Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Anxiety and alcohol This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Anxiety and alcohol

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Korboy21

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:16 am

Anxiety and alcohol    Reply with quote  

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone experiences worse anxiety after a night of drinking. For me, the hungover feeling absolutely reaks havoc on my anxiety symptoms. Just seeing if alcohol has the same effect on anyone else. Thanks
~Kb

california_girl

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:38 am

YES!    Reply with quote  

Same here-- I hardly drink anymore at all. I have all but stopped except for an occasional martini. If I drink alot, I get heart palpatations and it makes me think I'm having a heart attack... which brings on the panic attack. Not fun.
jurplesman

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:41 am

Alcohol can have a different effects on different people.

Generally speaking alcohol is an hypoglycemic substance, in other words it tends to lower blood sugar levels. This is why moderate alcohol consumption can be beneficial to diabetic people, but can be disastrous to hypoglycemic people.

Hypoglycemic people, thus people with unstable blood sugar levels, tend to have adverse reactions to alcohol. Some people experience a change in personality when they drink alcohol, and can even become violent or aggressive under the influence of alcohol. They may act "out of character".

This happens when alcohol causes a hypoglycemic dip and their brains become energy starved.

Some people seem to enjoy themselves under the influence of alcohol. This may be because alcohol is also an antidote to adrenaline, the worry hormone. They may feel strangely confident in the presence of people and this explains why alcohol may be described as a "socializer".

However being a hypoglycemic substance it can cause low blood sugar levels and this will kick in adrenaline (to raise the BS levels) and so some people have aggravated anxiety attacks. When I was sick, I loved alcohol, because of its tranquilizing effects on my anxiety attacks, but unfortunately it caused me many a sleepless nights. I know others would fall asleep under the influence of alcohol. We are all different.
Alias_unknown

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 am

Yep i found anything that makes you feel crap makes you feel anxious.I was dealing with my anxiety by drinking if it wasnt for drink I wouldnt have gone out at all but every nmorning anxiety wakes you up with a double dose for the one you missed,Id advise you to quite drinking at least for the time being while you sort out the anxiety problem.Im not saying you have a drink problem which it sounds like I am ,I just think you would get better from anxiety much quicker if you cut out the alchohol.good luck
AnxiousAmy

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:23 pm

I totally agree that the day after a night of drinking is plagued by intense panic symptoms...I am 22 years old and have only experienced anxiety problems for about 3 years...I have always been a worrier, but about three and a half years ago I had my first anxiety attack while at college...Ever since then I experience mini-panic attacks several times a day...Anything from swalling my food funny, to a muscle ache can trigger my attacks...I too began finding that drinking a few glasses of wine at the end of the day would settle my nervousness, however if I have too many, the next day is horrible...In the back of my mind I know that I am simply experiencing hangover symptoms (headache, nausea, 'loopiness,' etc) but my anxiety feelings take over intensly and I feel like I am going to either pass out or even die....its terrible, but joining this forum and realizing there are other people of all different backgrounds that have similair symptoms/reactions to me is reassuring to know that I am not the only one Very Happy

Im new by the way Shocked
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:49 pm

yep does me too, takes about three days afterwards to get back to some sort of equilibrium
layla
Preferred Member

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Hi, yep me too!
I had my worst panic attack ever the day after a drinking session. Now I still drink 'cause i like it, but in moderation....I never get drunk anymore..
jurplesman

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:19 am

To beat anxiety temporarily you may try Glycerine, but the ultimate solution is going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.
syke_n_sugarstarr

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:56 am

Oh my god, im so the same.. See the doctor has dignosed me to have a dependency on drink.. i drink alot throughout the day.. but i dont get drunk. then I wake up with bad thoughts and then its stright back on the drink so i can get through the day..
Ive had real bad panic attacks after drinking.. its really not pleasent.
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:12 am

your probably drinking so much to medicate yourself against having the anxiety, but its double edged sword and will make you worse as your body builds a tolerance to it. Try and save it for the weekend as a treat.
haze

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:35 pm

it's the same way for me with alcohol....hangovers are THE worst for nerves.
it takes me a couple days to recoup but sometimes i will do it again, hair of the dog....it sucks.
jurplesman

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 am

If you are treating anxiety attacks with alcohol, it means you are hypoglycemic. The treatment is going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

See:

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease
haze

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:29 pm

i tell myself that heavy drinking only worsens the anxiety.
but sometimes socially, i lose control with it.
i use it as a tool to loosen up and don't know when to stop.
last night, a dinner party with friends, one too many glasses of wine...i feel anxious today, worried, spacey, paranoid....ugh!
it also makes me very depressed the next day.
haze

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:17 pm

i also noticed i get worse hangovers/anxiety after a night of beer drinking as opposed to wine....

i wonder why
ScarletPimpernel

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:18 am

Drinking    Reply with quote  

I have sometimes wondered whether alcohol is actually the CAUSE of my anxiety, rather than just an aggravating factor.

I use alcohol as an anti-anxiety medication like many others. I don't drink excessively most of the time, and never during the day, but most nights I will have a couple of drinks and maybe once a week will have a binge! If I am going out eg to the pub I will make sure I am well on the way to being drunk before I get there so I can face it!

Excessive alcohol DEFINITELY makes my anxiety worse the day after. Panic attacks are more frequent and more intense, and it also makes my generalised anxiety and depression worse. After a binge I will not leave the house the next day for fear of panic attacks.

In summary my observations are:

-It exacerbates my anxiety, depression and panic attacks.
-It greatly increases physical symptoms like blushing and sweating - in anybody, not just anxiety sufferers.
-It ruins your physical health. One thing that I have realised recently is that to beat my anxiety I need to be in top physical condition (I am far from it at the moment!)
-It prevents me from doing anything positive - I waste time sitting alone drinking when I should be doing something to help myself and also I cannot function properly the next day.
-It is psychologically destructive when you know you are destroying yourself or abusing your body - a bit like self harm.
-I have done stupid things in the past under the influence!

Sorry to get carried away, but this is a subject I have given a great deal of thought to! I guess you are probably not as bad as me with your drinking!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: