Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> shortness of breath and coughing when I laugh This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

shortness of breath and coughing when I laugh

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
snowdrop

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 pm

shortness of breath and coughing when I laugh    Reply with quote  

Hi everyone

I thought I had got over this shortness of breath but no at work today it started all over again. I was a bit stressed but the more I thought about it the more breathless I became. I was out tonight and when I started to laugh I began coughing. I felt really miserable Maybe I should go see a doctor. I am thinking about it all the time and then the shortness of breath starts. Anyone have any tips

Maynard F.Periwinkle
Preferred Member

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:12 am

definetly see a doctor first to rule out anything more serious... or possibly if it's allergies

it sounds like hyperventilation - usually when you think about your breathing you breathe far too much - and this leads to over-breathing and all the anxiety, feeling like you can't take a deep breath, etc.

the old way to treat this was to breathe into a paper bag - but this can be a little unsafe... you can instead breathe slowly and relaxed into your hands cupped over your mouth and nose, or breathe into a sweater/shirt... just helps get the CO2 back up

CO2 and oxygen have to be in balance for the lungs and aerobic system to function properly

if you've been overbreathing for a long time, sometimes tired respiratory muscles can you feel short of breath when you laugh/shout/talk - very common in actors and singers...

really you need to set aside a few times a day to lie down and exhail completely by relaxing your lungs... wait until the urge to breathe in again and let your lungs breathe themselves with minimal exertion... there's a physiological breathing reflex you need to engage
ericmcbride

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:01 am

Souns like asthma!    Reply with quote  

Hi, I started to have this when I was 19. Stress is no help to be sure. Sometimes if I am upset my asthma will feel worse when I start to think about it. It feels like I am suffocating.

When I would cough I would not know why I would go into a coughing fit...it was because there was extra crap in my bronchial tubes and I did not connect these things until I saw a doctor.

Go to a GP!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: