Head Shaking Anxiety

Postby worry girl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:42 pm

If anyone knows what this could be please let me know. I have a debilitating fear of my head shaking whenever i am in situations that I dont feel comfortable in. This started about 10 years ago and my doctor prescribed me Lorezapam. I am currently still taking Lorezapam because it is the only thing that works to stop my head from shaking (or alcohol). At first it was just when I would eat dinner with people, but now it has gotten so bad that it is even hard for me to take the bus, buy things at a store (for fear when they give me my change back my head will shake), sit in my class at University, etc. Any type of social interaction scares me and I cant go on living this way. I want a normal life and to enjoy life and I cant do this with this constant fear. I know in my mind that people arent staring at me waiting for my head to shake, but I still can't face situations. I dont want to be taking pills for the rest of my life and I wish I could just be strong and not care what people think. The head shaking is just a quick back and forth motion that almost looks like I am shivering.

Is this anxiety, or could it be something more? None of my friends or family has ever seen it happen, but thats because I am good at hiding it. I am also on effexor, but it doesnt seem to be working, and also currently seeing a counsellor (which also doesnt seem to be working). I just want my life back and get rid of this irrational fear. If anyone knows of any information that could help me, please let me know.
worry girl

Postby satanstoystore » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:13 am

worry girl wrote:I know in my mind that people arent staring at me waiting for my head to shake

Well, let's suppose its true for a moment. why would people wait for you to shake? What do you feel would happen if they saw that?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby worry girl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:41 am

I know people are not waiting for it to happen. But I feel that if they did see it they would think I am weird or strange.
worry girl

Postby satanstoystore » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:49 am

Ok. So you feel they might think you're weird or strange. What would you have to feel about yourself for you to believe people might think you're weird or strange?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby Burntout » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:35 pm

I open up the possibility that you might be experiencing social anxiety. Has your counsellor suggested what you might be experiencing.
Burntout

Postby Frustration! » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 am

Worry Girl.

When I used to go out I felt so tense that I woud lose control of my head. It's like my neck muscles would spasm and I could'nt control my head and keep it still.

The thought of people seeing me like this made it even worse.

The last thing you want is your head to start going berzerk as it is embarrassing.

Then you put more pressure on yourself to try and control it and it get's worse.
Frustration!

Postby satanstoystore » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 am

Let me start over. I'm here to practice because I literally run out of people to practice on offline.

If you would like to finish the process that has worked on other people, answer below. I will hang out for a bit. Otherwise I will be leaving after a few posts.

satanstoystore wrote:Ok. So you feel they might think you're weird or strange. What would you have to feel about yourself for you to believe people might think you're weird or strange?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby worry girl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:47 pm

well, I guess I dont feel very good about myself. But its hard to change that. As many times as I tell myself that I am a good, worthy of people's respect person, it doesnt seem to help.
worry girl

Postby worry girl » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Frustration! wrote:Worry Girl.

When I used to go out I felt so tense that I woud lose control of my head. It's like my neck muscles would spasm and I could'nt control my head and keep it still.

The thought of people seeing me like this made it even worse.

The last thing you want is your head to start going berzerk as it is embarrassing.

Then you put more pressure on yourself to try and control it and it get's worse.

You said you "used to". How did it stop?
worry girl

Postby chippy! » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:57 pm

i had this problem as well before. it happened in school when i was getting shouted at. (at the time i was very self concious for a few months) i was just sitting there and my head started shaking, just little movements but quite fast. the more i tensed my head the worse it got, it was so awrkward as well becasue he told me to make eye contact with him which was the longest 5mins of my life!. also i used to walk really stiff and uncomfortable in front of people. if i had to walk across the classroom i couldnt walk properly because i knew people were watching me. i wanted to run and get a book off a shelf then run back to my seat but i knew it would look stupid so i had to force myself to walk slowly and casually, which is solid to do when you conentrate on it.
ive got over almost all my anxiety problems now, and there's one thing that cure's the lot and that is 'not caring!'
one day i just thought, what the hell, im going to do what ever i want to do in anyway i want to. i now feel more relaxed and i rarely get self concious.
chippy!

Postby Teacher333 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:35 am

Head shaking: That has happened to me as well. The 1st time it did, it freaked me out. It was related entirely to anxiety and panic. Trust me, you are sane and not going crazy. I have been on Prozac, then Paxil, and now Cymbalta. each one worked but lost its effectiveness over time. Regardless of which one I was/am taking, the head shaking stopped. Your fear of it occurring is no different that any other fear of an anxiety avoidance behavior. By the way, I was in therapy for 5 years until I made am amazing breakthrough. I am about 99.5% of who I used to be. That's good enough for me. Change medications and doctor if need be. Also, if you had a bad heart, you would take meds for life and never consider it an issue. This is a chemical imbalance. Anxiety is a true physically caused illness. You are not at fault. Your mind is healthy.
Teacher333