Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> I'm on Citalopram, but I still can't sleep! This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

I'm on Citalopram, but I still can't sleep!

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
heljay66

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm on Citalopram, but I still can't sleep!    Reply with quote  

I have posted previously about this but things are still no better. I've been taking Citalopram now for 3 months - I started on 10mg and have been on 20mg for 2 months. I feel so much better, so much more relaxed and positive, but the only thing is I can't sleep and it's driving me mad. I don't seem to have that much trouble getting off to sleep, it's just that I can't stay asleep. I wake up about 2 or 3 in the morning and can't get back off. I started to suffer this after week 2 of taking the tablets and I was hoping now after all this time that my sleep would improve, but it hasn't.
I saw my doctor today and she says it's not the tablets causing this, and that it's me. Does anyone else suffer with this insomnia this long into taking the medication. I know it's supposed to be a side effect when first taking it, but my doctor tells me I should be sleeping ok now after 3 months. Can anyone tell me will I eventually be able to sleep properly. At the moment the only way I can get a decent nights sleep is to either have a few glasses of wine (which I know I shouldn't be doing on these tablets) or take a sleeping tablet, which I am trying to avoid doing as I don't want to become addicted to them.
I really feel the medication is helping me, but I don't think I can continue taking it if I can't get sleep.
Does anyone else have any similar experiences of this?

scampo

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Re: I'm on Citalopram, but I still can't sleep!    Reply with quote  

I don't believe your doctor. It is a reaction to citalopram. After twelve weeks of being told the same thing ("It's your condition"), in the end, I just had to stop taking those (for me) dreadful tablets - I was waking up about 6 - 8 times a night and then having to nip to the loo. Unlike you, they didn't help my anxiety much at all, either and I had several other side effects, too (none blamed on the drug).

I have since been given mirtazapine (Zispin / Remeron). This does help with sleeping but leaves me groggy and, again, does little for my anxiety. Within two weeks of stopping citalopram, all of the side effects fell away - but still my doctor doesn't seem to believe they were anything to do with the drug. There seems to me to be a blind spot somewhere in the medical profession.
heljay66

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Yes Scampo, I really think it is a side effect of the drug. I've looked at other forums re. Citalopram and a lot of other people same the same as us, that they can't sleep. Yet my doctor says she doesn't agree and can't understand why I can't sleep.
I did try Mirtazapine before this, but I couldn't tolerate it as it made me a complete zombie. I did sleep on it, but just couldn't function the next day - which is no good for me, a busy mum with two kids. My doctor has said to me that she doesn't know what else to do and has told me to persevere for the time being on this drug for another month, but I feel so tired and exhausted.
bearyconfused

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi i've been on it now since August up to 80 mgs and still on sleeping pills as well as i can't sleep without them, i tried stopping the sleeping pills and was like you i was awake every hour on the hour after 2 am, yet on the sleeping tablet i was getting 6 or 7 hrs of sleep per night. Its frustrating as i don't want to be switching medication again. But i may have no choice.
scampo

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:07 am

The mirtazapine grogginess does go away after several weeks, especially at 30mg. It seems that at 15mg the drowsiness is worst.

The older antidepressant called amitriptyline is often given to help sleep and acts a s a pain killer. Have you tried that? It does have side effects such as dry mouth, though.

I have found that very, very few people understand the effects of really poor sleep. I just cannot function properly when I sleep really badly - it constantly acts as a "drag" on my consciousness. In fact I'm sure in myself that poor sleep has been at the heart of many of my anxiety problems. In my experience, doctors simply fail to understand the problems this kind of insomnia causes. Even on a forum such as this, there seems few who understand, so you really do have my sympathies - genuine fatigue is a terrible feeling.
heljay66

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Yes I feel the same as you. The main problem in my life is my insomnia. I am 40 now and have been suffering this since my early twenties on and off. But it is only lately that this has caused me real anxiety and depression. The insomnia is something I just used to put up with, but feel I can't take it anymore as I have such a busy family life with so much to do and now it is making me feel so ill. I like you feel that the insomnia has been the root of my depresssion. I know if I could sleep well every night I wouldn't get depressed and anxious.

I've got to the point now where I start worrying in the evening before I go to bed about getting to sleep. I'm getting obsessed about it thinking I hope I can get to sleep tonight and what if I dont sleep?
I am seeing a counsellor in a couple of weeks time and I really hope she can help me with this.

I did ask my doctor if maybe I could try another antidressant. I have tried Lustral before years ago which was good at helping me sleep, but I found after a while I started to get really black moods on this and really bad mood swings. So I came off this. She tells me now though that there is no other antidpressant she thinks that can help me. She says all the other ADs will make me too drowsy. I feel I'm at a dead end.
jurplesman

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:32 am

quote:
Originally posted by heljay66
Yes Scampo, I really think it is a side effect of the drug. I've looked at other forums re. Citalopram and a lot of other people same the same as us, that they can't sleep.

Insomnia is one of the side effects of Citalopram.

Anxiety attacks should be treated at its roots and nutritionally see:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias
'Chopper'

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:46 am

I've had 'bad days' during the Autumn/Winter, every year since 2001, and this year have been using a Lightbox to simulate natural light - I've got it on now in front of my screen - and even if it is a placebo I've found that unlike a lot of people on Citalopram (I'm on 40mg a day) I'm sleeping well at night.

Since the clocks went back I've been using the box for longer each day (from 07:45 until, probably, around 12:00 today) and going to bed earlier each night. But even if my days are getting shorter at least I'm sleeping longer.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'
OldskoolPrincess

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi - had real probs with sleeping over a year ago and being put on prozac helped a lot with sorting that out - went through a faze though of a few months when depression was so bad - i would sleep solid for 13-14 hrs!!
my doctor has just changed me on to Citalopram after being on prozac for nearly a year so start tommorow - cross fingers it doesn't mess up my sleep too much. At the moment my days need to be fueled with as many over the counter stimulents, caffine energy drinks, vitamins etc to get me through the day and let me concentrate have enough energy / motivation to do any task for more than 10mins before i tire and cann't be bothered in anything........
I think it's a double edged sword - needing the get up and go during the day - but also being able to have a solid enough sleep that you feel recharged........

Ps - do the light-boxes help - i keep meaning to get one as i get so fed up with life this time of year especially
jurplesman

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:27 am

Chemicals to sleep and chemicals to be awake.

Read:

The Biochemistry of Insomnia
---> here
'Chopper'

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:44 am

Oldskool,

I've found the lightbox to be useful, placebo or not, and intend to keep using it until the spring. It may be the Citalopram, it may be the lightbox, it may be both but if I can make it to Spring without a prolonged bout of 'duvet time' I don't care what it takes.

'Chopper'

ps. nice forum name by the way!
KimzyHoe

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:32 pm

lack of sleep is crap i've been through it many a time! now i'm on zopiclone and i never wanna come off it. even though its addictive! and not having as much effect
bearyconfused

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 pm

I spoke to my doctor this week in regards to not sleeping without zoplicone, i've been on celexa since August as well as zoplicone, i take 80mgs in the morning and my sister in law is on 80 as well and couldn't sleep so her doctor told her to break it up to 40 in the am and 40 at night and since she had she is now sleeping good, so i'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

All the SSRI's are known for insomnia, i had the same problem with prozac 2 years ago. But yet the medication helps me cope so we'll see if this does the trick. If not the doctor may have to switch medicines or find another sleeping pill for me to use.

Hang in and God Bless!
'Chopper'

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:13 am

IS A LIGHTBOX AN 'ANTIDOTE' FOR WINTER INSOMNIA ..... I DON'    Reply with quote  

I don't want to sound as if I'm plugging them but I use my lightbox from, 0h, 07:45 until around mid-day and although I'm on 40mg a day of Citalopram for anxiety/PA/depression, I sleep well at nights, 22:00 'till 06:00.

I will admit, I sleep in the car on the way to work, in the car on the way home, have a nap for an hour of so as soon as I get home and am permanently tired, but at least I get an uninterrupted night's sleep.

Could it be the lightbox regulating the seratonin .... or just my body using up the nervous energy during the day and having nothing left to give come 22:00? I really don't know.

I know they're expensive but the 115 I spent on mine will have been worth it if I make it to Spring and natural light withought 'taking to my bed' and hibernating until the clocks go forward again.

'Chopper'
vikki871

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:42 am

Heya...
yes i know where ur coming from on my second - 3rd month of taking them i was really struggling to stay asleep and sometimes i still find it hard to do so... i find that relaxing properly and watching tv before i go to sleep works and putting lavender scents on ur pillow will also help u too relax... if you do wake up put your TV on straight away as this will keep your mind occupied becasue if ur like me it starts to wounder and that makes it harder to get back off... concentrate on whats being said on the TV and you will find you will drift back to sleep. Hope i have helped xxx

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: