Citalopram and heart palpitations

Postby suemarieee » Fri May 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Hello,

I have been on citalopram for 5 weeks now and Ive been aware of my heart beating all the time. On Tuesday night I had a really bad episode where my heart beat really hard all night, it was really frightening and I just didnt know what to do. Even when i slept for a bit i woke up and it was still pounding.

I went to the doctor and she said it could be a side effect of citalopram. Has anyone else had this from citalopram and how long did it take to wear off?
The doctor said i may have to come off them if it continues, but i dont want to cos ive been on them before and they helped me so much!

If anyone else had this please let me know what u did
suemarieee

Likes Received: 0

Postby Ulster » Fri May 30, 2008 3:22 pm

hi sue mariee,

have a word with your doc and see if he will put you on beta blockers...i'm currently both on citalopram and propronalol noiw for about 4 months...the citalopram takes the edge off off the panic/ anxiety and the beta blockers stop the heart racing...it's working a treat for me just now with virtually no side effects now i have settled into it...
Ulster

Postby suemarieee » Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 pm

thanks for your advice, i went to the doc today actually and she said to wait and see if it continues. Im hoping itll go away when my body gets more used to the citalopram, but ive been taking it for 5 weeks now, thought id be used to it by now!

did u get palpatations from citalopram?
suemarieee

Postby kesh » Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm

got them a bit from fluoxetine.

i'd wait and see if it passes, lots of side effects go in time. if not don't worry as there a plenty of other anti depressants to work with.

in the mean time you could try some standard things to stop palpitations, like giving up caffeine/tobacco, aerobic exercise
kesh

Postby linz1985 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 am

I have just started Citalopram and have notice the exact same thing my heart just constantly beats so hard into my chest, and also can constantly feel the pulses in head and neck. I havent been to my doctor but will do if it carries on as this is making me anxious then i was to start wirth. Arwe u still getting yours?
linz1985

Postby suemarieee » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 am

I havent really been getting them so bad, although funnily enough today i have noticed it a bit. But they def seem to be getting better i think. Im not sure whether its the citalopram or my anxiety.
suemarieee