Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Why can't I decide what to do with my life? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Why can't I decide what to do with my life?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Christop III

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Why can't I decide what to do with my life?    Reply with quote  

Hello, this might be in the wrong forum as I really wasn't sure.

I'm 20 and I've never been able to determine my ambitions. Whenver I've been asked or thought about the direction to take my future my thoughts always turn up blank. I've just never known so I've had to take the generic approach so I work underemployed in an office job for poor pay.

Naturally this lead to a quarter-life crisis when I was 19 and has been going on and off since then. I just get the feeling that there are so many avenues out there to explore yet not knowing which one I want to take gives me the impression the doors are closing the longer I waste away here when I could still have time to make a better life for myself.

Is there a reason why some people have no clue to their futures whilst others know straight away from a young age which avenue to take? Is it as simple as lack of confidence and fear or does it go deeper than that. Is it a realisation on the unpredictability of the future and avoidance of having all the eggs in one basket or lack of creativity?

I've been examining what I'm good at and what I'm not, but these of course are subjective viewpoints and may not be accurate or appreciated in real life. I don't even know the positions I could take with these skills. To be honest, I've always imagined my dream job of being non-target driven yet challenging, with a vibrant atmosphere and above minimum wage in terms of payment. Having a position where I can create, innovate or invent is also appealing too. I know, this is most people's dreams and the real world isn't so kind!

If you can't help me, would you know any websites I could try and find a good ambition for myself? I really feel lost at the moment adrift in society.

Thanks!

Christop III

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Nobody can help me? Can't give me any advice whatsoever? Not even to tell me this is the wrong forum?

Darn. Thanks anyway.
Twenties
Preferred Member

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Christop

There are career advisors that can give you some suggestions. Ask your school/college/university/employer/community center/some private company. It all depends on your education of course. If you want specific advice here you would have to share lots more details, like your CV and so on.

One generic bit of advice, though: Few people know exactly what they want at your age already. So they try different things and then eventually stay somewhere where they are content. Many people switch careers every few years. Many people never find something they like doing. In my own case, I only found something I liked doing at the age of 28; before that I had no clue.
Christop III

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks Twenties!
MungoRungo

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 pm

Christoph I'm 21 and I have a solid mission(s). I wasn't just born with it though it took me a serious amount of thinking to get it. I was in the same situation you were when I was about 18. I went out to the country with a couple of my friends to do a weed growing operation and I had lots of time to think and lots of thinking is what I did. I was sitting in a camping chair in the forest while reading a books on hallucinogenic plants when it came to me. I wanted to go to the rainforest and find and research medicinal and psychoactive plants.

Now I'm deadset on it. My mission has expanded alot since then but my main objective has stayed the same. I want to go to the Amazon jungle and study mind altering plants.

I'm going to university at the moment working on getting degrees in organic chemistry, pharmacology and botany at the moment. Thats the first and most important step. I hope to obtain a PhD in the future. After that I plan on going to the university in Hawaii which offers a degree course in ethnobotany which is the field that studies mind altering plants and the effects they have on humans.

I'm truly on a mission and I get joy out of studying anything that leads to accomplishing this mission. I'm telling you its well worth doing the thinking to figure out a mission to do. My missions are constantly changing but the general idea of it is still the same. I picture it happening in steps. First I become an organic chemist and work in a lab synthesizing and isolating chemicals etc. Then I get into pharmacology and start making and researching different medicinal and mind altering compounds and the effects they have on humans. From there its straight to the jungle. I can't f***in wait.

I don't know if that helped at all but thats how it went down for me. I have a mission and thats how I got it. I obviously left out loads of details about how my mission and plans evolved because I can't remember them right now.

If you want me to help you come up with a mission I'd be glad to help. If you have any of the same interests I have i.e. mind altering substances, entheogens, psychedelic drugs and basically mind science and exploring inner space and alternate dimensions and crazy sh** like that then I can definitely give you some useful knowledge. If your interested in the ways psychedelic drugs unravel the mysteries of the mind and the universe for that matter and how different drugs can truly benefit the mind and spirit of mankind then your in the same boat as me and I'd be glad to share my knowledge with you.

BTW although what twenties is saying is completely true I don't think thats very encouraging. True not many people your age have a mission but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I think theres a force greater than us that directs us because it was a bizarre set of coincidences that led me to determine my mission. For no apparent reason I just felt driven to decide a goal and mission for my life so I put serious amounts of thought into it but at the same time even though I never mentioned it to anyone at all loads of people around me started encouraging me to decide what to do with my life and the strange thing is it was after I had already decided my mission. They were encouraging me to decide what I wanted to do and encouraging me to go to college and they were all impressed when I saw I knew exactly where I wanted to go.
BGalway

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Life coaching might be what you are looking for--just an idea--good luck

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: