Nervous when waking up

Postby Rachel1010 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Does anyone else feel really nervous as soon as you wake up in the morning?
I wake up every morning and my stomach is in knots and my head feels all over the place, sometimes it goes away after a few minutes and other times it lasts for hours.
It happens even if I have no reason to be nervous. It just seems to happen instantly, from the second I wake up.
Likes Received: 0

Postby Luckygirl54 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Rachel,

I wake up many a morning with high anxiety levels, usually very early.

As I usually feel really sick as well I lay on my back, try to take long slow breaths and say over and over in my mind in time with my breathing 'sleep'.

Quite often this helps and I can get back to sleep. If it doesn't then I just have to bear it and usually end up throwing up and feel tired and awful most of the day.

The key thing I think is to try not to get too anxious about it as then it just get worse and worse. Easier said than done though.

Hope this helps

Postby Rockbessie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

This is a classic anxiety symptom for me - I am terrible in the mornings and am very nauseaous - just retch when I get up. I think it is because the adrenaline hits the stomach first thing and there is nothing in there to mop it up - try eating something like wholemeal toast before bed to see if that helps any. I really feel for you as I know exactly how horrible it is.
Preferred Member

Postby Tracy B » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 am

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. When I was really in the throws of my panics and anxiety, the mornings were the worst for me. Normally, if left to my own will, I would sleep until 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning (if I didn't have to get kids off to school), but in the midst of my anxiety, I would wake up at 6:00 or 6:30 . . . wide awake. . . knots in my stomach and already terribly nervous and not able to get back to sleep for anything. Sleep is such a nice escape when dealing with panic, but it seems as though your body has something else in mind and the adrenaline kicks in and wakes you up . . . so you can start worrying all over again!!! :x

Are you taking anything for your anxiety? Just curious. That's when I made the decision to go see someone. When it starts really interrupting your life . . . it's time.

Hang in there . . .
Tracy :)
Tracy B

Postby Rachel1010 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I take mirtazapine 30mg tablets. I was on citalopram for a long time and eventually they seemed to stop working so the doctor switched me over to mirtazapine. Since I've been on them I sleep pretty well at night thankfully but I still wake up in the morning feeling like a bag of nerves.

It helps to know I'm not alone though, thanks :)