coming off st johns wort

Postby princessleia31 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi does anyone know of any problems suddenly stopping st johns wort? I am desperate to get back on my contraceptive pill as I suffer terribly from PMT and on the pill my hormones are nicely regulated and I feel better. Obviously I haven't been taking it with St Johns Wort but am now a bit fed up putting up with PMT moods and feeling down from that! I have anxiety and depression.
princessleia31

Postby Tigerpeach » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Hi there

I am not aware of any problems with suddenly stopping St Johns Worts, I am currently taking them (about 2 wks) and I was concerned about the sensitivity it can cause to your skin in sunlight, I asked the assistant in the health shop where I purchased them from what I should do when I go on holiday as I suffer from prickly heat anyway and she said not to take them while I was away and to re-start them when I returned from my hols, I said is that ok to do then and she said its fine, I don't think they cause withdrawal symptoms unlike ad's.

Just out of interest how long have you been on the SJW's and have you found them to be of any help?

Do you suffer from skin sensitivity?
Tigerpeach

Postby princessleia31 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi I've been on St Johns Wort for about 2 months and I think it has helped my mood regarding the depression but doesn't seem to lift the anxiety to be honest. Its reassuring to know I could just stop taking them. The doctor wanted me to stay on them for 6 months after I feel fully better but being off the pill makes me feel worse! Can't win eh!
princessleia31

Postby jurplesman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:57 am

St John's wort can interfere with the birth control pill.

If you want to treat your PMT and depression, it is better to go on a Hypoglycemic Diet including the nutritional supplements mentioned there.

Please read:

Hit or Miss Supplements for Depression.

Please also read: Premenstrual Syndrome
jurplesman