ZigZag Lights

Postby katie2157 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi everyone, has anyone ever experienced flashing zigzag lines/lights in their vision before? It usually starts off small and then gets bigger untill it is completely out of my vision and last around 30minutes. When I describe it, people say it could be the start of a migraine, but I never get any form of headache when this happens and in fact have never had a migraine at all before. I mentioned it to my doctor before and she told me it was nothing to worry about but probably worth getting my eye checked because it could be related to eye pressure, however when I had an eye check I was told it was more likely to be related to blood pressure as it is something which is triggered by the optic nerve (although my blood pressure is fine). I dont know what is triggering them but I just find it abit upsetting as I dont know why i get it!! I had it today for the first time in about 3 months - Just wondered if anyone can relate and give me some help?!! :(
katie2157

Postby paulo111 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:47 pm

katie2157 wrote:Hi everyone, has anyone ever experienced flashing zigzag lines/lights in their vision before? It usually starts off small and then gets bigger untill it is completely out of my vision and last around 30minutes. When I describe it, people say it could be the start of a migraine, but I never get any form of headache when this happens and in fact have never had a migraine at all before. I mentioned it to my doctor before and she told me it was nothing to worry about but probably worth getting my eye checked because it could be related to eye pressure, however when I had an eye check I was told it was more likely to be related to blood pressure as it is something which is triggered by the optic nerve (although my blood pressure is fine). I dont know what is triggering them but I just find it abit upsetting as I dont know why i get it!! I had it today for the first time in about 3 months - Just wondered if anyone can relate and give me some help?!! :(

Not exactly but I once got like 5 small black dots appear to crawl across my right eye, that was the weirdest thing ever! I also get migraines but fortunately have'nt had one in a while :)
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Postby Lauro » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello katie2157,
I had a similar thing going on when I was in elementary school. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you described. I didn't see any flashy lines or lights. In my case it was more like a noisy mosaic effect that would cover the right part of my vision. It would behave very similar to what you say, it starts like a small thing and then expands until it disappears out of the vision and lasts for around 30 minutes. I had this mostly after gym classes. I sometimes had some headaches along with it. In time this thing became a bit annoying because after gym classes we had other classes where I was unable to read well because of it.

I guess this is one of the symptomes that acompany anxiety and there is not much to do about it until you deal with the anxiety itself.

Best regards,
Matej
Lauro

Postby JRG » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Katie
I think this may be a type of migraine - the lights and zig zags that are associated with migraines are called "aura" and you can have the aura without the migraine headache - I suffer the same !!

Hope this helps
Jackie x
JRG

Postby katie2157 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am

Hi thanks for all your replies, really appreciate them! Again this seemed to be like one of those things I thought I just had and was beginning to eat away at me!! Perhaps it is a type of migrain? JRG if you dont mind me asking, how often do you suffer with them? And do you get the headache along with it aswell? I just feel abit anxious about it happening again soon, because the thought of it being a type of migrain and it happening frequently (although yesterday was the first time id had one in3 months ot so) sort of worries me!
Kate
katie2157

Postby JRG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 am

Katie - I used to suffer with migraine years ago and only recently started to get the zig zag lights, I dont get the headache now just the "aura". Doesnt happed that much probably have had it a couple of times in the last few months.

Jackie x
JRG

Postby Rachel1010 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Katie

It happened to me once about two years ago. It was a really hot day and I had been mowing the lawns in the heat. Later that evening I had the 'zigzag' flashing lights and patchy vision but no headache. It lasted about 20 minutes then just stopped. It scared the life out of me, I thought 'oh my god I've got a brain tumour' and it triggered a panic attack.

I saw a doctor the next day and he got a piece of paper and drew a picture of zigzag lines in a semi-circle and asked me if this was the shape of the flashing lights I had seen. He went on to describe the loss of vision in patches etc and told me that he himself has experienced the same thing in the past and that it is a type of migraine.
He said that mine was probably brought on from being outside in the hot sunshine. I was amazed that it was a migraine because I'd never had one before and a couple of people I know who get migraines usually have crippling headaches, vomiting and sensitivity to light.

Thankfully I haven't had it since but if it were to ever happen again I will know it's just a migraine and hopefully I won't go flying into a state of panic.
Rachel1010

Postby jurplesman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 am

They are probably "floaters". They usually start as a little light and then spread out until it disappears to the side after a while.

See:
Google Search
jurplesman

Postby katie2157 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks, although im trying to avoid Googleing! Im feeling abit better about them now, although I will probs panic if I have it again any time soon - my anxieties about my health are terrible, especially when they are head related!! :? What Rachel describes is exactly what I had, the zigzag flashing lights in a semi circle shape that get bigger etc

Im kicking myself for doing this, but I found this on Google: I think it might have been an ocular migraine.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/condition ... graine.htm
katie2157

Postby pbodyb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 am

:roll:
Katie, I had one of those zig zag light shows in my eye today. I've had them for the last five years. Every eye doctor I have seen passed them off as optical migrains. Mine last exactly 20 minutes. Without any pain.
I have implants in both of my eyes for the last two years but I still get them. Usually when I'm in bright sunlight. I live in the Arizona desert so, I have bright sunlight half the day.
A good pair of sunglasses are my best outside friends.
pbodyb

Postby katie2157 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Hey,
I Had the zigzag lights in my vision again yesterday. They came on out of the blue and lasted for about 20-30minutes and then went. 10 minutes or so later it came back again! And again lasted about 20 minutes or so. No pain, (apart from tension round my face) just very disturbing due to the fact I cant see to well when it happens. After that they didnt come back...naturally though it sent my anxiety up again. I hate the thought of having some kind of 'migraine' - especially as its to do with the chemical activity in your brain isnt it? arghhhh! Yesterday was the first time in about 2months since my last episode. :cry:
katie2157

Postby baxter1978 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 pm

My Mom gets these a couple times a year. Actually our whole family gets this and its has to do with Migraines
baxter1978

Postby suzibaby » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I also suffer from this quite alot. I have done for years. Sometimes I can get the zigzag vision with out getting the migraine. I have recently received a information sheet from my GP which states that people can just have the "aura" and never have a headache to follow. Hope this helps.

Sue
suzibaby

Postby Jodie77 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 pm

I was diagnosed with migraine aura without headache. They started at age 30 out of the blue. It was this bright light in the center of my vision that turned into a zigzag flashing light and then moved across my field of vision and lasted for 30 minutes. I get an attack about once every two months. They are super scary...I always feel like I'm having a stroke or going blind. Doctor said ocular migraine or migraine aura without headache. Either way they are not dangerous as long as you rule out vision problems and stroke. I had a CT scan of head (came back normal) and dilated eye exam (normal). They are still scary as hell though.
Jodie77

Postby lavera » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:43 pm

aura migraine,eating sugar free sweets and drinks cause this and also dehydration,

Its very scary and can cause panic attack,but if you try to relax it goes away without pain.
lavera

Next