How to strengthen PARASYMPATHETIC nervous system?

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby help_me_please » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:57 pm

How do you strengthen the parasympathetic nervous system and also how do you desensitize the sympathetic nervous system?

Do SSRI's help with this? Pills, herbs, potions, lotions, surgeries, massages?
Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-b-
help_me_please

Postby satanstoystore » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 am

Why would you want to do that?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:20 am

because the panic attacks are being caused by the over active sympathetic system which turns on and controls the flight or flight response mechanism and the parasympathetic system is what turns it off and calms you down.

my sympathetic system is on overdrive and my parasympathetic system is like broken or out of service or weakened or something. i need to bring it back to life and strengthen it so I dont have to go thru these constant panic attacks or at least handle them better.
help_me_please

Postby satanstoystore » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:32 am

Generally a doctor would prescribe meds to boost or repress. Though that's not always needed. Depends on what you use while you're on meds and or who you see.

What's the anxiety about?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:02 am

i have no fears, phobias, or anything on my mind, i have just become ULTRA sensitive to any kind of excitement, nervousness, natural anxiety , etc.. after a bad episode with some marijuana, please read my thread thats like located just under this one on the main page you'll see it.

I am not pushing myself into a panic or anxiety attack, there are no trigger events or anything like that. This has nothing to do with a psychological issue. There is an imbalance in me somewhere that I need to correct. My flight or flight response system/sympathetic nervous system is on super overdrive and is not shutting off and is acting up at the wrong times on a daily basis. Whether im alone at home enjoying a movie or lying down or if im out in a mall or with my "gf" it can (panic/anxiety attack) happen at anytime without warning. Sometimes even being startled from a phone call can set me off. Im totally "F-ed up man" :(

What are these meds that can help me with boosting / balancing the nervous system? I would really like to know. I need a more permanent solution and not just things to cover up the symptoms like ssri's or benzos.

Thanks for your input.
help_me_please

Postby Mick75 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:28 am

The parasympathetic nervous system will revert to dominance in time so long as you dont keep charging up the sympathetic system. What are you doing to charge up your system? You are living in anticipation and fear of your anxiety attacks.

Learn to either ignore them or enjoy them. Completely lose the desire to get rid of them, and slowly and surely they will leave you.
Mick75

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:31 am

the only thing im doing is taking benzos at LOW doses when i get a really bad attack, i dont know if this is making matters worse or not. I dont know if i should stop the benzos but they are the ONLY thing that help me when i feel like im about to suffocate to death.

Is it possible, or are there any cases where the parasympathetic nervous system has become damaged to the point where surgery or some kind of serious intervention or therapy is required to re-start it again?

thanks for your response !
help_me_please

Postby Mick75 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:36 am

Nope, no permanent physical or mental damage can result from this. You just need to 'know' in the deepest level of your being that these attacks cannot in any way cause you harm, and not be afraid of them.

If you can remove from yourself any desire to make them stop, you are cured.

One thing, you CANNOT suffocate yourself to death unless you stick a foreign object in your airway. The worst that can happen is you may faint. Next time it happens, just try sitting down and tell the suffocation to 'bring it on, give me all you can'. Once you stop fearing the symptoms, you stop charging the sympathetic systm.
Last edited by Mick75 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick75

Postby satanstoystore » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:39 am

help_me_please wrote:... i have just become ULTRA sensitive to any kind of excitement, nervousness, natural anxiety , etc.. after a bad episode with some marijuana..even being startled from a phone call can set me off...

Mmhmm. This sounds familiar. Some people take a drug, begin to have a bad experience, and attach negative feelings to other pills and such. Other people attach negative feelings to things like breathing. Or falling asleep. This isn't a malfunction. Its just the brain doing what it always does. Just with something negative. The positive times aren't even noteworthy. So basically you have attached anxiety and panic to elevated stress.

With your bad episode of marijuana did you feel you were going to die?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:40 am

since the severity is so strong and the symptoms so uncomfortable, scary and painful, the desire to make them stop or go away will always be there. Its like there is a cobra that has its fangs sunk into my arm and you are asking me to simply ignore it and i will be cured. thats how it is to me,. if these attacks werent so severe, it would be much easier for me to ignore, but these things are severe and are no joke- hard to ignore- possibly impossible.
help_me_please

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:44 am

Yes i felt like i was going to die because of a few reasons
1) i thought the weed was laced with poison because it smelled like hard chemicals, it was bought from a new dealer, and the guy told me "dont smoke it while you are driving"
2) it was my first ever panic attack after 10 years of smoking, i didnt know what was going on
3) i was in SUPER hyperventilation mode for almost 18 hours

so all those 3 things combined , of course one would think they are going to die. I really thought i was. I tried smoking a little weed again after 2 weeks (a different batch) and it made me go into a panic attack too, i quit all weed and smokes and booze and even caffeine after that (which was like 5 months ago) yet , on a daily basis, im still having these attacks.

im sick, tired, exhausted and am losing hope and very frustrated! I am basically stuck at home dealing with the symptoms all day - which come and go as they please -without cause or warning. my life is crap now, i wish i never smoked that weed.
help_me_please

Postby satanstoystore » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 am

So, whenever your body changes your amygdala sorts the info to 'I'm going to die!' mode and you panic. The feelings are utterly convincing aren't they? If you have been panicking this much for that long, doesn't that indicate you're actually very durable?
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby Mick75 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am

help_me_please wrote:since the severity is so strong and the symptoms so uncomfortable, scary and painful, the desire to make them stop or go away will always be there. Its like there is a cobra that has its fangs sunk into my arm and you are asking me to simply ignore it and i will be cured. thats how it is to me,. if these attacks werent so severe, it would be much easier for me to ignore, but these things are severe and are no joke- hard to ignore- possibly impossible.

I know exactly how you feel. I almost offed myself because of the feelings, and the lack of any hope of being rid of them. I had them all day long 24/7 without relent for close to a year. But I did learn to like them. Satanstoystore taught me how. Listen to what he has to say.
Mick75

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am

durable yes, but i can only take so much, i mean, i cant work, go to school or do anything in public while im going through this, im stuck at home. I have a life to live and things to do and a career and education to pursue, I cant be stuck at home dealing with these issues for another 6 months. I need a solution fast.

I need to regulate my amygdulla so it stops tripping out so much and sending so many incorrect signals. My cortex needs to stop interpreting everything as a threat. How do I go about correcting these issues?

How and what should i do now? I cant keep popping a benzo everytime i start to have an attack. I need to react appropriately to stress. how do i go about doing so? Everything from my energy levels, to motivation, to stress coping abilities have been affected. Im even starting to become depressed now because of the downgrade of my quality of life.
help_me_please

Postby help_me_please » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:08 am

by the way i just bought that book "hope for your nerves" might as well try it out i have nothing else to lose.
help_me_please

Next