Hello, in the last few years i have really started to suffer with anxiety and panic attacks and am looking for some advice. The first panic attack i ever had that i can remember was making a presentation in front of my peers at school, middle teens. The things i hate about it is that everyones focused on me and i constantly feel that people are judging me. My heart races, i get sweaty hands, i don't think i show it much but inside me my heart is pounding.
The thing is i realize that my panic attacks are totally irrational after and i think im a stupid moron but at the time its really hard to deal with. Just thinking about having a panic attack makes me want to cry.
Because of my panic attacks i try to avoid certain situations and im always on edge. Here are some examples of panic attacks i have had:
- Answering the phone and not knowing who's calling me
- I just purchased my first house and my parents helped me through it all. Things such as phoning up estate agents, utility companies, solicitors etc scare the **** out of me. I generally really hate using the phone because i cant see peoples faces.
- I hate it when people ask me personal questions, like what i do for a living, and other stuff. Sometimes triggers small panic attack. Especially since my career isnt simple to explain, very technical. BTW i am self employed and lack of social interaction probably makes it worse.
- I have the constant fear of being judged, and if i think i am i will find a way to remove myself from a situation
- When i am at the gym and people look at me / stare at me i sometimes get a mild panic attack. I have trouble making eye contact with strangers.
- I try to do all my business dealings online. I am afraid of making arrangements via phone to better my business.
I really feel like all this crap is prohibiting me from living a good life. I am a young successful man who should be in the prime of his life. But i have all this stuff just stopping me in my tracks. I wish i didn't think so much and over analyze situations. Its come to the point where i feel crippled and want to do something about it.
What can i do?