Earache/Clicking ears when swallowing? Help!

Postby JoJo07 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to know if anyone else who suffers from anxiety,panic attacks, HVS etc has a bit of earache in both ears and especially when swallowing finds that their ears 'click' really loudly :? I also hear a faint ring sometimes, Im absolutely terrified about this :cry: Please someone help !!!!!!
JoJo07

Postby zowbie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi
My ears always click when I swallow, I presume it is normal. And I've also had ringing sometimes. Don't worry your fine!
zowbie

Postby bigpete87 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:43 pm

I suffer this too! I think its normal for me as I suffer from hearing loss and tinnitus since childhood. I dont know, could it be normal? but dont worry, its not dangerous.
bigpete87

Postby JoJo07 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Objective tinnitus

In a minority of cases, a clinician can perceive an actual sound (e.g., a bruit) emanating from the patient's ears. This is called objective tinnitus. Objective tinnitus can arise from muscle spasms that cause clicks or crackling around the middle ear.

^^ Got that off wikipedia cos' I was worried about the ringing, thinking I was going to get full blown tinnitus, just another thing I [/u]dont[u] need! Apparently it can be triggered by anxiety/low levels of serotonin so Im thinking that its because of those. I also feel a pressure on my ears aswell and am getting earache which is annoying but more worrying really. Is it worth giving this a mention to the doctor? My worst fear is that I'll lose my hearing...I sound like such a hypochondriac! Cant help it though! :(
JoJo07

Postby Blind Guardian » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Happens to me too. I've just leanred to ignore it.
Blind Guardian

Postby JoJo07 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Im trying to , it just freaks me out when it happens and worsens the anxiety.
JoJo07

Postby Blind Guardian » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 pm

You just have to remember that it's nothing bad. When i first noticed it I got worried but now, I don't even notice it half the time.

Try not to worry about it. :)
Blind Guardian

Postby JoJo07 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Blind Guardian wrote:You just have to remember that it's nothing bad. When i first noticed it I got worried but now, I don't even notice it half the time.

Try not to worry about it. :)

hey,

thanks for the reply!, I try and just block it out and tell myself Im being stupid, it usually seems to work. I used to have problems with my ears when I was very young and had to have 'gromits' - are they called? :? because of bad earache or something along those lines. They are sore though at the moment with the feeling of pressure in them aswell so i guess i'll just have to see what happens. Apparently people with no history of hearing problems or anything associated with tinnitus, when put in a silent room, report hearing some sort of buzzing/ringing sound anyway, I dont know how true that is or the ins and outs of it but its comforting to know at least. x
JoJo07

Postby JoJo07 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for what to do about the ringing sound in your head, any practical way of making it go away or lessen?
JoJo07

Postby bigpete87 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 pm

There's no way to get rid of the ringing, unless you have a cold or taking meds, it'll go away eventually but for tinnitus sufferers like me, not always easy to rid the ringing as theres no cure for it.

You can distract yourself from the ringing. The more you focus on your ringing, the more annoying it gets. Try listening to soft music or have a fan on to mask out the sound. Dont listen to music at a loud volume or you make the ringing worst. Also try not to think or focus on the ringing. It works for me.

BTW I have like 3 or 4 different ringing sounds in my ears and I learned to live with it. I can still hear but difficult to hear at a very low decibel, ie whispers. I remember I panicked when I first had the ringings but got over it in a few days.

Hope everyone have a good week :)
bigpete87

Postby bigpete87 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 pm

There's no way to get rid of the ringing, unless you have a cold or taking meds, it'll go away eventually but for tinnitus sufferers like me, not always easy to rid the ringing as theres no cure for it.

You can distract yourself from the ringing. The more you focus on your ringing, the more annoying it gets. Try listening to soft music or have a fan on to mask out the sound. Dont listen to music at a loud volume or you make the ringing worst. Also try not to think or focus on the ringing. It works for me.

BTW I have like 3 or 4 different ringing sounds in my ears and I learned to live with it. I can still hear but difficult to hear at a very low decibel, ie whispers. I remember I panicked when I first had the ringings but got over it in a few days.

Hope everyone have a good week :)
bigpete87

Postby JoJo07 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey, thanks for replying, guess Im just gunna have to put up with it :x ggrrr! I do find it fades and goes away if I dont focus on it, its just hard not to when it happens because you're thinking 'oh my god not again' lol.
JoJo07

Postby woofytalk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 am

hey jojo,

I know what you mean. I have to just ignore it also in order for the pain to go away. I say it over and over that "it's really all in my head". It's amazing how the brain can create these physical reactions.

Just think of how powerful we would be if we used our brains for positive physical and mental responses. We really do have the choice. You just have to emerse yourself in a feeling of hope. Until this belief is solidified it's impossible to let all our anxiety go.

-Rachel
woofytalk

Postby woofytalk » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 am

hey jojo,

I know what you mean. I have to just ignore it also in order for the pain to go away. I say it over and over that "it's really all in my head". It's amazing how the brain can create these physical reactions.

Just think of how powerful we would be if we used our brains for positive physical and mental responses. We really do have the choice. You just have to emerse yourself in a feeling of hope. Until this belief is solidified it's impossible to let all our anxiety go.

-Rachel
woofytalk

Postby Eleise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:05 pm

hey, i have had the clicking noise since i was little so for about 12 years now and only recently have i noticed the ringing noise which worried me slightly as well, tthe clickin noise i have managd to ignore as it comes and gos and i always put it down to been blocked up...i always seem to have a cold!!! i wouldn't worry, but please also don't use wikipedia to look up symptoms as stuff on there is often made up by people 'just for a laugh' theres been examples of it by under common cold it says u may turn into and elephant and such ridiculous things like that, if your that concerned see your doc, but im sure there is nothing to worry about :-)
Eleise

Next