citalopram making me more depressed?

Postby Suse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:08 pm

I started taking citralopram last week on monday.. I thought things were getting better and now I am back to wanting to kill myself today. How long will I feel this way? My kids are fussy and I'm climbing the walls. I feel disoriented and out of control. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks
Suse

Postby Olgadapolga » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:06 pm

A worsing of depressive and anxiety symptoms are common side effects of this type of antidepressent, usually this only lasts a couple of weeks before it starts to demisnish, many people start feeling better on them by 4-6 weeks although they do not suit everyone.

First I would say contact your prescriber
You may also find some support lines on the befrienders site http://www.befrienders.org/helplines/he ... ?c2=Canada
Olgadapolga

Postby Suse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:52 pm

only one problem with that, my doctor is on vacation until monday.... if I see anyone it will be a random emergency doctor :(
Suse

Postby jurplesman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:14 am

Discuss with your doctor the option to treat your depression by nutritional means without or in addition to drug therapy.

Discuss:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder" --->here

and

Depression: a Disease of Energy Production
jurplesman

Postby Caroelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Suse,
Sorry to hear you are unwell- cause that is what you are, and generally there are no wonder drugs wfor any illness that give an immediate cure. I have also just started this drug, and what I do know is that all anti-depressants take at least 2 weeks to kick in- your GP should have told you this. I have taken a.d.s before, that time I was suicidal, and then there was no immediate feel good effect, only a gradual feeling of returning to normal. It seems to me that in the same way we slowly slide into depression, the ads slowly bring us up again. Sorry if this isn't what you need to hear, I do get worried about the amount of people who seem to believe that a.d s give instant relief- It seems to me that GPs etc are giving the right info on this- or is iat that most people are too depressed to take it in?

Hoping that you start to feel some good effects soon,
Caroelle

Postby Olgadapolga » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:24 pm

jurplesman wrote:Discuss with your doctor the option to treat your depression by nutritional means without or in addition to drug therapy.

Discuss:

and

Depression: a Disease of Energy Production

Diet certaly has a part. A low blood sugar can cause a flutuation in mood for some, skipping meals and relying on sugary foods and drinks or simple/processed carbs (which initially boost your blood sugar only to make it plummit) is something worth looking into as this can effect mood levels in some. This MIND article is worth reading. The GI diet is worth looking at for ideas as to how foods work in this way. It's also worth thinking about other parts of your diet however like increasing foods containing essentual/omega fatty acids Vit B complex, zinc, magnesium... this site explains where you can find them naturally http://tinyurl.com/ymqw2l or if you are struggling wioth food you may want to consider taking a suppliment. The 2 other things to think about are stimulents (caffeene, drugs, tabacco) can also make symptoms worse :? You may find it helpful to keep a mood and food diary to see if you can make any connection between what you are eating and drinking and your mood.

Other things I found helped and may be worth looking into

Relaxation, breathing exercises and visualisation - I was lucky I learnt relaxation in my teans when I did modden ballet. There are many methods to relax it's a case of finding one that works for you. Things to look into are

Breathing exercises, The one we did the other night at the depression workshop was to breath in and hold the breath for 6 sec then breath out for 9 sec. I find abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing works better for me, it's the type of breathing babies and infants do before they really start using the muscles between the ribs as adults do.. It's not as easy but it works on 2 levels first by using the diaphram it takes less effort and the lungs fell more effectivly so reducing your heart rate, at the same time it also sends messages back to part of the brain using the autonomic nervous system saying everything is OK so reducing your adrenamine production. You will probably need to practice this regually normally they recomend 3-5 times a day for 5 mins. There is an explanation on how to do it here http://walking.about.com/od/fitness/a/breathing.htm and you may want to look up things by Dennis Lewis (he's a bit cheesy mind)

Physical relaxation - It's a rare person who can just relax often it's easiest to start at one part of the body tence the muscles then relax them I start at my toes and work my way up, I have also beed talked through tencing everything holding then relaxing, sometimes it's easyer doing it with a voice telling you what to do There is a free one here you can download onto a MP3 player Living Life to The Full it's a CBT course it's free maybe something else you find useful. There is a basic relaxation discription here http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/relax.htm

Visualisation there are probably many forms of this I the one one of my counselors did was to imagine I was on an island he asked me what it looked like trees, birds look inland what did I see (I saw a river followed it to a pool and waterfall sat down and point blank refused to go any further) My safe place visualisation is now the pool and waterfall. I have found one free online course that discribes it's self as guided visualisation http://www.success.havemorefromlife.co.uk/ I used a random email programe http://www.temporaryinbox.com/ so I don't get spam (I never trust things like this) It gives gives you a it sends you 4 mails on different days

There are also several techniques used here http://www.twu.edu/o-sl/counseling/SelfHelp039.html

Self hypnosis I know nothing about it but a friend who has recently trained in theraputic hypnotherpy gave me this link http://www.hypnosense.com/swish_technique.htm

With all these things it's practicing that's important normally they recomend you do it 2-3 times a day when you get up, go to bed and sometime during the day if you have time. Something like the deap breathing you could do on the train on the way too or from work or sitting in a trafic jam... Visualisation and relaxation not as easy to do it somewhere where you would be self contions

There are other formal ways to learn to relax maybe taking up somthing like Yoga, Ti chi, qigong (chi kung).... (more here http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/rel ... iques.html )

Physical exercise and getting outside have also a posative effect in the UK you can get exercise on prescription for many things including stress anxiety and depression. It helps by releasing endorphins which help lift your mood, exercise even just walking outside especially somewhere green has also been shown to increase the effect.

SMART Goal setting - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely. Small steps, have a main goal of what you want to do then find small ways of getting there. When I could not leave the house (or go down stairs at one point) I had a plan to get me out for several days I went to the top of the stairs several times a day, then while continuing to do that went down stairs into the kitchen and front door, then added in taking a bag of rubish out (put in small carrier bags) several times a day.....

Distraction I use an MP3 player to get out of the house, I also go no where without a book (to hide behind when stressed) my camera (something about stopping me thinking and making my world smaller), and bottle of water, (I always get thrusty when stressed and get a headache and my back plays up), it's important to use a variety of distraction techniques and not get stuck using one.

Your thinking can become imbeded and a self forfilling profercy it may be worth talking to your doctor about some sort of psycholigical/cogniative/talking therapies to help you with symptoms the one I know most about is CBT this can take some time but there are free online courses that you may find useful Living Life to The Full, centre for Clinical Interventions, and Mood gym, The Depression Learning path is also worth a read Some also have short courses/support groups that use CBT and similar techniques they can be all you need, check out your local primary care trust and see what courses they provide mine does several as illistrated here http://www.sglos-pct.nhs.uk/Mental_Heal ... efault.htm I have done the depression one which I did find helpful. If a spesific event is causing the depression/anxiety it could be worth looking into EMDR it sounds like a very bazzaar treatment but it is the one thing that has removed my feelings over my grans death and dulled other events, I would certainly day it's worth a look even if you or a therapist discide it's not suitable for you.

There are also a whole load of complimentry therapies listed at Depression Infocenter I also found Bach Flower Rescue remedy helps me for panic one trick can be putting a few drops in a bottle of water and sipping over several hours. (friends vet advised her to use it for her dog who suffers from panic on car journeys, thunder and fireworks and was being given a sedative and it works!!!), I know several people that use some of the individual ones but they can be expensive. If you are on medication (including the contraception) you need to not take anything herbal without professional advice though as some things don't mix well.

You still need to make an appointment with your doctor on Monday to talk through your feelings and for him to assess your medication though
Olgadapolga

Postby Suse » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:46 pm

[quote="jurplesman"]Discuss with your doctor the option to treat your depression by nutritional means without or in addition to drug therapy.

Discuss:

jurplesman:
I noticed that my mood lifted somewhat after I had something to eat yesterday. I did the nutrition behaviour inventory and scored 106!

I've always been under suspicion that there may be a problem, but whenever I get a test always comes back as "normal". I have always had an aversion to sugary things, make me feel sick most of the time. I need to read more about the test required so I can discuss it with my doctor.
Thx for your input
Suse

Postby hippyhippy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:01 pm

Suse hunny
I just read this thread and I am sorry.
Try not to despair, they often make you worse before better.
Wot dosage you on?
I have been moved from 10 to 20 to 30 to 40 to 60. I am only just feeling better. Is anxiety a major player in your depression? If not, maybe prozac would be better, I loved it! I have an advance order in for when kids are 13+!!!!
Hippy
hippyhippy

Postby Suse » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 pm

hippy
I am on the 20mg dose, that's what I started with last monday....

Interesting reading on jurplesman's website re: copper/zinc ratios, I had a copper IUD for 6 months that did nothing but cause trouble, and there was some question over whether or not I was suffering from copper toxicity.... dr thought that wouldn't be a problem but my hubby swears I started going crazy shortly after it was inserted.

I did go to the hospital last night, and today I am feeling marginally better, though my head is killing me! I am continuing to take the drugs, as I figure I'm in deep enough trouble that I need them, but I will also read more about the nutrition connection, because I think it may be a valid factor. I hardly eat at all when I'm depressed (and then go out and beat myself with exercise in an effort to release some agression), so that doesn't help. Taking Tylenol, supposedly it should clear up in a month or so (sigh).

I don't smoke tobacco, drink coffee or caffinated teas and usually stay away from sugars, though lately my diet has consisted of a lot of junky foods because I'm too exhausted to cook and my kids will eat it.
Suse

Postby Suse » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:22 pm

oh, and yes, anxiety is a factor.... my brother was diagnosed with anxiety disorder.
whew, I was hoping the roller coaster would be over soon, but I need to wait.
I've also recently stopped my several times a day marijuana regimen which I've used for 10 years.... (don't worry, I've been to the addicitons forums, too)
The emerg doctor said she could descibe something for the panic moments, but she said I couldn;t be on it for long.... because it's addictive so I declined, wanting to wait for my own doctor before I pour even more chemicals into my system.
Suse

Postby jurplesman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:01 am

Suse wrote:
jurplesman wrote:Discuss with your doctor the option to treat your depression by nutritional means without or in addition to drug therapy.

Discuss:

jurplesman:
I noticed that my mood lifted somewhat after I had something to eat yesterday. I did the nutrition behaviour inventory and scored 106!

I've always been under suspicion that there may be a problem, but whenever I get a test always comes back as "normal". I have always had an aversion to sugary things, make me feel sick most of the time. I need to read more about the test required so I can discuss it with my doctor.
Thx for your input

Most conventional doctors don't know how to test for hypoglycemia as distinct from diabetes. They tend to confuse the two.

The proper test is described here.

It must be taken over time at least four hours every half hour. Here is a graph showing different reactions to a GTTH;

If you take a single blood sample as most doctors do, it might appear as "normal" but does not show the extent of the drop. This is significant, because a drop in blood sugar level triggers the release of adrenaline ---> symptoms of mental illness.

In other words if your doctor tells you that you do not have hypoglycemia on the basis of a single blood sample taken, you know that he has not tested for hypoglycemia, but maybe for diabetes.
Last edited by jurplesman on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jurplesman

Postby lp_ultra » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:15 am

Hi Suse,

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Please take notice of me when I say "Try your very hardest to stop smoking Cannabis", mixing this and SSRI's will do serious damage and ultimately increase your depression (as discussed on the addictions board). I have been where you are at!

I too am on Citalopram and (I too) have mixed this and Cannabis in the past, but you've got to make a choice, either you want to get high or want to get well again. You can't have both unfortunately. Getting high and mental illness don't go well together...

Take care. :wink:
lp_ultra

Postby Suse » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 am

thanks, lp_ultra.
I am not smoking pot, now, just taking tylenol when I'm feeling ouchy, oh my liver (first question everyone asks, yes I know it's bad for my liver.... what about my head?!) Like atlas70 said, SSRI's will make pot seem like oxygen, good thing, too, because I seem to need some stronger medication. I hestated a long time because of cost, pot is very inexpensive because I can grow it (yes, it is a weed) and it did help me manage my various discomforts for a long time, but I reached a threshold where I needed some prescription pain medications some time ago. My physiotherapist who fitted me with my orthotics chewed me out for not medicating enough, but the problem with OTC drugs was that I would crash and feel way worse if I didn't overlap the doses, and when I did that I'd reach the safe limits long before the day was done so I stopped taking them and upped the pot quota instead. I was also afraid to ask my doctor for a prescription because I felt so screwed up I knew I was at risk for an addiction problem, when I couldn't afford medication in the first place.
Now I've been prescribed to take meloxicam and extra strength tylenol together, and that's working better. Last time I left my doctor's office she put 3 repeats on the meloxicam "this will be an ongoing problem for you" yikes!

Now my head is a garbeled mess from being unable to function normally in life for over a year.

Sadly, though, inhaled smoke has an instant effect, where these cumulative medications do not!

If you haven't already, check out the linked site above about hypoglecymia, some info there about addicitons, too. I picked up a magazine called "moods" while I was dropping off papers at university today and it's been an interesting read: it's a quarterly canadian publication on mental illness. As I read more about mental illness I wonder if I have post traumatic stress somewhat as well: seeing myself over and over again living through the accident every night must have short circuted something in my head. My darn foot hurt like the injury was new for months after that happened. Having to take care of a new baby and a toddler at the same time added an extra challenge.

The doctor at emerg last night suggested crutches to make life easier, huh? how do you do that with wee kids? I feel very frustrated by my physical limitations, being pratically married to my icepack and the couch does not help my disposition. I bought a tensor sock with plastic ribs in it that I've been wearing all day, and the compression has helped my "angry" tendons calm down some, but fu*k my head is just out of control! I go through spells of feeling completely useless and unable to contribute to my family which feels very overburdening at times, and I feel like everyone else would be better off without having to look after my sorry donkey all the time, but that seems like a stupid thought when I manage to look at it rationally (which is not often, a college guidance councillor once labelled me a feeler vs a thinker, lol) Perhaps I do need the "panic" drugs suggested by the doctor last night, I feel panicky so much right now that'd I'd probably end up taking too many.

An interesting statistic from the moods magazine is that mental illness is much more prevalent than diabetes, yet our culture still doesn't talk about it much or know how to effectively intervene.
Suse

Postby Olgadapolga » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Suse wrote:I wonder if I have post traumatic stress somewhat as well: seeing myself over and over again living through the accident every night must have short circuted something in my head.

One thing that has helped disconnect those memories fro me is EMDR I still get them with sudden noises now (waiting for more sessions still :roll:) but not every day when just in the house like it was (got them from the moment I got to the top of the stairs and into the back room). It's not suitable for everyone and sounds really odd but IMO worth investigation at the least.
Olgadapolga