it easier to eat...but it only works sumtyms, im slowly trying.....and i eat small but often, have beendoing for the last 3 years...LOL....

but iappreciate everything u say, i relido...and i will keep in contact.....

speak soon....

and by the way, thanks for the post strait after budgie's, sorry 4got the name, but it was form the 19 year old girl :D ima 19year old girl too...x
smiler smiler

Next

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks