Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> Mirtazapine - any experiences? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Mirtazapine - any experiences?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
The_Ferret_Lives

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Mirtazapine - any experiences?    Reply with quote  

Hi all

I've just had my medication changed from Citalopram to Mirtazapine and upped to 30mg.

Although I didn't have a problem with Citalopram's side effects I didn't really feel it helped me that much so I'm okay with trying something new but wanted to know if anyone has any positive - or negative - experiences of Mirtazapine?

As far as I've been told (and just looked up on wiki) the side-effects of Mirtazapine are drowsiness in the morning for the first 2 weeks and maybe a bit of weight gain but apart from that there's no shaking and jerking and no negative effect on sex drive - so that sounds good to me.

Okay then, over to you guys Very Happy

The Ferret

Twenties
Preferred Member

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:15 pm

One major side effect is sleeping fantastic Smile Seriously I love this stuff. I get a little dizzy at times, though. Taking both Citalopram and Mirtazapine now and I feel pretty good. I experienced pretty heavy side effects when first going on Cit., nothing like that when going on Mirt.
Lift me up

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi the ferret lives,

I am on both Citalopram 20mg and Mirtazapine 45mg. I at first was a insomniac, sleeping tabs didn't work for me so was given Mirtazapine and i can tell you honestly that i have slept perfectly every night ever since! Love it Wink It is a AD with sedative effect.Yes it does leave me really drowsy in the morning but i would rather go thru this than not sleep if ya know what i mean. I have been suffering from depression for 7 months but only been taking AD's for 4 months. I do not think that the citalopram is working for me so my psychiatrist has suggested dropping the citalopram slowly so i will just be on 45mg Mirtazapine and if no better will try Venlafaxine or lithium aparently. Shocked
hth good luck
Lift me up
gregorymichael
MVP
MVP

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:35 am

Hello The_Ferret_Lives,

For me, Mirtazapine (Avanza) is brilliant! There will be some initial side effects including some weight gain, drowziness, some dizziness but once these subside, the benefits can be tremendous. I take 45mg nocte, they take two hours to optimize and with them having a sedative effect, it is a real pleasure to bed down for the night.

I found for a while that I dreamt more but nothing too nightmarish, in time you should return to your ideal weight as lifestyle pans out and rather than treating the medication as something 'alien' I tend adopt the attitude to taking it as being a good thing that helps me operate efficiently in most aspects of life.

I hope it works for you. My doctor described Mirtazapine as being a designer anti-depressant; what more could I want?

Regards
Greg.
The_Ferret_Lives

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:31 pm

Side Effects    Reply with quote  

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, nice to know how fantastic you think Mirtazapine is.

One thing I want to know is how bad your drowsiness was when you started taking it and how long did it take for this to wear off?

I've been completely zonked all day today after taking my first 30mg pill on Saturday night! I've just fallen asleep from 7:30 until just after 11pm and I still feel shattered and think I'll get back into bed again.

Is this normal and how did you cope? When was the best time to take the tablet? When did the sedative effect wear off? Please tell me it does!!!!

Yours

Ferret
gregorymichael
MVP
MVP

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am

Hello The_Ferret_Lives,

Medication effects people differently, so the time when drowziness subsides will vary. I take mine around 7pm for a 9pm bedtime, as I mentioned earlier it takes about 2 hours for the sedative effects to optimize.

Try to be patient; and as far as coping is concerned, you may just need to go with it for a time but it will eventually become more than copable as its properties work with and become part of your 'system.'

Regards
Greg.
Blueboots

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:47 am

Ferret
I have found Mirtazapine to be very effective. I know it works because when I tried to reduce it I went back into deep depression quickly and then recovered quickly when I started taking it again.
When I first started Mirtazapine I was completely zonked out for the first few days but this passed within 4 or 5 days. I take 30 mg last thing at before I go to bed about 11pm I get up about 6.30am with no problems.
I hope Mirtazapine works really well for you
deepdown

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:44 am

hi there. im new to all this so be gentle. i take mirt 45mlg every night about an hour befor bed , the doc ttryed to reduce it to 15mlg a couple of weeks ago and BANG i was back in that hole agian, now gone backup to 45s starting to climb back out.
Celtigra

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 pm

I was glad to find this site. I too was on Citaprolam having previously been on Prozac and then Venlafaxine. The only reason I came off these was because they no longer worked at the higher doze. My doctor put me on Mirtazapine three weeks ago. Previously on SSRIs I had never had any side-effects, or if I did they were minimal. On Mirtazapine I am having really vivid dreams, feel dizzy, drowsy and generally out of sorts. What I want to know is this normal or is it due to the virus I caught two days before I started Mirtazapine? I have now been off work (my third week) and still feel dreadful, is it the virus or the medication? I have had depression since I was 16 and the SSRIs have been life savers for me that is why I am so distressed just now, oh and I also feel dizzy and light headed. My doctor says to try it to the end of the week, but I am on the verge of abandoning it just to see if physically it makes me feel better, what do others think? Sad
skye123

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:51 pm

I felt dizzy etc for the first two three days only, its the physical agitation that seems to be the problem at present , really worried about increasing dose , as it may get worse, cant see me being able to go back to work like this , which only adds to my already oveloaded brain, hppe it works for you Confused
Twenties
Preferred Member

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:00 am

About the dizziness.. I spoke to my psychiatrist about this yesterday. He said the reason was low blood pressure. He recommended to start drinking coffee again. I stopped because of jurplesmans posts in the first place. The psychiatrist wrote his doctoral thesis on caffeine, and he reassured me that the link between caffeine consumption and depression is not statistically significant.

I am soo happy that I can drink coffee again! I love coffee Smile I won't drink as much as before, but one cup in the morning and one after lunch or in the afternoon.
Celtigra

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Mirtazapine    Reply with quote  

I did try stopping my blood pressure tablets, thinking the side-effects were giving me low bp, but my doc. checked it and my bp was still high. The side effects of dizziness, etc., seem to have abated, so I am presuming all my symptoms were caused by the virus I had which just coincided with me starting Mirtazapine. However, after three weeks my mood is still pretty low and has not lifted whereas when I was on Prozac/Venlafaxine/Citaprolam at various times, my mood lifted almost instantaneously. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile going back to Venlafaxine! Sad
scampo

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Re: Side Effects    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by The_Ferret_Lives
Hi all

Thanks for your replies, nice to know how fantastic you think Mirtazapine is.

One thing I want to know is how bad your drowsiness was when you started taking it and how long did it take for this to wear off?

I've been completely zonked all day today after taking my first 30mg pill on Saturday night! I've just fallen asleep from 7:30 until just after 11pm and I still feel shattered and think I'll get back into bed again.

Is this normal and how did you cope? When was the best time to take the tablet? When did the sedative effect wear off? Please tell me it does!!!!

Yours

Ferret

It certainly knocked me out and, to be honest, in the end I was glad to be rid of it. The sedative effects were initially welcome, though. I know some people enjoy these effects but I eventually found I was just no longer able to be myself and was better off without the drug. It had no effect whatever on my anxiety and depression, either. It's quite an old drug - at least based on an older drug. I don't see why it's a designer drug in any way - more of a blunderbuss!

Apparently taking 45mg at night has a less sedating effect than 15mg. It didn't for me!
MA6487

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Mirtazapine - any experiences?    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by The_Ferret_Lives
Hi all

I've just had my medication changed from Citalopram to Mirtazapine and upped to 30mg.

Although I didn't have a problem with Citalopram's side effects I didn't really feel it helped me that much so I'm okay with trying something new but wanted to know if anyone has any positive - or negative - experiences of Mirtazapine?

As far as I've been told (and just looked up on wiki) the side-effects of Mirtazapine are drowsiness in the morning for the first 2 weeks and maybe a bit of weight gain but apart from that there's no shaking and jerking and no negative effect on sex drive - so that sounds good to me.

Okay then, over to you guys Very Happy

The Ferret

I've been on Mirtazapine for six months now, the only side-effect I'm getting is restlessness, but this might be caused by something else.
dalek

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Remeron    Reply with quote  

Howdy, I've been on mirtazapine aka Remeron for 3 years now. I don't think this drug has had a strong antidepressant effect for me, but it has been invaluable in helping with sleep. I take 45mg at night, and sleep great. It has also increased my appetite and I have gained ten pounds, which for me is a good thing.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: