Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Nervous when waking up This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Nervous when waking up

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Rachel1010

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Nervous when waking up    Reply with quote  

Does anyone else feel really nervous as soon as you wake up in the morning?
I wake up every morning and my stomach is in knots and my head feels all over the place, sometimes it goes away after a few minutes and other times it lasts for hours.
It happens even if I have no reason to be nervous. It just seems to happen instantly, from the second I wake up.

Luckygirl54

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Rachel,

I wake up many a morning with high anxiety levels, usually very early.

As I usually feel really sick as well I lay on my back, try to take long slow breaths and say over and over in my mind in time with my breathing 'sleep'.

Quite often this helps and I can get back to sleep. If it doesn't then I just have to bear it and usually end up throwing up and feel tired and awful most of the day.

The key thing I think is to try not to get too anxious about it as then it just get worse and worse. Easier said than done though.

Hope this helps
Rockbessie
Preferred Member

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi

This is a classic anxiety symptom for me - I am terrible in the mornings and am very nauseaous - just retch when I get up. I think it is because the adrenaline hits the stomach first thing and there is nothing in there to mop it up - try eating something like wholemeal toast before bed to see if that helps any. I really feel for you as I know exactly how horrible it is.
Tracy B

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 am

Rachel:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. When I was really in the throws of my panics and anxiety, the mornings were the worst for me. Normally, if left to my own will, I would sleep until 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning (if I didn't have to get kids off to school), but in the midst of my anxiety, I would wake up at 6:00 or 6:30 . . . wide awake. . . knots in my stomach and already terribly nervous and not able to get back to sleep for anything. Sleep is such a nice escape when dealing with panic, but it seems as though your body has something else in mind and the adrenaline kicks in and wakes you up . . . so you can start worrying all over again!!! Mad

Are you taking anything for your anxiety? Just curious. That's when I made the decision to go see someone. When it starts really interrupting your life . . . it's time.

Hang in there . . .
Tracy Smile
Rachel1010

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Hiya

Thanks for your replies.

I take mirtazapine 30mg tablets. I was on citalopram for a long time and eventually they seemed to stop working so the doctor switched me over to mirtazapine. Since I've been on them I sleep pretty well at night thankfully but I still wake up in the morning feeling like a bag of nerves.

It helps to know I'm not alone though, thanks Smile

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: