Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Citalopram and heart palpitations This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Citalopram and heart palpitations

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
suemarieee

Post Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Citalopram and heart palpitations    Reply with quote  

Hello,

I have been on citalopram for 5 weeks now and Ive been aware of my heart beating all the time. On Tuesday night I had a really bad episode where my heart beat really hard all night, it was really frightening and I just didnt know what to do. Even when i slept for a bit i woke up and it was still pounding.

I went to the doctor and she said it could be a side effect of citalopram. Has anyone else had this from citalopram and how long did it take to wear off?
The doctor said i may have to come off them if it continues, but i dont want to cos ive been on them before and they helped me so much!

If anyone else had this please let me know what u did

Ulster

Post Fri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

hi sue mariee,

have a word with your doc and see if he will put you on beta blockers...i'm currently both on citalopram and propronalol noiw for about 4 months...the citalopram takes the edge off off the panic/ anxiety and the beta blockers stop the heart racing...it's working a treat for me just now with virtually no side effects now i have settled into it...
suemarieee

Post Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 pm

thanks for your advice, i went to the doc today actually and she said to wait and see if it continues. Im hoping itll go away when my body gets more used to the citalopram, but ive been taking it for 5 weeks now, thought id be used to it by now!

did u get palpatations from citalopram?
kesh

Post Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm

got them a bit from fluoxetine.

i'd wait and see if it passes, lots of side effects go in time. if not don't worry as there a plenty of other anti depressants to work with.

in the mean time you could try some standard things to stop palpitations, like giving up caffeine/tobacco, aerobic exercise
linz1985

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 am

I have just started Citalopram and have notice the exact same thing my heart just constantly beats so hard into my chest, and also can constantly feel the pulses in head and neck. I havent been to my doctor but will do if it carries on as this is making me anxious then i was to start wirth. Arwe u still getting yours?
suemarieee

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 am

Hiya    Reply with quote  

I havent really been getting them so bad, although funnily enough today i have noticed it a bit. But they def seem to be getting better i think. Im not sure whether its the citalopram or my anxiety.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: