Vomiting phobia

Postby narcissismcured » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 am

The fact most surprising to non-phobics is that the great majority of emetophobics rarely, if ever, vomit. An emetophobic is a person who has been in car collisions more often than they have vomited. Most phobics can count the number of times they have vomited on the fingers of one hand. Some emetophobics have survived pregnancy and childbirth, appendicitis, and gall bladder operations without as much as a single retch. Even when they did, they typically had only a single episode of vomiting with each illness -- 52 percent say they only vomit once during an illness -- in contrast to many non-phobics who can attest to vomiting repeatedly over the course of an illness. (Only a third of non-phobics vomit only once in a typical illness.)
narcissismcured

Postby jwright_77 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 am

I am a teacher who checks the status of the stomach flu from our school nurse daily, I wash obsessively, I antibac, and sometimes won't eat for fear of throwing up or ingesting the virus that will make me throw-up. I have been on Zoloft for 5 years for OCD symptoms and it was working but now I am having another bout with it. I hoard zofran to use in case of stomach flu (down to 2, where do I get more?). My kids know of my fear so they hesitate to let me know when they feel sick. I have a "puke kit" in my pantry. I wake up at least 3 nights a week to "check if I feel ok". I used to wake the kids for their "stomach checks" too. That was cured by the Zoloft, but it is coming back. I WILL NEVER go on a cruise for fear of motion sickness or the Norwalk Virus. I don't think people realize how serious my fear is and how much it keeps me from doing. I just wish I could reach in my head and pull out the thought I have, the worries, the routines I do...I hate that my kids see it, I hate that my husband has to watch out for it in public, I hate that when I go ANYWHERE my first thought is "Did somebody throw up here?" or "Is that smashed food or did somebody throw up in the parking lot?". I hate not being able to step on spots in the carpet because I know that is where one of my kids (or students) threw up. I hate that I can name every time I have thrown up, describe it in detail and tell you every time my children have thrown up. It never stops
jwright_77

Postby jwright_77 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 am

Had a similar "experience" with vomiting. I despise the fact that I can't ride rides with my kids for fear of being thrown up on, fairs are a whole event of searching out the kid who might throw up near me. While my kids have the stomach flu, I do not sleep, eat or function at ALL! I found my father lying in a pool of his own vomit as a child. I though he was dead. From that point on, I have been terrified of it. I used to make my brother cover me with his body so I wouldn't hear it, see it, or be near it. I continually check in the stores for "pukers" whose parents might not see the signs like I do. When I tell of my different nuances to friends, they think I am laughing at myself so they laugh with me. I would love to live in a bubble. Howie Mandel has this phobia, just read that a few others have it too. Matt Lauer, Carmen Diaz.... My friends think I care about their children when they have stomach bugs. I do, but not as much as I care about their contagious state. I call 2-3 times to see if they are still vomiting, so I can warn my kids to "not play" with this one or that one. Does all this work? Not in the least. Every year, normally around Christmas, we all get it and it is a week or two of complete hell for all involved.
jwright_77

Postby jwright_77 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:26 am

As I was reading through I came across her (rfreezy) story....did she make it through? Did she find anything that helped? Does anybody know?
jwright_77

Postby katemoss » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

iv just read this and its made me cry its somethng iv had to try learn to live with but every day is astuggle ..iv being in a mental health hospital with this iv had cbt theropy you name it iv tried it ..but like yourself i was pertrafied to ever have children fear of morning sickness however i have a little boy now aged two wich is a big thing tht i have over come , this horrible fear takes over my life and my familys im so scared i will pass my fear onto my son ... iv recently got back intouvh with my doctor to get some more cbt coz my phobia is stopping me from being :NORMAL :( X X
katemoss

Postby beth0816 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I cannot eat at restaurants at all anymore. It's affecting my relationship with my fiance and my friends all think I am nuts. I am so embarrassed by this and have not told anyone my fear of vomiting in public. It is ruining my life! I am afraid of being sick at work, around my fiance, at stores, etc.
I have stomach issues, but never actually vomit. It has been years since I have. How can I get my life back on track? I may need to see a therapist who specializes in this type of thing. I really need help.
beth0816

Postby sabinaball » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm

I have the same phobia as you, my dad was murdered on 2000 and since then I think that being sick leads to death, and whenever I see/hear/smell sick I panic, (I don't know what it is about sick that panics me I have never wanted to find out) I know I'm only 17 but I hate it, it leads me to be afraid to practically live. I get panic attacks, anxiety attacks, and everything else. I feel that I have never been able to have a proper child life. I have never been on school trips (unless I go in a separate car) I don't get drunk with my friends ( I have once and that ended up with her throwing up everywhere and panicking me half to death) I'm afraid to have kids I feel that I'm the only one in this world that has it, someone help me please :( I can't live with this for the rest of my life, none of my doctors or nurses understand they all tell me to stop being stupid ( and I'm not joking when I say that) please help!!!!!! Please
sabinaball

Postby Jbalance » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi sabinaball ...this is new to me ,you say your dad was murdered on 2000 ... Thats 12years ago ,HOW ?
Jbalance

Postby Jbalance » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 pm

That 16 years ago ... Funny can’t recall anything like this on the New then ... So your dad is deceased then ...
Jbalance

Postby sabinaball » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm

I said 2006, :/ and you think I'm lieing don't you.............. It was on the news, and I came on here to get help not for someone to think I'm lieing :/ go on google and go on the BBC website and write man found in shallow pool, that is the first newspaper thing went they first found him,
Last edited by sabinaball on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabinaball

Postby Jbalance » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Why did you just erase the last comments you made sabinaball
Jbalance

Postby sabinaball » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 pm

I didn't mean to erase it, I was trying to change mean to men, what it said was that 2 men picked him up and chucked him ina shallow pond while one of them stood on his neck until he died, why don't you believe me? :(
sabinaball

Postby anxiousgirl22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:49 am

My response is pretty much the same as cinap's, it can get better! Everyone always thought I was CRAZY! I've had emetophobia since I was very young, about 5 years old, and was in therapy for it all through elementary school and the beginning of middle school. I used to be so terrified of being in public thinking I may get sick, and I would never eat because I thought if I never ate I could never throw up.

I remember being 8 and having my parents make me go to the movie theater a few times that year and being scared out of my mind crying each time begging my parents to let me stay home because for some reason the movie theater scared me the most and I thought that going would surely make me barf or be exposed to someone who might. I still do have a phobia of it but it isn't so bad that I won't eat and stuff, it's more of being scared to get sick and if I were to hear or see someone get sick I will have a panic attack, I won't black out anymore from it like I used to, though.

I know medicine isn't always the answer but Zofran, promethazine, and xanax have all worked for me if your doctor recommends it to you too. They can make you tired and you shouldn't use them too much but those times when you really want to go out and have dinner at a restaurant or do something that really freaks you out and makes you feel nauseated, if you have just enough of it to relax you and quell your stomach it really does make it easier.
anxiousgirl22

Postby anxiousgirl22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 am

narcissismcured wrote:The fact most surprising to non-phobics is that the great majority of emetophobics rarely, if ever, vomit. An emetophobic is a person who has been in car collisions more often than they have vomited. Most phobics can count the number of times they have vomited on the fingers of one hand. Some emetophobics have survived pregnancy and childbirth, appendicitis, and gall bladder operations without as much as a single retch. Even when they did, they typically had only a single episode of vomiting with each illness -- 52 percent say they only vomit once during an illness -- in contrast to many non-phobics who can attest to vomiting repeatedly over the course of an illness. (Only a third of non-phobics vomit only once in a typical illness.)

This is so true! I rarely EVER vomit, everyone at my house would have the flu and they would be barfing and I would barf maybe once or not at all, I can keep myself from doing it I will not let myself barf. While researching emetophobia back when I was in high school to do a report on it for this "problem/illnesses i suffer from" paper, I read that strong phobias can actually give a person voluntary control over otherwise involuntary body functions. Which is interesting because when I am extremely ill I can come very close to throwing up but I hold it back, people think it's weird but it's totally true!
anxiousgirl22

Postby Jbalance » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 am

Fascinating ... The way I see this vomiting is a way for that person calm or heal themselves .
Jbalance

PreviousNext