Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> citalopram, stress, anger, OCD,depression all in one This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

citalopram, stress, anger, OCD,depression all in one

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
nick.workman

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:50 am

citalopram, stress, anger, OCD,depression all in one    Reply with quote  

Hi there all
I am new to this forum, having been prescribed yesterday, citalopram 20mg once a day.
I have been having problems of anger, stress, depression, and unhappiness all my life, since I can remember at about 14, I'm 41 now.
I have lived with this all this time, ignoring it to a degree, thinking it was just my personality.
But now, I have finaly recognized a serious pattern, which happens to me time and time again. not so much recognized now, but confronted.
I am very aware I need help and am not frightened to admit it, I do recognize I need help and thats the first step, admitting you need some help.
I dont know where to start really to describe it, as this post will be miles long, but to start off, I get stressed, very angry at those closest to me in the blink of an eye (in the past I've ended relationships because of this because they didnt deserve this).
I went to see a doctor in 1992, who referred me to someone at the hospital(psychologist, I assume), who told me to get out more, and I wouldnt need him again.
Well here we are in 2008, and I'm still feeling the same 16 years later, so I can safely self diagnose this has not gone away, so last year, I went to the doctor about it, who finaly began to listen to me, I went in there really crying and upset, and she actually took me seriously this time.
She referred me to John, a Cognitive Behavior Therapist, well the first 3 or 4 sessions had my head spinning, I didnt have a clue what he was talking about, I just came out more confused than when I went in and didnt go back. After about 6 months I rang him as life was getting bad again, I was just honest and told him, I didnt have a clue what this was about, So he agreed to see Justine, my partner and explain it to her, and she was able to describe some of my symptoms to him.
I agreed to go back to him, but again, I'm still in the mindset of coming out baffled. So I went to the doc yesterday and she described me citalopram, So I am hoping it will lift me a bit.
I too have found myself thinking negative thoughts constantly, even to the point of looking for negative things around the house, i.e. step daughter leaving dirty plates for mum to clear up, messy bathroom etc, I find myself looking to see if these things are here. I cannot avoid doing this, its like a compulsion, like, I must check.
At work everything is fine, I am a different person. I'm not some unemployed bum(not that all unemployed are bums), I am an aircraft engineer, and build helicoptors and work away from home, so the stress doesnt follow me there as I have a focus.
I am sad 90% of my time at home, feel guilty about joking about.
I also get anxiety, guilt, anger, isolation, hopelessness, loss of interest in activities, loneliness, self-loathing, indifference, depersonalization, irritability, and lack of motivation
There is much much more to it than just this, and I will describe in more detail as the thread progresses, thats if anyone wants to listen/talk to me about it.
I've probably bored you all already, teehee!
So I am bout to go and take my second tablet now, please reply to me if you feel you have any relevent experiences, or anything useful to share.
Best Wishes
Nick

*Nihilistic One*

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:44 am

Hello.

If you are OK with the drug therapy then give it no less than 6 weeks. Well, that is the general rule of thumb to use for a 'fair trial'.

It can do literally nothing for a month (save side effects) only to 'kick in' very suddenly.

With mood disorders all of these things you describe are common (especially in chronic cases where the depression in the acute is 'moderate')
nick.workman

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 am

to be honest, I am at the end of my tether with how I feel each day, because year after year its getting worse and not better, so feel have nothing to lose by the drugs, I dont want to be taking drugs really, but if they will help, then I'll try them, just so I can lead a "normal" life.
There are times when I am ok, but I am very unpredictable, even to myself, when I can snap in a nanosecond.
I dont like my family seeing this, and I am doing this for them as well as myself, as we all deserve a happy life, most of all me!
Dont get me wrong, We dont stay in and do nothing, we go places and have fun, but I'm sure I could have a darn sight more fun, if my mood was elevated that little bit more.
But thanks for your input, much appreciated, I did have a reasonable day yesterday after the first tablet, but I'm sure it was a placebo effect in my subconscious, although, I did have a quick wobbly about 8pm ish. but it was forgotton very quickly, because normally if something upsets me its can go on for days, sometimes weeks to get over it.
Nick
julespretty

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:15 am

hello!    Reply with quote  

hi! how are you?
I'm new here also, I just want to share to you my experience with my ex b/f who has OCD and depression. We have been together for 2 yrs. before, I have love him so much that I dont even consider his OCD to be a problem... But my relationship with him never worked out, he actually became unfaithful to me... That time I think he recovers from OCD. His medication help him I guess... Then, 10 yrs has passed we met again accidentally and I was shocked to know that now he is suffering again from OCD, and he told me that he's now experiencing midlife crisis, he's 41 now, and still single. He told me that I'm the only person that understands his situation before and he wants me back... I'm now confuse, I dont know if he's just like this to me because he's alone now... Anyway, that doesn't matter. What matters now is his situation, I never thought that OCD can really re-occour. I dont know what do to with him now, he's depression scares me. He's on medication now for almost 6 months again, too bad I can't see any improvement... I just pray that this will end though... It hurts me a lot everytime he cries, It hurts me more to see his suffering.
nick.workman

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 am

Jules
I understand where you are coming from, My partner Justine is in the same situation as you are with me.
I will try to persuade her to come on here and send you her thoughts,
I'm not convinced that OCD goes away, Maybe I think it just gets easier.
Hope this helps, and if you have anything more to tell, please don't hesitate.
Nick
mella

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:53 pm

I just came across this post and had a thought. I could be wrong, probably am but have you concidered adult ADHD.. ( attention deficit hyperactivity disorder )
kelliekiddo

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi Nick,

I am 26 and used Citalopram about 2 years ago, although it wasn't for me. I have very similiar symptoms to you, like getting annoyed over my partners family matters and losing my temper very quickly at times. I usually know when I wake up in the morning how my day is going to pan out, although a small thing happening during the day can flip me. Remedies: my best idea that I could pass on, is when you feel the tension rising, you can't stop the expression on your face, even if you stop the words. So, turn away - walk out of the room - say you need the loo. Also, recore a CD filled with 'happy' music, songs that lift your spirits, or have a DVD in your bedroom that makes you wee laughing without fail. This should be your medication. Also, if you do have an outburst at a family member, never expect them to understand, they won't. Always apologise. If you can't say sorry, make sure they know you are sorry xx

Hope my ramblings help

xx
crd3000

Post Sun May 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Nick,

I have almost identical symptoms to you.

The Anger just builds up and then I flip and I go on and on until it gets uncontrollable but all the time I am aware I am doing it and that I shouldn't be, but that I am unable to stop. Feel terribly guilty afterwards.

Causes massive problems in my relationship.

I am on Citalopram (20mg per day at present - reduced from 30mg because I thought it was causing anger problems, which seemed to subside for a while but have now reared their ugly head again - maybe getting used to the 20mg).

Anyway, have made another appt at Docs tomorrow, want to see what can be done. have in the past seen Psychologists etc etc.

Also have other symptoms such as mood swings, lethargy, anxiety, OCD, low self esteem, panic at the thought of losing people, unhelpful thoughts etc etc.

My heart goes out to anyone who suffers from this as I have for many years and I know it pushes people away which is the very thing I fear (possibly stemming from losing my Dad at 3 yrs old).

I just want to be normal. Crying or Very sad

Hugs,

CD

PS Thanks for the suggestions kelliekiddo, will try them.
dec123

Post Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: citalopram, stress, anger, OCD,depression all in one    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by nick.workman
Hi there all
I am new to this forum, having been prescribed yesterday, citalopram 20mg once a day.
I have been having problems of anger, stress, depression, and unhappiness all my life, since I can remember at about 14, I'm 41 now.
I have lived with this all this time, ignoring it to a degree, thinking it was just my personality.
But now, I have finaly recognized a serious pattern, which happens to me time and time again. not so much recognized now, but confronted.
I am very aware I need help and am not frightened to admit it, I do recognize I need help and thats the first step, admitting you need some help.
I dont know where to start really to describe it, as this post will be miles long, but to start off, I get stressed, very angry at those closest to me in the blink of an eye (in the past I've ended relationships because of this because they didnt deserve this).
I went to see a doctor in 1992, who referred me to someone at the hospital(psychologist, I assume), who told me to get out more, and I wouldnt need him again.
Well here we are in 2008, and I'm still feeling the same 16 years later, so I can safely self diagnose this has not gone away, so last year, I went to the doctor about it, who finaly began to listen to me, I went in there really crying and upset, and she actually took me seriously this time.
She referred me to John, a Cognitive Behavior Therapist, well the first 3 or 4 sessions had my head spinning, I didnt have a clue what he was talking about, I just came out more confused than when I went in and didnt go back. After about 6 months I rang him as life was getting bad again, I was just honest and told him, I didnt have a clue what this was about, So he agreed to see Justine, my partner and explain it to her, and she was able to describe some of my symptoms to him.
I agreed to go back to him, but again, I'm still in the mindset of coming out baffled. So I went to the doc yesterday and she described me citalopram, So I am hoping it will lift me a bit.
I too have found myself thinking negative thoughts constantly, even to the point of looking for negative things around the house, i.e. step daughter leaving dirty plates for mum to clear up, messy bathroom etc, I find myself looking to see if these things are here. I cannot avoid doing this, its like a compulsion, like, I must check.
At work everything is fine, I am a different person. I'm not some unemployed bum(not that all unemployed are bums), I am an aircraft engineer, and build helicoptors and work away from home, so the stress doesnt follow me there as I have a focus.
I am sad 90% of my time at home, feel guilty about joking about.
I also get anxiety, guilt, anger, isolation, hopelessness, loss of interest in activities, loneliness, self-loathing, indifference, depersonalization, irritability, and lack of motivation
There is much much more to it than just this, and I will describe in more detail as the thread progresses, thats if anyone wants to listen/talk to me about it.
I've probably bored you all already, teehee!
So I am bout to go and take my second tablet now, please reply to me if you feel you have any relevent experiences, or anything useful to share.
Best Wishes
Nick

hi, i'm depressed and on 20mg citalopram a day.

i also have horrible problems such as hatred, in fact i have so much hatred in me and i dont know what to do
akayani

Post Fri May 22, 2009 5:08 am

Citalopram    Reply with quote  

I tired a few of these.

Paroxetine - Makes you stink and prone to put up with then explode
Venlafaxine - Flatting
And Citalopram

Citalopram was by far the most gentle. (For me)

I found changing dosages of any of these drugs caused diarrhea.

These are good drugs but if you don't feel they work for you don't take them. If they do work for you don't stop in a hurry.

The fact that someone is taking an SSRI usually means they need to make life changes, so be careful and slow down. Be careful to avoid the 'I must change everything tomorrow syndrome'.

Yani

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: