Difference between self esteem and insecurity?

Self esteem - in this over-hyped field it's essential to distinguish fact from fiction.Self confidence - faith in your own abilities is so important in today's high-achieving world.

Postby Big_Dave » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Could someone please explain the difference? And perhaps some real life example of how they would effect ones life / relationships.

Thank you =)
Big_Dave

Postby soundwave » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:11 pm

i think that if you have negative self esteem you are gonna be insecure

is building self esteem a way to becoming secure?
soundwave
Preferred Member

Postby dulaney0330 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 am

Big_Dave wrote:Could someone please explain the difference? And perhaps some real life example of how they would effect ones life / relationships.

Thank you =)

Good question!

By my own definition, self-esteem is the foundation on how we view, feel, and judge not only ourselves but our enviornment. An online dictionary defines insecurity as "not confident or certain; uneasy; anxious." By that definition, insecurity is a symptom of low self-esteem.

For example, I view, feel and judge myself as inadequate, inferior and worthless. An insecurity of mine is speaking infront of others because I feel inadequate, inferior and worthless. When the foundation is cracked, decayed and broken then the emotional and mental growth of an individual will be limited and discouraged.

I hope this helps!
dulaney0330

Postby Yellowcoaching » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 am

In my opinion low self esteem leads to feelings of insecurity but is not limited to that.

Low self esteem can mean you have a distorted view of yourself and that you don't rate yourself as highly as others do.
Insecurity is a symptom of low self esteem meaning that you find it difficult if not impossible to believe the positive things that others say about or to you.

Go to www.yellowcoaching.com for more information on self esteem and how to feel a greater sense of confidence. Or contact me for a free introductory session.
Yellowcoaching
Preferred Member

Postby soundwave » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:12 pm

true that.
you need to focus on thinking positive things. noticing when the negative, thoughts pics, chat, or a feeling and look at whats goin on and try to improve!
soundwave
Preferred Member

Return to Self Esteem & Confidence