Hypnosis through images and lights

Hypnosis / Self Hypnosis - discuss this most useful, and misunderstood, of therapeutic tools.

Postby Stevo74 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:05 am

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, if it has can someone point me in the direction of the posts, thanks.

Has anyone had any luck hypnotizing using images, pictures and lighting effects..ala Derren Brown's "Zombie" computer game.

What are all your views on this?...how it may work?...which colours effect the brain more rapidly?...is he pre-inducted?..etc

Many thanks

Stevo
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Postby kevsheldrake » Thu May 22, 2008 11:08 am

I believe it was a post-hypnotic suggestion.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby Stevo74 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:39 pm

yes, Derren gives the guy PHS after he has been inducted, but is the guy not inducted due to the subliminal lights/pictures being flashed at him???

If I recall correctly Derren was sitting in a room next door giving instruction to a collegue on when to flash certain messages!
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Postby FrankMurphy » Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 pm

What you saw was Derren sitting next door.Who knows what you didn't see?
FrankMurphy
Preferred Member

Postby Stevo74 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Mis-direction eh? That ol' chesnut again...naughty Derren!
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Postby k2r » Sat May 24, 2008 2:07 pm

you can buy "mind machines" that work by adjusting the mind using flashing lights. usually you have a set of sci-fi inspired sunglasses that have a couple of LED's on the inside, the idea being when you put them on the LED's pulse at a particular rhythm and that along with a synchronised pulsing beat through headphones is supposed to affect the brain waves.

different rhythms are supposed to put the brain into different states i.e. making you more sleepy or making you more active or even making you more responsive to hypnosis/outside influences

one thing you might want to remember is that derren and his team would do an awful lot of research into the "victim" including medical background. last thing you'd want to do is attempt any hypnosis using flashing lights and bring on a seizure
k2r
Preferred Member

Postby Stevo74 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:22 am

Thanks K2r

There is also a youtube video showing inductions using small hand held, pen sized, LED devices ... I think it's a Tom Silver induction.

They look like the red flashing lights off the front of the car from Knight Rider" (showing my age now)

Lee
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Postby kevsheldrake » Mon May 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Flashing lights don't tend to cause hypnosis, but do allow conmen to take money from the gullible.

Please, wise up people.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby FrankMurphy » Mon May 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Amen!! :D
FrankMurphy
Preferred Member

Postby k2r » Mon May 26, 2008 8:52 pm

whether or not they actually cause a hypnotic state, surely they could be of some potential benefit to a hypnotist? after all, a hypnodisk wont work on its on, nor could you hypnotise someone just by swinging a pocket watch.
and lets be honest, we've all been in a trance at some point in our lives looking at the flickering of a fire (and not just the one in the local pub after a few malts)
k2r
Preferred Member

Postby FrankMurphy » Mon May 26, 2008 9:04 pm

It's completely unecessary though, they would bring on trance in exactly the same way any other eye focus method would, which unlike this method, don't cost anything. So these 'conmen' are making money from you by selling people something that they don't need.
FrankMurphy
Preferred Member

Postby k2r » Mon May 26, 2008 9:09 pm

hang on, i'm just looking for my soldering iron and a couple of LEDs, give me an hour and then you can start looking on EBAY, :wink:
k2r
Preferred Member

Postby Thomas Kwon » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 am

k2r wrote:hang on, i'm just looking for my soldering iron and a couple of LEDs, give me an hour and then you can start looking on EBAY, :wink:

can't wait!

while you are at it, can you add some gold decoration to the device?

thanks.
Thomas Kwon

Postby Stevo74 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 am

Quote:

"Flashing lights don't tend to cause hypnosis, but do allow conmen to take money from the gullible.

Please, wise up people.

Kev "

type "Tom Silver Flashing light hypnosis" into youtube and it's there.

So, Kev, are we saying this Tom guy is a fraud???
...and anyone else using hypnodiscs, pendulums to "enhance" their performance.

Also..I thought that convincing a so-called subject that they will be hypnotized was a large part of hypnosis itself.
I think it may be that this guy is using modern day technology instead of the old dated utensils that sometimes makes hypnosis look a little old fashoned.
Some people may be more convinced with these light sticks that hypnosis is a scientific fact instead of pigeon-holing us with dodgy psychics, witches and circus fakes of centuries ago.

Lee
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Postby kevsheldrake » Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Stevo74 wrote:So, Kev, are we saying this Tom guy is a fraud???
...and anyone else using hypnodiscs, pendulums to "enhance" their performance.

No, I'm sure he is a hypnotist, but as Frank wrote, he doesn't need the flashing lights. If anything, it makes him look more like a modern-day witch. Why not just use language and focus instead? The flashing light stick is just a prop; you could use a pen instead, or an ipod or pretty much anything.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP