Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Get bored easily and it's affecting my entire life!! This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Get bored easily and it's affecting my entire life!!

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
deshman

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Get bored easily and it's affecting my entire life!!    Reply with quote  

So, I am 24 year old Male living in North Carolina, USA. I have a good job, a great girlfriend, and cool friends, but I am not happy. I seem to get bored VERY easily and want to change my life constantly. After I graduated from college and got a job, I have felt that my life is missing something. I think it's my job, so I moved. I think it's my girlfriend (we are complete polar opposites) but I don't want to end things with her. I get bored hanging out with the same people all the time. I don't like seeing/doing the same thing everyday. My girlfriend soemtimes talks about marriage and family (which my family is broken and marriage is just a troublesome task) so I get scared and push her away. Does anyone else feel like this?

neyzen

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:39 pm

I am unemployed. I dont have any girl friend. I live alone but I never get bored.
deshman

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:53 pm

well thanks for the help [Edited by Site Admin]
Nicklt

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:27 pm

wow wow, lets carm down, we don't want to turn this into a flame thread. Lets just say both those posts never happened.

Do you feel like you life is unforfilled? Is there anything you wan't to do that you feel like you are held back from doing e.g. Travelling?
deshman

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:26 pm

^sorry for the mean post...i expected that kind of answer on my old college forum, but not one that deals with serious subjects like mental health.

Yes, I feel like my life is unfulfilled. I have been many places in the US and have lived in Spain for 2 months, but something is missing. It seems like I am too worried about how to live my future that I can't concentrate on the present. I also over annalize the past and see if I made the correct decisions. I let too much stuff worry me and want to do everything just right.

I guess it's the old saying "the grass is greener" approach. I know that there is something bigger and better out there and i'm too worried about getting that and can't enjoy what I have now.
Scuba Steve

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Sounds to me like you may be suffering from depression.
Batistuta

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:28 pm

I concur.

I am somewhat depressed and nothing really gets me excited. With the exception of maybe rockclimbing, which i havent done in ages. You should talk about this with your GF, tell her "im bored with my life, its starting to suck!, help me". Which is really a more of a "help me help you" too, because she lives around you too.

Good luck, mate.
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 pm

it does become boring doing the same thing all the time, but with your girlfriend after the initial romance dies as it does with most relationships about the two year period. It is important to change your motivations and seek a deeper relationship so it is more fullfilling. Jobs always suck even if your doing what you love, as soon as you get paid for it and are answerable to someone else it just does suck. This is not necessarily a sign of mental illness, maybe you just need a deeper motivation for your life, rather than just going for the next buzz all the time, because you will always be dissatisfied as the novelty wears thin after a while. A deeper spiritual happiness is maybe what you need.

People think all everyone wants is marriage, 2.4 children, 2 cars, a house and a dog called sparky.

but its not true

what the people really want is something sacred!
JoeNJ

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:41 am

Re: Get bored easily and it's affecting my entire life!!    Reply with quote  

That's me also. I found this thread through a search engine when I typed in Easily Bored. Are you an Aries or Gemini by the way? I'm Aries and that seems to be a big trait with them. It could also be a bit of Attention Deficit as well.
earthward82

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:46 pm

quote:
Originally posted by deshman
It seems like I am too worried about how to live my future that I can't concentrate on the present. I also over annalize the past and see if I made the correct decisions. I let too much stuff worry me and want to do everything just right.

I guess it's the old saying "the grass is greener" approach. I know that there is something bigger and better out there and i'm too worried about getting that and can't enjoy what I have now.

It's really interesting what you wrote because I'm 24 also and I feel like I could have written those words myself. It's very strange to discover someone else is having the exact same problems as you! Maybe it's 20-something angst. Quarter-life crisis. I don't know but it seems like this time of life is fraught with a lot of existential anxieties. I'm still in university finishing a master's in piano and I've been doing the same thing for seven years so I definitely know the feeling of being bored sick and wanting to do something different. In my case though there's an incentive to stick with it because over the long term you can make great gains. It's something that you continue to get better and better at your whole life and that can be very rewarding. Maybe what you need to do is find some career that will challenge you in that way. Where there's a lot of room for growth so that you have an incentive to stick with it, and it also doesn't get boring as much because there's always another level of achievement to attain.

It's understandable that you're bored. I think most 9-5 jobs ARE really boring and I guess some people don't mind that. But you don't have to be bored with your life. You don't have to do a boring 9-5 job just because it's what everyone else does. Maybe there is more to life that you just haven't discovered yet. Maybe you need to find something that you're really passionate about.

While identify with what you say about being bored with "things", I don't think I could ever be bored with life itself. There's so much that is fascinating and strange. This thread from another forum is interesting:

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/atheists--beautiful-awe-inspiring-wonders-22574.html
CaptainSteve

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:49 am

A possibility is Depression with anhedonia. It does not say if you are depressed, but this is a mental health forum, so you may be. One of the common symptoms is anhedonia, which is where you can't gain pleasure from normally pleasurable activities. Its caused by your brains reward system malfunctioning.
A couple of questions.
Do you still enjoy the activities that you enjoyed years ago such as your favorite sport. If you are still passionite about those activities and enjoy them in the same way, then you don't have anhedonia. Otherwise, you might want to google it and see if it fits.
Perhaps you have matured lately and don't have the same interests you had before. You may have outgrown your friends. Is it the things they talk about that bore you. Or is it that nothing interests you at all. If it is the second one, then anhedonia might be the culprit.
spenser
Preferred Member

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 pm

It sounds to me as though you just haven't found your passion in life yet. It can take a while you know, sometimes you stumble across it, some people never do. Force yourself to take up something that you've been thinking about for ages but never taken seriously, you might be pleasantly surprised Wink
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:54 am

You need a higher purpose in life!
ados

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:34 pm

23, male. I'm bored easily, and I manage by sitting in front of my PC 24/7, finding new music, new movies, new experiences, new subcultures ... and trying to integrate it all into a coherent whole. It's a wild ride, but I have no career.
bearyconfused

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:19 pm

Funny i should come on here and see this post after just spending an hour with my 47 year old husband of 20 years talking about "are we happy with our life" and why not. Its like we've become frozen in time. He's not happy with work, home or life in general, but doesn't know how to change it. Its harder as you get older to make new friends and find new interests.

We joined a bowling league together to meet people, but we don't see them outside of bowling. i have my support group on Wednesday evenings, but he doesn't do anything but housework and surfing when he is not working.

We've had good jobs, but being in the military we've moved around alot over the years and lost alot of good friendships along the way, now we are settled and have no friends and hardly see our family because we are all so busy. There are days i just want to run away, to search for whatever is missing in my life. What will make me happy? I don't know anymore.

I just know that you are a young person who has a lot of time ahead of you to find what you are looking for in life, its good you know that now and not when you reach our age.

I hope you find what you are searching for. May god bless you and watch over you.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: