Are you suppose to feel your heart beat? (Crazy I know)

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby letsgogrant » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:10 am

I've posted on this board before and have had a history of anxiety. I just had a electrocardiogram and ekg, all were normal, except for a minor mitral valve prolapse. However, whenever I don't feel my heart beat I go into a panic. Sometimes its cause palpitation and recently I have been getting a lot of palpitations, I must have had like 20 today. I'm only 22 and used to play soccer, its an odd feeling having to ask this. Sometimes it feel like I am gonna have a heart attack. Dose anyone experience this? are you suppose to feel your heart beat? how about when working out?
Thanks,

-Grant
letsgogrant

Postby Forumer3 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:02 am

letsgogrant wrote:I've posted on this board before and have had a history of anxiety. I just had a electrocardiogram and ekg, all were normal, except for a minor mitral valve prolapse. However, whenever I don't feel my heart beat I go into a panic. Sometimes its cause palpitation and recently I have been getting a lot of palpitations, I must have had like 20 today. I'm only 22 and used to play soccer, its an odd feeling having to ask this. Sometimes it feel like I am gonna have a heart attack. Dose anyone experience this? are you suppose to feel your heart beat? how about when working out?
Thanks,

-Grant

No definitely not. You are not supposed to "feel" your heart beat. Not unless you put your hand on your chest or you place two fingers on your vein.

Other than that not feeling your heart is NORMAL. Feeling it beat all the time is NOT. Relax, and read my post in thread called "I hate medication and I'm done trying".
Forumer3

Postby shanemac » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Im 24 and im in the same boat. I`m constantly aware of my heart beat. I know we shouldnt feel it but we do because of anxiety. I too went Into panic attack mode when I couldnt feel my heart beating a few times. I ended up in the er thinking I was dying. Keep readind these threads and try to get it out of your head is the best advice I can give. This site has helped me enourmously. Just to know that I am not the only one going through these things. Its all in the head. just try not to worry bout it.
shanemac

Postby letsgogrant » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:29 am

Thanks for the support!

-Grant
letsgogrant

Postby sgreen007 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:54 am

ibex333 wrote:No definitely not. You are not supposed to "feel" your heart beat.

Not sure where it says that you are supposed to, or not supposed to?

I can feel my heart beat when I am working out, and when I am lying still
reading.

Then other times I have no awareness of it whatsoever.

I just class this as a normal feeling and that I am sensistive to it.

IMPORTANT - if you are sat there wondering whether your heart is still
beating... it is. Otherwise you wouldn't be sat there asking that question.
sgreen007
Preferred Member

Postby chippy! » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:39 pm

yer i went through a phase when i was worrying about my heart beat. i had to keep my hand on it to prove to myself it was still beating. i think its because when we're suffering from anxiety we've got used to concentrating on ourselves so much, and we've internalised ourselves from the real world. its a confidence thing. just got to go past caring.
chippy!

Postby chijcy1962 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:47 am

I don't think it's catastrophic, if you feel your heart beating,
better than not. :)

Out of all the anxiety symptoms, heart palps. are the scariest to me,
so it's easy I think, to fall into a 'heart obsession', which I have.

I just try to tell myself, it's gonna beat, w/o me thinking about it.
It's an amazing organ.
chijcy1962

Postby letsgogrant » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:25 am

its good to know others have suffered the same thing.

Thanks for the help!

-Grant
letsgogrant

Postby letsgogrant » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:28 am

Bump
letsgogrant

Postby Annie7788 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:37 am

Letsgogrant if it makes you feel any better I also have a similar type of heart condition which I am pretty much sure is mitral valve prolapse. It's considered a mild and fairly harmless condition which doesn't really make any difference to my life except I used to get more colds than normal.

I do sometimes get my heart thumping through my chest for no reason but I don't think it's related to the heart condition. I don't tend to worry about this symptom because it also happens when I am very anxious about something and I know it's a common symptom of panic so I ignore it. I think tendency to mitral valve prolapse goes with a slightly more anxious personality so maybe that's something you should research to make you feel more assured. Just google "mitral valve prolapse personality" and you will find confirmation from others.

I used to be extremely anxious about all sorts of things when I was younger. So maybe this was the cause.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby lynda57 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:22 pm

hi everyone,new to this,ive been having ectopic heartbeats for ages,had an episode last night,my heart was all over the place,felt sick dizzy,you name it.ended up calling 999,aand yet again they said i had an ectopic and irregular heartbeat,sent me home again,how do people cope with this,i go to bed with them and wake up with them,i find life miserable at the moment,they must be the most distressing condition on the planet,how can all of this happen and cause no long time damage to your heart,anyone know.
lynda57

Postby shanemac » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:59 pm

lynda57 wrote:they must be the most distressing condition on the planet,how can all of this happen and cause no long time damage to your heart,anyone know.

Hi lynda,
Check ot the thread on this site called heart skips a beat PVC`s. There is a wealth of ideas on there.
shanemac

Postby letsgogrant » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:22 am

Annie7788 wrote:Letsgogrant if it makes you feel any better I also have a similar type of heart condition which I am pretty much sure is mitral valve prolapse. It's considered a mild and fairly harmless condition which doesn't really make any difference to my life except I used to get more colds than normal.

I do sometimes get my heart thumping through my chest for no reason but I don't think it's related to the heart condition. I don't tend to worry about this symptom because it also happens when I am very anxious about something and I know it's a common symptom of panic so I ignore it. I think tendency to mitral valve prolapse goes with a slightly more anxious personality so maybe that's something you should research to make you feel more assured. Just google "mitral valve prolapse personality" and you will find confirmation from others.

I used to be extremely anxious about all sorts of things when I was younger. So maybe this was the cause.

I have minor Mitral Valve prolapse. I have no clue that it could cause you anxiety. I had an electrocardiogram about 3 years ago and another one about 3 months ago both were identical and showed a Mitral vavle prolaspe. The cardiologist that I go to is cool and told me its not serious enough for meds, but he did say it can cause chest pain, skipped beats, dizzyness, etc ( im sure you know).

Thannks,

Grant
letsgogrant

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks