MARIJUANA CRAVINGS ARISE AGAIN AFTER 7 WEEKS SOBER

Postby Dustcake » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:31 pm

Anyone experience this?...I have cut out pot cold turkey after years of smoking every day...went through all the w/drawal symptoms (sweating, headaches, vivid dreams, irritability, tiredness, etc...) and after about a month the symptoms seemed to subside. I now have my regular appetite back and feel back to normal. However, in the last few days, I've felt some of the same tiredness coming back and have an intense craving to go get some dope. It has been around 7 weeks without any, and now my mind is saying that I should just go get some because I can control it. I know this is not the case and I know I can't control it from years of trying to quit and/or cut down, but anyone experience a renewed craving after weeks of not craving it at all?
Dustcake

Postby lp_ultra » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi there,

In my humble opinion, the best thing that you can do at the moment is become completely tee-total. Don't drink any alcohol (because this will make you want a spliff), don't go to a GP because s/he will give you some anti-depressants and you will become hooked on them. Another thing that I suggest is try to avoid all of your friends that take any kind of illegal drug. Move to a different part of the country or travel around Europe. There are so many opportunites in life and Cannabis takes all of them away from you! Cannabis is not a friend, it is a bad deceiver.

I was totally (psychologically) addicted to weed and still get the thought of inhaling a joint and it is painful because I used to love it, but when I think about it, I only enjoyed the first spliff anyway and after it had worn off, the second was never anywhere near as good... It is a hard thing to stop something you are dependent on or enjoy but there comes a time when enough is enough and you need to start respecting your body and mind again. If you can address the issue of why you started in the first place, you are half way there. I am tee-total now, I have so much more energy and vitality and enthusiasm for life. You will be a very proud person when you eventually stop and you will find more positive doors opening for you... BE STRONG!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I post these points to everybody who is having problems quitting weed:

Pro's of Remaining on Weed:

1. Nice warm feeling of the weed high
2. Feel relaxed, nothing bothers you
3. Anticipation and roll of next joint
4. False sense of creativity (which could be acheived if sober)

Pro's of Quitting the Weed:

1. New sense of self-worth
2. More energy, no cannabis lethargy
3. More motivation
4. More Money
5. A lot more respect from others around you
6. A whole new range of opportunities begin to appear
7. More up for doing different kinds of activities
8. Sharper more vibrant personality
9. Less or no paranoia
10. More attraction from opposite sex
11. Health for the body and mind
12. REALITY IS BACK!!!

Take care.
lp_ultra

Postby Roinh » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:53 am

lp_ultra wrote:In my humble opinion, the best thing that you can do at the moment is become completely tee-total. .

Im sorry but I have seen this comment on the board a lot and I dont think its good advice. Anyone doing this is taking a massive step and hugely dramatic lifestyle change which is incredibly difficult to do. Its seting your self up for huge fall because you have so much banking on it. And when soemone fails so spectacularly they will absaloutely dread giving it a go a second or third or fourth time.

People try to hard and when they do they often fail hence making themselves even more miserable. I stopped four weeks ago and I really hope I wont start again. If I slip up I wont see it as a total loss, I will just try again. In my case though I only smoked for four years (but im addicted for sure)

BUT if I fail I wont see it as that, I will see it as a learning step to success (eventually) In other areas of my life (career) when I fail at something I see it as another way not to do it, although addiction is slightly different the principals are the same.

I say baby steps, that way your not setting yourself up for a huge crash if it goes wrong. Better to try four times in one year than four times in ten years.
Roinh

Postby Roinh » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:03 am

Dustcake.

I think its natural to feel the cravings, you wouldnt be human otherwise. cannabis is a very powerful thing and works on the mind on so many levels. When we smoke the world just seems to be right........but you know its not, thats why you have stopped, and me.

Im now four weeks today. I cant sleep worth a damn thats my biggest achiles heel. The temptation to go get some weed for a goood nights sleep is high but Im determined to carry on and Im sure I will succeed. But Im also human and if I ever slip up I wont discard weeks and weeks (or months) of good work and say to myself "Oh well what a loser Im back on it so I may as well go full steam ahead" No, i will just put it out of my mind and carry on cannabis free.
Roinh

Postby lp_ultra » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:38 am

Roinh Quote in response to my tee-total lifestyle advice:

"Im sorry but I have seen this comment on the board a lot and I dont think its good advice. Anyone doing this is taking a massive step and hugely dramatic lifestyle change which is incredibly difficult to do."

Roihn,

Okay, you are entitled to your opinion and I do agree with you with regards to your quote: being tee-total - "it's a massive step and a hugely dramatic lifestyale change". However, people who are trying to get clean need to do it properly, I believe STRONGLY that cutting down or moderating use just does not work with Cannabis. I've tried it time and time again and it didn't work. The only true way to quit is to quit, period!

Also, as for my tee-total advice, I believe there is a strong correlation between drinking Alcohol and smoking Cannabis. I personally thought Alcohol and Cannabis was an excellent mixture and if I have any sort of Alcoholic beverage now, I want a spliff, I may be in the minority but this is my experience. Quitting Alcohol was pretty easy for me because I never thought it was that great anyway. Cannabis is what I was addicted to.

I have come to the conclusion that human beings in the western world / 1st world should not need any kind of drug to feel relaxed, enjoy life, enjoy a night out etc etc. There are enough acitivities available to occupy our minds. In the past, I NEEDED to get drunk, stoned, drugged to enjoy a night out, now, I simply appreciate being alive and can enjoy anything with my natural state of mind.

Dramatically changing your lifestyle is not a difficult thing to do if you want to improve your quality of life. People have it drilled into them from a young age that you work Monday - Friday, 9 - 5 and on the Friday or Saturday, you should go for a few beers to end the week. This is fine if you are a sensible person who has a good level of self-control. Unfortunately, there are some people that do not have this innate quality and need to get drunk in order to enjoy the evening.

So, as a constructive and refreshing change to your lifestyle if you suffer from substance addiction tendencies, it would be best to cut all ties and become tee-total. The overall benefits would be enormous, 9999999% improvement to overall health and more money to spend as well as avoiding the dreaded hangover. If you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. If the person is strong willed, they will see that this is a great idea!
lp_ultra

Postby Roinh » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm

I believe STRONGLY that cutting down or moderating use just does not work with Cannabis. I've tried it time and time again and it didn't work. The only true way to quit is to quit, period!

I never said he should cut down or use cannabis in moderation. I was referring to your sweeping statements of giving everything up.

I believe there is a strong correlation between drinking Alcohol and smoking Cannabis. I personally thought Alcohol and Cannabis was an excellent mixture and if I have any sort of Alcoholic beverage now, I want a spliff,

This is your experience, not mine and neither should you assume its everyone elses experience.

I have come to the conclusion that human beings in the western world / 1st world should not need any kind of drug to feel relaxed

but sadly the reality is that in the western world we are the most stressed people on the planet. The farmer in the middle of China is far less stressed than we are. Western governments and the media constantly pitch the idea to us that we are so fortunate and so much better off than others around the globe because we have Sattelitte TV, Mobile Phones, and internet is absaloute nonsense. We have a multitude of worries to deal with. think about it, and write down all the day to day stuff you have to deal with to survive in our so called 'better Off' society you will be amazed for sure. I can also guarantee you that our society is not envied in many so called developing countries. These peoples instinctively know the value of family and the really important things that matter to a person.

The epidemic of drunken behaviour on the streets of the UK every Friday and Saturday is really shocking to see. I lived abroad for over 8 years and on my first weekend back the scene looked like something out of a war movie. It really was carnage and I was so embarrased because I had a friend with me from Venezuela who couldnt understand it at all. There is a reason for this. People in this country do work hard but are constantly ripped off at every turn. Pay this, pay that, your fined etc etc.

Dramatically changing your lifestyle is not a difficult thing to do if you want to improve your quality of life

Oh come on, we all want to improve our life, but for sure to dramatically change ones lifestyle isnt easy. Perhaps an improvement in our external influences would help toward improving our inner self.

Your final paragraph goes on about sensible people with self control. I think most people are sensible but that heavy grind during the week is released at the weekend. Yo uwill see business me and women who lead perfectlysensible lives during the week but get totally plastered on a Friday night. Again I go back to the causes of this which I mentioned above.

Ive lived in a number of coutries so lets take Spain for example. They totally do things 'Tomorrow' their never a hurry to get it done right now. They still believe in their Siestas and have more public holidays than any other European nation. Of course I saw drunk spaniards but nothing on the scale of what we see in the UK. And I didnt see the cannabis problem like we have in the UK. In fact I didnt know any Spanish who smoked it....only I did (for sleeping purposes) or so I thought.

In the UK your life is your work and your mortgage. Its all people here are obsessed about which is lunacy. When we die are we going to take our semi with us. We live in a materialistic me me self driven culture and the mind cantcope with this thought process indefinitely hence the drug usage problem.

I know some of my post there may come across as political, but there are real social issues that are a huge part of the cause of Cannabis useage. I mean in my city in Scotland I hardly know anyone who doesnt smoke cannabis and Im talking about people with families and mortgages.

All Im saying is that your advice of going teetotal is probably right for someone with an addictive personality but its isnt right for everyone. To deny ones self every pleasure in this current climate would be like throwing a match in to a powderkeg. make no mistake our governments know there is a huge cannabis problem, but of course they want you to stay in your house, watch TV and dont think about stuff to much. Yes they put on a little show of concern and fake help but it really doesnt exist.

Before I stopped I went to my doctor to see if there was some sort of help. I was offered Anti depressants which I refused, and was given a telephone number of Narcotics anonymous. That was it... I was flabbergasted. For sure there is no help in this country for cannabis addiction whatsoever and theres a total epidemic on the loose.

But a placid population is an obedient population

Sorry i probably went off on one there :)

And I still havent smoked the weed :)
Roinh

Postby lp_ultra » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:25 am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my quote:
I believe there is a strong correlation between drinking Alcohol and smoking Cannabis. I personally thought Alcohol and Cannabis was an excellent mixture and if I have any sort of Alcoholic beverage now, I want a spliff.

your quote:
This is your experience, not mine and neither should you assume its everyone elses experience.

Okay, I'll give you that one. I should not assume that everybody experiences the same as I.

I also agree with what you are saying regarding the western world and that we have more worries than most. However, there is a lot of ambiguity here. Even though the technology and media may be controlling our lives and everyday living stressing us out etc. We still have many opportunities and activities in life to pursue. My argument is that we shouldn't need any drugs to enjoy things. Alcohol has obviously become a massive part of western culture and nothing will ever change this but I don't see why people feel the need to be merry or whatever to have a laugh. I personally don't enjoy alcohol (when taken alone) at any level and only did in combination with other drugs.

my quote:

Dramatically changing your lifestyle is not a difficult thing to do if you want to improve your quality of life

your quote:

Oh come on, we all want to improve our life, but for sure to dramatically change ones lifestyle isnt easy. Perhaps an improvement in our external influences would help toward improving our inner self.

Yes it isn't easy but people must realise that they DO need to change their lifestyle in a major way if they have drug problems because generally, every activity that person does is associated with the drug. I.e. if a person is watching TV, the do it stone, same with music, playing games, everything. The vast majority of people that I know who get stoned, do drink a lot of alcohol on a daily basis, i.e. at least 2 or 3 cans of lager per night. So giving up alcohol isn't such a bad idea.

I'm not going to get into a political argument because this would turn out to be an endless discussion. Everybody hates the world government, I personally believe that there is a New World Order and that everything in our lives is designed to condition us and control us, TV and media especially. We in the UK do get raped at every angle but there's nothing anybody can do to change it.

your quote:

In the UK your life is your work and your mortgage. Its all people here are obsessed about which is lunacy. When we die are we going to take our semi with us. We live in a materialistic me me self driven culture and the mind cantcope with this thought process indefinitely hence the drug usage problem.

I do get the impression that you are defending (in some respects) the usage of drugs as an escapism from this 'unfair world', that's the feeling that I get from your political posts. You seem very unhappy at the way the West is treated. We are all in the same boat, but using drugs (including alcohol) is not going to change this and only makes a person want to do it again and again to escape from this totalitarian government. And by the way, people don't really have a choice in the matter of 'materialsm and security (mortgage etc)' we are brainwashed into believing that this is the only way to be perceived as successful by others. Money is what life is all about, we are slaves in every country, we are forced to work and forced to conform to the rules that we are given but this is not MY problem. I have a soul, I have a certain amount of freedom within this cage. Alcohol and cannbis do not let you out of this cage, they merely let you forget that it exists!
lp_ultra

Postby Dustcake » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 am

Hey it's me again...that first post of mine was about a year ago. I went cold turkey just over 2 months, and then completely broke down and bought a bag, and the addition was worse ever since. That was about a year ago. I got to the point that after two months of sobriety, I just wanted to kick back and actually enjoy getting high, listen to music and play guitar like I used to when I was in college (10 years ago) before I was a chronic smoker. Yeah, the first time felt great but I haven't stopped since, and when as before I was smoking a quarter every two weeks, I doubled that this time around. It's too the point where I feel sluggish and sick until I smoke, usually around 5:30am. It never slows me down (except cardiovascular) and I continue to lead a completely normal, productive life (and no one knows I smoke). It is easy to function because it never really feels like I am "high" anymore, unless I am not.

I can travel somewhere out of my environment and not have cravings because I have no access to it, but when I have access at home is when is the problem. I am disgusted with the whole situation, baked or not-baked. I don't have anyone to talk to about it, not because I have all stoner friends, but because I don't know of anyone else who smokes (or who knows I smoke and would approve). I'm a well respected professional and would be the last person you would see and believe is an A1 Chronic.

Anyone out there with a similar circumstance? I don't mean to be an elitist, and I don't think I am, but I could relate to someone in a similar circumstance rather than one who has trouble because all their friends in school smoke pot. How about those who found the addiction stronger after seperating oneself from it for a while?
Dustcake

Postby Fata » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:06 am

Hi Dustcake,
I am a woman of 42, was a professional, held my last job as director of production of a Brit company, well respected, had a good professional reputation, my friend considered me slightly wild in the private life but nothing serious AND was an A1 chronic smoker/addict.
I gave up many times, every time I started again it was worse than before.
I read somewhere that addiction is a progressive illness and it will get you soon or later, you never know how low you'll go this next time.
At the moment I found a lot of comfort in some of Jurplesman's posts where they talk about psychonutrition and the hypoglycemic diet to explain why cravings come about and why we seem so powerless and what to do about it.
By myself one day I had a haha moment, you need to be well enough to give up, I could never explain this concept to anyone until I came here and found out about the chemical imbalances in the brain brought about by daily smoking.
Supplementing your diet helps, knowing that the cravings will come and the things your mind will tell you helps too.
I have just compiled a list of excuses I can never ever again use to smoke again that first one joint, now I am going to write other 2 lists, one to remind myself why I no longer want to smoke and one to remind myself the benefits of not smoking.
I have given up the longest for 3 months, but now I have learned that it seems like a recurring pattern among people who have given up, so next time that won't fool me either.
I guess it is paramount to know the nature of cravings to defeat them
they come in waves..and if you give it enough time they will go away
they lessen with time
they lose intensity with time
Smoking is a tought, we can choose to think about something else
Whatever your mind tells you needs to be screened out and not just taken on board, your mind is sick, to restore some of the brain wiring it takes 6 months to one year, better check out the real intention of your mind before giving in, check your excuses list , some of mine I am in control, just to sleep, I just want to celebrate, this time will be different, look on your checklist, if the excuse is there you know it's a lie, it's the craving talking
and last have faith, this too shall pass, I remember at the 3 months marks how happy I was about kicking it..so happy I just had one joint to celebrate my freedom and here I am again .. :) Back on the merry go round :)
In 2 days I will join you, no more alchool and dope (for me it's better to give up both together, I have noticed when I drink I want to smoke..but maybe other find harmless confort in some alchool.
I usually give up cigarettes as well at the same time, the body detoxes much faster.
Oh, and I want to share this other thing I learned, when you shed fat you will have a craving as THC is stored in the fat cells.
But you cannot flash it out with water, it's not water soluble just fat soluble, take one tablespoon of olive oil every morning on an empty stomach, then go for your shower, then have your breakfast with a hot herbaal tea, it will flush much faster, Vitamin B3, Niacin, seems to play a very important role , so take the B complex, you can double the dosage and take vitamin C up to 3000 per day, all the drug addicts and alchoolics have tested they lasck vitamin C too, I found steams and exercise help too, it's all about getting it all out of the body as fast as possible to reduce the craving down the line.
Hope this helps, dear fellow traveller, such an insidious addiction you wouldn't believe it, this time I am going to beat it, I have all the info about the enemy now and about how cunningly MJ moves through the body ad through the mind.
I want out for good, I wish you all the best in your journey, we can do it, did you test negative for stupidity too?
Then we can get out of this, now we know enough to never be fooled again BY A PLANT?????
Hope it in my heart for everybody on this site and for myself, who needs to go through this SEVERAL times..
Oh, yes, apparently ME :)
Hope you make it, it's a great help to those who are about to take the leap to wattch the success of others and sometimes their relapses too, it makes us all so much more human..and compassionate :)
Much Love to all
Fata
Fata

Postby Fata » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 am

... sorry posted double
Fata

Postby YacketySax » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Dustcake,

I can relate to what you say. Especially the bit where you say that you just wanted to start smoking again and try to get it back where it used to be and just enjoy it.

I've tried that lots of times, but I just cant enjoy it in the same way anymore. My problem is that I hate it when I have it, though miss it badly when I dont. I long to go back to those old days of carefree smoking. Though now within days of getting a bag of weed I am all too quickly reminded of why I wanted to quit. The headaches, the cloudy feeling when I wake up and the chest pains all come back to quickly remind me why I wanted to quit in the first place.

You said in your post that the only thing that it is holding you back with is your cardiovascular health. That for me is the focus of my quitting. As nothing else seems to motivate me for long enough. The cloudiness passes, the headcahes go, and then the boredom just seems to settle in, which more often than not leads to to thinking that I just just get back to enjoying my smoking and stop whinging about it!

It's a tough cycle. Do you regret having bought that bag after the two months? Do you want to quit again? Or are you just trying to weigh up all the pros and cons again, and just not that convinced that it is bad for you?
YacketySax