citolapram-1st post here

Postby mc01 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:58 pm

hi, i am new to this site. i have recently been diagnosed with depression, and have struggled with addiction all my life...i am clean now though. i have been on citolapram 40mgs for about 5 weeks now and although i feel less down i am feeling flat and have no energy or motivation. is this normal and how long before i feel myself again?
thanks in advance.
mc01
mc01

Postby PoppyGoodWill » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:53 am

What do you mean by feeling flat? Cause it will even out the peaks and valleys of your emotions so that it can seem like you feel not much at all. (This was a blessing for me, as I took it for high anxiety). So if you're expecting the drugs to bounce you up to happiness from depression, that might not happen. You just won't feel the low low of being so down.

Kicking in time varies. I felt a significatn difference with a few days. I'm sensitive to drugs that way. But I'd say five weeks is about long enough for you to have them at work in yoru system.
PoppyGoodWill
MVP
MVP

Postby mc01 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:45 am

thanks for your reply but no i dont expect the drug to bounce me into a state of happyness, i do feel better, in that i am not so depressed, but i am sleeping alot, 12 hours a night and often 2-3 hours during the day...i just feel flat, have no motivation physically......i was wondering if maby i am on a higher dose than i need and yes i intend to talk with my dr about this. just wondered if anyone else has experienced this happening.
mc01
mc01

Postby brian231 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:36 pm

mc01 wrote:thanks for your reply but no i dont expect the drug to bounce me into a state of happyness, i do feel better, in that i am not so depressed, but i am sleeping alot, 12 hours a night and often 2-3 hours during the day...i just feel flat, have no motivation physically......i was wondering if maby i am on a higher dose than i need and yes i intend to talk with my dr about this. just wondered if anyone else has experienced this happening.
mc01

I'm having the same problem with effexor. I've been sleeping 12-14 hours a day and all I feel like doing is laying in bed because I have no energy. I stopped working out because of lack of energy and I even stopped going for walks with my dog because I'm so tired, exhausted, and drowsy. I just have no energy or motivation to do anything at all which is actually worsening my depression as a result.
brian231

Postby Pixypie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Hiya just read your post, I have worked in the drug field for a number of years now on a project known as Progress2work, have you ever thought of NLP (neurolinguistic programming) we use it to help our clients in the second stage of rehab, and also for clients who need a bit of a boost, it works really well and I wish we had more money to offer more sessions to clients.

I have sufferred from addiction and depression for years after my sister died leaving a child behind with a serious heart condition it threw me into a world of unknown. I have been on a number of anti-depressants and after a 2 year stint of feeling better my depression has returned sadly. I have tried prozac again and another drug today they prescribed citalopram I will try it and see how I feel. I'm considering CBT as its been offerred but we will see.

Anyhow hope I haven't wittered too much, if you want any more info give me a shout! heres to us all feeling better soon xx
Pixypie

Postby jurplesman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:00 am

Like so many of you who try drugs to treat depression it is all a great disappointment.

Drugs treat the symptoms of a biochemical imbalance but does not treat its causes, thus they are palliatives.

You need to treat mood disorders at its root.

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder here

Depression: a Disease of Energy Production

Discuss with a Nutritional Doctor or a Clinical Nutritionist.
jurplesman

Postby *Minnie* » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:09 pm

I find citalopram takes about 6 weeks to work for me.
*Minnie*