B complex for Depression--Does it work?

Postby dulaney0330 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:32 am

Has anyone experimented with B complex vitamins (of 100 mg and over) for treatment of depression?

Yesterday I was researching suicide and I came across a site where this woman struggled with suicidal depression for years and B complex vitamins were her "cure." http://depressionlife.com/4_BVitamins/index.html

I also found this AMAZING testimonial about B complex and relieving depression and other negative symptoms:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Vitam...3A520DCB-prod5

What do you all think??
dulaney0330

Postby megan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:54 am

Theres a variety of natural ways you can elleviate depression, this combined with a high dose of good quality Omega 3 capsules and of course attention to diet and daily exercise .. you can cut depression dramatically in terms of severity.

I recently came across an advert for another natural suppliment called 5-HTP .. which works on seratonin levels .. so far so good, also helps with sleep, anxiety, reduces appetite (my main reason for it)

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvi ... a/5HTP.htm

If you are in the UK Holland Barrett have a sale on at the moment and its quite cheap (usually its quite expensive!)
megan

Postby Capricious71 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:57 am

Hi dulaney0330, unfortunately that link didn't work for me. I got to epinions but not that specific review.

I did find this, though and it sounds interesting:

http://www.epinions.com/content_123148013188

Megan - I've found that 5-htp is a great supplement.

I'm VERY interested in how the brain works. I used to be very depressed and it changed when I quit a bad diet. I feel a bit fed-up now and again but it doesn't last long. That's normal for most people.

I guess I'm a self-help junkie. I do yoga, which is wonderful.

I think I've found another breakthrough with meditation.

There's a fascinating presentation about meditation and the mind here.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l1l-xALTO30

You can learn meditation for nothing. I think TM is a rip-off but meditation itself is a very natural state and well worth pursuing.

Kind regards to all and Happy Easter.

Ed.
Capricious71
Preferred Member

Postby scampo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Try it - they're cheap and safe. B vitamins are very common in foodstuffs and our diets are full of them so the chances of them working are slim indeed. But, for some people, cures can be found in the oddest of things, so just to have a chance of getting rid of this living hell, it's worth a go!
scampo

Postby Markfriendsmakesdifferenc » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:53 pm

would just say that it is not safe to take 5htp with any anti depressants. but if you take antidepressants take b complex, magnesium, vitamin c, calcium, cod liver oil.also consider l-tyrosine.
Markfriendsmakesdifferenc

Postby needlifeback » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 am

I have tried every pill and potion over my many long years of depression. NO supplement, diet, medication works 100% What they do is help clear your head a bit for you to get on with the real cure. Your mind, thoughts, attitude etc. This is the part that screws me over. I don't have enough emotional support around me to reach the real cure.
needlifeback
Preferred Member

Postby dulaney0330 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 am

needlifeback wrote:I have tried every pill and potion over my many long years of depression. NO supplement, diet, medication works 100% What they do is help clear your head a bit for you to get on with the real cure. Your mind, thoughts, attitude etc. This is the part that screws me over. I don't have enough emotional support around me to reach the real cure.

I have been taking 40 mg of each B complex and so far, so good! I also exercise healthy cognitive thought and I challenge my negative distortions.

I am sorry to hear that you do not have enough emotional support. Sometimes it only takes one person to make a difference. Perhaps finding a support group? But what is the real cure?
dulaney0330

Postby SouthernSindikit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:42 am

I have only been taking a multi-vitamin for 4 weeks but when I added Omega 3 w/ High doses of DHA/EPA 300-400mg per pill 3/4 times a day for the past 4 days - I wouldn't say I am completely cured of my depression but I feel like I'm almost back on top of my game like I was 2 years ago! Working out and getting plenty of sunshine and "human interaction" has greatly helped as well. Good Luck and make sure you get high quality suppliments.
SouthernSindikit

Postby dulaney0330 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:46 am

SouthernSindikit wrote:I have only been taking a multi-vitamin for 4 weeks but when I added Omega 3 w/ High doses of DHA/EPA 300-400mg per pill 3/4 times a day for the past 4 days - I wouldn't say I am completely cured of my depression but I feel like I'm almost back on top of my game like I was 2 years ago! Working out and getting plenty of sunshine and "human interaction" has greatly helped as well. Good Luck and make sure you get high quality suppliments.

Thanks for the info! I have attempted to take Omega 3 but the ones I did try the pills were too big. They got caught in my throat and it actually hurt to swallow it! Perhaps there are smaller pills :lol:
dulaney0330

Postby SouthernSindikit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:39 am

LOL funny you said that! Last night one got stuck sideways in my throat. It went down after a while but they are HUGE! Try Natrues Bounty brand, I believe they are smaller than the GNC, tomorrow i'll find out for sure
SouthernSindikit

Postby jurplesman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:41 am

Taking individual "natural" remedies may not be enough for your body to produce the feel-good neurotransmitters. It is far more complex than that.

Please read:

Hit or Miss Supplements for Depression

for an explanation.
jurplesman

Postby dulaney0330 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:05 am

SouthernSindikit wrote:LOL funny you said that! Last night one got stuck sideways in my throat. It went down after a while but they are HUGE! Try Natrues Bounty brand, I believe they are smaller than the GNC, tomorrow i'll find out for sure

Thanks! I look forward to your response!
dulaney0330

Postby SouthernSindikit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Ok so I got back from Longs with some more Omega 3 and I can't believe my eyes when I opened the bottles!!!! They are even bigger than the GNC pills and they don't have that gel coating to make them go down easier lol
They might as well classify these as horse pills. I'll keep looking for some smaller pills - I also saw some liquid that tasted like "lemon" I don't know how true that is but might be worth trying and mix with your favorite beverage.
SouthernSindikit

Postby dulaney0330 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:13 pm

SouthernSindikit wrote:Ok so I got back from Longs with some more Omega 3 and I can't believe my eyes when I opened the bottles!!!! They are even bigger than the GNC pills and they don't have that gel coating to make them go down easier lol
They might as well classify these as horse pills. I'll keep looking for some smaller pills - I also saw some liquid that tasted like "lemon" I don't know how true that is but might be worth trying and mix with your favorite beverage.

Thanks for checking it out! That is a shame! They should just make them in smaller doses with two pills--for people like me! Maybe they do...I'll keep an eye out!
dulaney0330

Postby m190 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:38 pm

hi
just to say ive been spurred on by all the positive comments re vit B complex. started taking them today
for anyone thats interested they are HALF PRICE at holland and barrett and this particular product has 100mg of each vitamin, which is rare(timed release B100)
ill update on progress
m190

Next

Return to Depression