Benefits of being off weed

Postby wakinglife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 am

betsycandoit wrote:Thank you so much for listing them all out! Can you explain more on how you find new doors opening to spirit world (somewhere I only used to get to via cannabis)?? I’m interested!! Thanks a lot!!

Although I wrote that over a decade ago, I'll try to explain what I meant by that: smoking weed was something I did to get into an altered state and connect with the spiritual aspects of my being. The word "spiritual" has many meanings for different people, so it might not be the clearest point of reference. I will define it as "something greater than the mundane day-to-day existence" or perhaps "a glimpse beyond the veil of concrete matter into something intangible or transcendent." To tap into altered (or deeper, or non ordinary) states I have different ways to get there that don't require substances. For example, drumming, physical exertion, ecstatic dance, meditation, being present (mindful) in nature, and yoga are all ways that I can get in touch with higher aspects of my self (or my "spiritual" side) that don't involve ingesting an external substance.

Of course, looking back on something I wrote in 2006, I can't say precisely what I might have been referring to. I do know, however, that leading a life free from my addiction to cannabis allows me greater access to all parts of my being, including my spiritual side.
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 196

Postby Thisismytime » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post here but been reading for a long time now. Will make a own thread later today of my journey but will give a little information here first. But would like to thank Evernote here for sharing there stories and help!!

I am 24 years old been smoking weed since I was 12. But weed everyday since I was 14 about 3-5 grams a day.. I went cold turkey 13 days ago and haven't smoke since then. I also got a cocaine addiction since 4 years ago (using 3-4 times a week), this might sound crazy bu my cravings is actually much harder for the weed than the coke!!! I almost never think about coke since I quit that as well 13 days ago... But will make my own thread later today so will just put down the benefits I got so far here after 13 days no weed.

1. I am having dreams for the first time in 10 years, and it's amazing!!!

2. I perform much better at my work! (Sales)

3. I feel more secure about myself..

4. I eat alot more!

5. I am more optimistic about my future

6. I am here!! (And not in the clouds 24/7)

7. I can look people in their eyes now!

8. My skin and redness of.my eyes has got alot better!!

9. I feel more for people and have gotten less selfish in life..

And all this only after 13 days.. to be honest after the 3 first days is gotten really easy for me to quit.. maybe to easy so I'm nervous the worst is still to come, let's see. Anyway I'm strong this is my time, this little plant cannot break me!!!! I'm so happy writing this right now... I really thought I would smoke until I die but know I now I will NEVER take a puff again.... :)

Also for it other people who going through the same I find this motivation speakers that help me alot in the hard times..

And also a cup of realaxing tea helps before bed time I found out. And no coffee after 3 day time!!!

Thank you all and keep strong, never give up!!!!!
Thisismytime

Likes Received: 1

Postby wakinglife » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Congrats to those new arrivals who have successfully quit! The path of change is a journey: one that takes you to a completely different destination than the one your addiction was leading to.

On a personal note: my healthy father died suddenly a week before Christmas. We had an excellent relationship, and I miss him dearly. There were times in the first week after his death that I was tempted to self-medicate with cannabis or other substances. I'm glad I stayed strong in my resolve. By staying drug free I was able to emotionally show up for my mom -- my parents had been together for 50 years, so her reality has been completely shaken. I spent almost 3 weeks with her, back in my small home town.

When life rattles the core of your being, having a clear mind and a healthy body allows you to regain equilibrium. Mind you, it's still early days (one month since Dad's death). This path through grief will be a process, but I know in my heart that I'm up for the journey.

I appreciate you, anonymous forum friends. This place, with its kindness and unwavering support, will help me find my way back to brighter days.
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby cleanofgreen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Wakinglife you've been an inspiration to us all here on uncommon and you have no idea how many people you've unknowingly helped to a better place.

Let me offer my condolence and say sorry for your loss.
Stay Strong
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 119

Postby SoulFull » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 am

Wakinglife, I offer my condolences. I am so sorry for your lost.

I understand how you feel as I lost my healthy father in a car accident. I self medicated my grief with weed, and that was the time I started smoking heavily. It didn't help at all as I wasn't fully there for my mother during those early years we lost him. It damaged the relationship I had with her. She didn't know that I was stoned most of the time, I was ashamed of seeing her, and she thought I had abandoned her. That was 8 years ago. Only now, I'm starting to see the relationship between my mother and I getting better after I quit weed and sobered up. I explained everything to her, and she wasn't surprised. Instead she forgave me for all the hurt I caused all these years because she knew I was hurting too.
You are right. Having a clear mind and healthy body is better to regain equilibrium. I bear witness to the truth of what you've just said. And I wish you all the best.

Stay strong Wakinglife. We wish you well.
SoulFull

Likes Received: 29

Postby Rikagain » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 am

Wakinglife, I offer my condolences to you on your sad news. You have shown amazing strength not to resort to weed during this as it would be so easy to try and numb your feelings.
I lost my mum about 2 months into my quit, it wasn't unexpected as she'd been ill for a while but obviously it hit me hard all the same. My sister called me with the news in the early hours of the morning and I got up and had a cup of tea and a cigarette, if I'd had some weed I would have had a joint for sure. I'm glad I got rid of it when I quit because as you say, I was able to deal with my emotions and be strong for my family.....and now I'm just coming up to 10 months since my quit day.

Thankyou Wakinglife, you've been and continue to be an inspiration to us all, I wish you and your family much peace and love,

Take it easy my friend,

Rik.
Rikagain

Likes Received: 48

Postby HDog455 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am

Hey Wakinglife, Sorry to hear about your Dad. It's just over 10 years since my father passed away and, when it happened, it was like a physical blow. But time heals and these days I only really remember the great times we had fishing and playing golf.

In fact, his passing was one of the main contributors to my decision to quit pot - I didn't want him looking disapprovingly down at me from heaven. Quitting my addiction was one way I could show my respect to his spirit.
HDog455
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 60

Postby newme2018 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi all

29 DAYS OFF THE WEED!!!!!!!

absolutely buzzing about this (excuse the pun) :P

Before I mention some benefits i wanted to tell abit about myself.

39 years old, smoking daily for the last 15 years. Absolutely desperate to stop but always had excuses not to.

Got to a point where I was just smoking by myself, always feeling guilty and always making plans about what I will do when I quit. Life was a daze, was not performing well in my job and was becoming depressed, anxious and lacking in self confidence. It was like Groundhog day, work, smoke and lounge around infant of the TV.

When it came to weed I would never think abut finances, but when other more important things like bills etc would always try to put them off as much as I could.

Benefits I noticed so far;

-Dreams, I love them and almost can't wait to sleep to have them!

-clearer thinking, I actually read my emails at work instead of reading the first couple of words and replying.

-getting things done, i tend to put things off less

-slowly getting my confidence back

I will post more once I have had some more time pass!

This is a great thread, many thanks to waking life.

trust me when I say if I can do this anyone can, Good luck!!!!!!

My condolences to waking life, head up mate
newme2018

Likes Received: 2

Postby alan81 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am

Weed has both good and bad effects on body. It is very potent in the treatment of Glaucoma, Migraines. It also slow tumor growth. But too much use of it could be malefic and could lead to various disorders.
alan81

Likes Received: 0

Postby wakinglife » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm

alan81 wrote:Weed has both good and bad effects on body. It is very potent in the treatment of Glaucoma, Migraines. It also slow tumor growth. But too much use of it could be malefic and could lead to various disorders.

I'm not sure why you would post this on a thread with the title "Benefits of being off weed". Yes, there might be medicinal properties for various ailments. I created this thread to offer support for people who have developed a dependency on weed, and who might need some reminders as to why they quit in the first place.

I'll now get this thread back on track.

Benefits of being off weed that I appreciate even in the long term:

Having the clarity, patience, and mental stamina to help my teenagers even when they are clearly acting irrationally due to the hormones of puberty. I have a son (16) and a stepdaughter (15). I also teach high school. Adolescents can be exasperating with their moodiness and obstinance. Had I still been the daily pot smoker that I was 12 years ago, I think I would deal with these frustrating teenagers in one of two ways: be "mellowed" by weed to the point of not giving a damn, or being irritable and unloading on them when they pushed me to the edge. Of course, after this long, it's impossible to do a double-blind study to know exactly how I would be different if I had continued down my cannabis-paved path. In my gut, I know that without weed I am a more present, caring and patient positive adult influence on my children and students.

Please add your own benefits to this ever-growing list.
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby nomorepot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you for your thread, waking life. You are doing a great job. I've been clean for a year now after 12 years blazing.
For those who's still in doubt regarding benifits here's a link to my story viewtopic.php?t=106491
nomorepot

Likes Received: 3

Postby wakinglife » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Just passed 11 years, 7 months cannabis-free. I’m pretty sure that 12 years off the weed will arrive in July— but I don’t want to get cocky. To borrow an idea from the 12-steppers, gotta take it “day by day.”

Feeling great, and wishing everyone else on here the strength to persevere towards living a life they can feel proud of!

WL
wakinglife
MVP
MVP

Postby HDog455 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:38 pm

wakinglife, 12 years - that is fantastic! I have just passed the 10-year mark and am still so proud of having been able to quit a 30-year chronic addiction cold turkey. I think you will agree that this forum is a vastly different place compared to when we first joined - but it is great that it is still active after all of these years.
HDog455
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 60

Postby Marcster44 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 am

Tomorrow will be 7 months totally sober and 220 days off pot. My social anxiety and paranoid/ racing thoughts have gotten noticeably better over the last 2 months. Which is huge for me. The sleep issues are getting better the more I work on getting a good routine. I had sleeping problems before I started smoking pot though so its just more easily accepted. I still have to take 50 mg of benadryl a night then I read for a an hr or two or until I'm just nodding off. Seems to do the trick most nights lol...
My memory both short and long term have also been getting noticeably better over the last few months. My emotions have been coming back too, but in phases that I can't pattern together lol........... All in all things are finally looking less bleak.
I think I'm on the " pink cloud" that AA groups talk about. So I'm staying vigilant to that. I just can't wait/ hope that I can someday get to a year sober.
I've been reading all of your posts over the last few months and it has been encouraging for the most part. I love the love and support y'all give each other. Now lets just keep fighting the good fight. Peace n love from AZ
Marcster44

Likes Received: 11

Postby Rikagain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Well done Marcster! Sounds like you're doing a great job my friend.
Thanks for your encouraging post, best wishes,

Rik.
Rikagain

Likes Received: 48

PreviousNext