Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> Cipralex This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Cipralex

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
yoghurtraisin

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:44 pm

Cipralex    Reply with quote  

Hi,
I have just started taking cipralex, and I am feeling really good.
Many of my symptoms have gone, including obsessive thoughts and irrational outbursts. I am more relaxed, and I am no longer cold as I used to be. I don't dream as much either.
I just wondered if anyone else had taken cipralex and if they had had good results on it as well?
Thanks
YOG

Donna

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:19 pm

I have been taking cipralex for a short amount of time (less than two weeks) and am finding it to be very effective, i am more focused, not as many mood swings, not emotional and generally help my state of mind, one thing from them though is that they do give me horrible painful headaches quite often

Have you had any side effects to them?
Moonlighting

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:00 pm

Hi, I have just started taking cipralex. I have been having a really tough time of it recently. I am hoping that By taking this I'll be more focused, less emotional and more motivated. I'm really please to have found this forum. I'll keep you all posted on how I get on

Moonlighting xx
Juno
MVP
MVP

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:39 pm

Hi Yog

A friend of mine has had great success with Cipralex. He started taking it about two years ago - had quite bad nausea, headaches and dizzy spells to start, but they wore off after about two weeks.

He kept taking it and felt the positive effects quite quickly. He said he "just didn't have the same extreme lows as before".

In the past 18 months, he's changed his life around - achieved a quite major emotional breakthrough which involved him making contact with a long-lost parent, and has made huge progress in most areas of his life.

He's just starting to taper off the med now, the doctor thinks it's "done its work".

So nice to have a success story to share! If you're feeling good already, there may be very positive things to look forward to - hope so, Yog.

Take care

Juno
briary

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:01 pm

Hi all

I too am taking Cipralex and have been on it for 5 weeks now. I had headaches, dizziness and nausea for the first 2 weeks but these have stopped now.

I haven't noticed any benefit yet but know antidepressants can take a while to kick in.

Briary
weenie

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:08 pm

is cipralex the same as citalopram? i think it is pretty similar. i have been on it 12 days not and have already noticed a dramatic difference. my appetite is back (it was so odd to feel hungry!), my mood has improved so much (although still lower in the morning), i can concentrate on things and actually want to listen to music etc. i feel the best i've felt in ages.
briary

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi Weenie

Yes, Cipralex is an SSRI which is the same type of antidepressant as Citalopram. Cipralex is a newer version.

I am glad you are noticing positive results already.

Briary
yoghurtraisin

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm

well glad to hear that some people have had good experiences...
having said that, I have had terrible nightmares over the past few weeks since I have stopped my CBT treatment - is this linked?
The fear has overwhelmed me in my dreams...I have nightmares of being humilated by people in public...
this is was largely due to bullying at school - I still can;t get this out of my head over 15 down the line...
sometimes I think I just want to beat myself up for no reason.
anyway...I have a new job so at least behaviourally I am doing well ,even if I am overwhelmed with emotions...
but not as much as before cipralex Smile
Lizzymint

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:39 pm

I too was on cipralex - my gp changed it for me from seroxat. I found the cipralex to be very good and enhanced my mood and I felt as though I had my life back.
briary

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:49 pm

Hi Yoghurtraisin

I'm sorry to hear you are being troubled by nightmares. I have this problem too. If you have read the Depression Learning Path you will understand the connection between depression and dreaming.

What time of day do you take the Cipralex? If you take it at night, I have heard of other people on this medication who have said they have had a lot of nightmares or weird dreams.

Briary
weenie

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:10 pm

yeah i have been having some quite weird/vivid dreams recently. but i can deal with them so far. i can remember two from last night really clearly, not exactly nightmares but weird!
Moonlighting

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:18 pm

I have only been taking cipralex for a few days but I haven't noticed any strange dreams or disruption to my sleep. Mind you I do take it at lunchtime. So far the only side effect I have noticed is a slight headache about an hour after taking it. Perhaps I'm just lucky....
heatherine

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:11 pm

cipralex - nightmares    Reply with quote  

I've been taking cipralex for the past 4 weeks - overall, I've found them to have made a huge difference to my life - grant it, I've also cut out all the negatives which may have been adding to my depression such as alcohol, caffeine and refined sugars (as much as possible!). Apart from the initial side effects of nausea and severe headaches, I've started having really vivid nightmares? I take my tablets first thing in the morning - whilst I can probably cope with the nightmares - has anyone experienced likewise - if so, did they find a solution?

Regards, Heather
briary

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:28 pm

Hi Heather

Welcome to the forum. I am glad the medication is helping you. The dreams could be linked to the medication or due to the depression. If you read the Depression Learning Path you will see the link between depression and dreams. It has also been mentioned on this thread.

I have quite regular nightmares and haven't really found anything that prevents them. Trying to reduce the amount of time you spend ruminating can help. Are you receiving any help from a therapist?

Briary
Tim Carr

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:55 am

I used to be on Cipralex; for those few in the know, based on my last post, I was slowly coming off the stuff. When I started taking it, I felt a little sick and tired for a couple of weeks, but that was about it. Generally all is good.

However, I questionned whether it was having any real effect, or whether I just felt better because:
* I was taking something
* I cut out alcohol, caffine etc
* My life was far less stressful, making me far calmer, because Cipralex gave me an "I don't give a f*** attitude towards work".

Therefore, I stopped taking it - just like that. Obviously, I do not recommend anybody do this!. Different things work for different people; but I guess Cipralex was as effective as a placebo.

I felt no side effects coming off it, aside from the occasional tingling sensation in my arm. I remained off alcohol, caffine etc, and generally things have been good. I have noticed that I am far more motivated again, and my attitude towards work has improved again (I used to be someone who took great care in my college / Uni / business work).

I don't feel depressed - although it's early days - but if I should ever feel depressed, I think there are many other alternatives in my case, such as counselling, that will do the trick. But as I said, and emphasise, different things work for different people.

The main effect of coming off Cipralex is that I have not been as calm; but then getting angry / annoyed has always been a trait of mine, which is something I am now working on in other ways, mainly via self-help.

Good luck with the treatment - I think it is the best anti-depressant by far on the market.

Tim.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: