"The Secret" is a Scam

Postby GBeverley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am

I believe that those people who read the book/Cd of The Secret and think that what was said is all you have to do is thought projection and not actually do anything need to watch it again and this time open your ... mind.
Is it a scam??? Well I understand that what was actually printed in the book or what you saw on the DVD, well like all books and movies the editors cut alot out and and by doing so the point can be lost or weekened.
MLM and pyramid selling a two totally different things so get the facts right there.
If you want to bring pyarmid into it like most people think about pyarmid selling lets look at our school/work, a product from thought, production to the actually selling of it or anything in our lives.
You start of with one person the boss than you have his right hand men the managers than you have the supervisors, than you have the common workers and there you have it.... a pyramid. Look at just about everything in our lives you can make a pyramid out of it.
I know ACA and if you believe them you are one of the gullible. If I look hard I shall negative in everything I usually look for the positives, it makes my world a better place to live in.
And back to The Secret the fact that you bring scam into it and see the negatives only and do not look for the positives well you did not write about any positives to me proves The Secrets point.
The Secret like other books/DVD’s has some interesting information and can be good discussion for those with an open mind.
Having a degree in physics has its disadvantages cause it usually means that the mind is closed to the realm of the message the secret, what the bleep, the Matrix, Powder and the like are trying to portray
I also agree with carlaval so I wont repeat what he said.
GBeverley

Postby Alice1988 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:31 am

oh god thats so wrong how could anyone do something so evil you make people slaves and make money of of them there should be a law against this
Alice1988

Postby simonr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:58 pm

There are a lot of complete pratts on Ecademy who spout this nonsense. They say that all you need to attract something is think about it and that whatever you think about you attract.

So Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves did they? By sitting there all day and thinking about being exterminated?

Well fancy that! I didn't know that. A lot of use got chucked out because of that and most of us decided not to go back because of it.

S
simonr

Postby Odeena » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:19 pm

[Off-topic]

Um, maybe you got the whole 'you get what you think about' thing a little bit wrong? From what I know, you *can* obtain something if you think about it ~ but that requires willpower, concentration and a number of other things. I've done that and it worked [I didn't learn about it from The Secret, but from a free online course BTW]. But your example about Jewish people and the Holocaust has absolutely nothing to do with this process.

[On-topic]

I tried to read The Secret after a friend bugged me to ~ I went about halfway through, but I didn't last more than that and I can hardly remember anything of what I read. As for in which ways a book that made such a pathetic impression was supposed to change my life or whatnot, I'll never know :)
Odeena

Postby mike saville » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 am

The basic premise behind The Secret is not at all improbable- and does work very well. Yes, perhaps in a placebo effect for sure, but like many a self help therapy, that really doesn't matter, as long as those that need to improve their lives find a set of tools that work. For some it is meditation, others NLP and TFT tapping. Is there a scientific basis? Quite probably not, but far better the world is full of people thinking positive things, and believing they will break their cycles, than walking round in a grey depression for the rest of their lives- because I tell you that does work.

On the whole, positive thinking people have more friends, are generally happier and lead a lot less stressful existence. Happy people do attract opportunities to them- that is a given. After all, would you rather sit in the bar with the cheery and jovial, or the miserable and depressive? If you were to employ a member of staff, would you choose the one who believes in himself and embraces the challenge with gusto and positivity, or the one who's given up before they've even started?

The Secret, however. Where to start?

Yes, it is a money making scam of the highest order- a glossy respin of a document that is long out of copyright and in the public domain for free. Branding and marketing mean that gullible people are being relieved of whopping great wads of cash that they need not spend, and that is a shameful indictment of these PD gurus getting wealthy through other peoples' misfortune.

The premise though, in its FREE and unmarketed principle is a worthwhile philosophy, and I have no problem with any who take it and run with it for themselves.

Mike
mike saville

Postby thaninja » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:36 am

The Secret is the same old Emerald Tablet story told in another way. If "The Secret" is a scam, so are many other self-help books in that genre.

Reading the The Secret was a positive experience for me. It helped clarify a couple of concepts for me, so I don't think it was a waste. Some of the stories seem like hodge podge, but others are inspiring.

Whats wrong with a little emotional inspiration?
thaninja

Postby sequorveritas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:15 pm

your world is a projection of your mind, if you want to believe that is a scam is going to be a scam. Probably happen with many thing in your life the same.

I believe that the secret is helpful depend how you use it. The same happen with movies like
what the bleep we do know.
Conversation with God (Maybe you thing that the guy never talk with God).
Peaceful Warrior
or People like Chopra, Anthony Robbins, Wayne Dyer etc
Etc

What I see is always somebody has to have problem when somebody else succeed

With all due respects, if you define "success" as making gobs of short-run cash through a rapid-skimming sorry excuse for pop-psychology, then yes, people like Robbins, Kyosaki and the like are successful.

Without moral fiber and conscience success is a losing game of smoke and mirrors.

T.
sequorveritas

Postby Ed_the_Red » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:55 pm

thaninja wrote:The Secret is the same old Emerald Tablet story told in another way. If "The Secret" is a scam, so are many other self-help books in that genre.

Reading the The Secret was a positive experience for me. It helped clarify a couple of concepts for me, so I don't think it was a waste. Some of the stories seem like hodge podge, but others are inspiring.

Whats wrong with a little emotional inspiration?

Well said.

My experience in life is that get what you put out. I've had the worst times when I was dreading them beforehand.

I know The Secret does look very commercial, because it is, but these ideas are not new.

Anything that gets people to use their minds positively and deliberately has got to be a good thing.
Ed_the_Red
Preferred Member

Postby gkokm21 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 pm

the secret does not only talk about thoughts alone. many successful people talk about the importance of having positive thoughts. Therefore, the secret is generally right that we should starts from changing the thoughts.

Most self help books exaggerates because the authors want to make money. Its not true to call them chartalan. You might as well call all companies in the modern world chartanlan then because mostly are about profiting.

at the end of the day, its not necessary to buy self help books. Just go to the library to borrow or see the internet. there more than enough.
gkokm21

Postby gkokm21 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:38 pm

its understandable that self help books contain the element of making money. Out of the thousands of them, it is expected some are done in a scam sort of way.

Most self help are harmless and wants to make money while teaching their specific beliefs and methodolgies, which can be different and useful indeed. There is no need to call self help industry scamming just becos of some black sheeps. There are always blacksheep everywhere.
gkokm21

Postby As Deep As Jacques Couste » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 pm

If the person thinks this stuff works, then it just might work. :wink:

Believing in this might actually do you much good.

But I see where you're coming from though, and just like you I do not agree with this automatic feedback thing. Sometimes you focus on good things and bad stuff happens, it's not fullproof. E.g. a drunk driver might rush into you as you're crossing the road. That's coming from another person and is beyond your area of control.

But hey, if the secret happens to make people have positive mental expectancy, then great!
As Deep As Jacques Couste

Postby rontocknell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm

The problem I have with The Secret and many other 'Self Help' teachings along these lines is the use of the word "Secret". The usual claim is that the information they are about to impart is a secret that has been withheld from us.

Oh really?? So who are these people who have been taking steps to prevent the information from falling into the hands of the common herd? Usually the information that we get for free is no secret but simply theories that have been in the public domain for decades. I don't know about the information you have to pay for but I imagine it's pretty much the same as the free stuff.

Let's face it: if someone had a genuine secret that could bring you all you desire, why bother writing a book or producing a CD about it? That's their income sorted for life. If the real reason for writing about it is simply to 'spread the word' and give others the opportunity to share in this secret, why charge for it? Why go through all the marketing hype? Why not just publish and let people decide for themselves.

The concept of manifesting wealth from nowhere is half true; these people are genuinely manifesting wealth and it might seem that it is coming from nowhere, but this is where reality kicks in. It isn't coming from nowhere, it's coming from the people who fall for this crap.[/i]
rontocknell

Postby speeddurango » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 am

I don't know much if anything about this organization or its books etc, but I can tell from all the posts above it's something like "Rich Dad" style personal motivation oriented "scam" company. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy anything from those companies and such, I wouldn't go as far as saying they are scam either.They are just overvalued product These companies knew very well about how to sell their overvalued product and it's not like stock market where an overvalued market might crash within 2 or 3 years most of the time, these companies are able to understand human nature very well, and make people buy it, and that's it. You know what, Coca isn't better than pure water but people drink it.
speeddurango

Postby ddarkangel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 pm

He is brilliant... he knows exactly what people want, quick solutions, quick wealth without any effort. People are naive, lazy, passive and wait just for a miracle to happen... they want to be fooled by false prophecies... he sees it and explois it...

Dark Angel
ddarkangel

Postby JohnnySmiler » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 pm

The Secret is a rip-off of the material offered by Abraham-Hicks. The producer even took her film crew on to one of their cruises to capture their workshop material and included Esther Hicks in the first cut of the DVD.

When the greed kicked in she requested that A-H handed over the copyright to their materials or be edited out of the movie, hence they produced a second version without Esther in it.

The vital word that was edited out of the movie and book, (same thing happened with Napoleon Hill when he published Think & Grow Rich) is vibration.

We are all made up of energy as is everything in this universe and energy vibrates at different frequencies.........study quantum physics if you are keen to get to the bottom of it.

Like attracts like, what you give out you get back, to claim you can just think a thought and sit back is definitely misguided.

If you want to experience something start being it right now....happy, creative....whatever you choose
JohnnySmiler

PreviousNext