How do you deal with someone who always lies?

Postby british » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:50 pm

There is a guy who I know is a CONSTANT liar.....he lies about everything out of habit rather than cos he has to..............How do you deal with him, when you pull him up for soemthign he might have said he always responds with "no i never said it" he always sounds adamant and always tries to get people on his side because he is a persuasive liar.

How do you deal with someone like this? His lies are very dangerous.
british

Likes Received: 0

Postby Lifefork » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Stay away from him!
Lifefork

Postby starling » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Record him!
nothing like evidence to plant a seed, and the hardest part to remain supportive, whatever the reason he lies i'd put money on it coming from a damaged place, not a bad person.

I believe the people who come into our lives are never by chance, and mostly passing through.

I have great respect for you looking at how you can be around this person rather than giving up on them without trying.

ps. understand ur frustration too, be around them in small doses and lots of self care would be my thinking.
starling

Postby xnatsx » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:48 am

I have a friend- my best friend- who's a compulsive liar. Sometimes she uses her lies to be manipulative, but mainly she just lies either for no reason just for the sake of it, or she creates a liffe for herself which she thinks is better.

I.e. she went to college and told all the girls her dad was a millionaire and would take them all on holiday, then she tried to get me to give her money, telling me we were oging on holiday but it was really for them.

Then seh started in my work and told them she was rich and her dad would pay if she didn't want to work. And she had this affected voice she would use. she's stopped now. But it's like she couldn't help herself.

And quite often she'll say things just out of nowhere like once she told me some story about how her cousin had amnesia and forgot his mum. And about a year later i mentioned it and she couldn'te ven remember saying it.

bUT i know it's mainly unhappines, since she's been happy with her boyfriend and her life she's pretty much stopped. So sometimes i think u have to understand it. But nevertheless if his lies are dangerous to u maybe u should avoid him.
xnatsx

Postby Trevor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Well, it's not to judge how another lives his life. Since you know he's a liar, simply be suspicious of what he says. Be nice to him. Don't try to call him on it. There is obviously a reason why he lies.
Trevor

Postby british » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:26 pm

starling wrote:Record him!
nothing like evidence to plant a seed, and the hardest part to remain supportive, whatever the reason he lies i'd put money on it coming from a damaged place, not a bad person.

I believe the people who come into our lives are never by chance, and mostly passing through.

I have great respect for you looking at how you can be around this person rather than giving up on them without trying.

ps. understand ur frustration too, be around them in small doses and lots of self care would be my thinking.

You dont believe people come into your life by chance? I agree with that.......its frightening when you think about it......the good, the bad, the ugly........they come into your life cos its fate................but you should learn how to tackle some people......................some people are just hard to figure out...................I dislike the fact that he will say something then deny all knowledge of it later on............its so frustrating....its easy to walk away.........but i woudl rather deal with it, after all if its not him then someone else will walk into my life who is like that..........................why? maybe because its fate.
british

Postby EdDavies » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:35 am

Hi, I'm currently researching for a documentary about compulsive lying. I have been in touch with some of the world's experts in the subject, who are more than willing to treat people as part of the film. If you are interested in getting expert treatment for this problem, please contact me on 0207 502 5729 or ed.davies@northonetv.com
EdDavies

Postby Sarah_N » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 am

Some people should try to lie themselves with this person around. Try setting up scenarios in order for him to realise how silly this whole lying business is. But use plenty of humour, so that eventually you will all (including him) end up laughing. Try that repeatedly till he gets out of this habit.
Sarah_N