How Much Does Electroshock Therapy Cost?

Postby Prague » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:20 pm

See question. I would consider it, but I'm worried that it is only for the wealthy. Medications have been failing to work for me lately, and I am terrified that electroshock therapy is costly. If so, how much, and what hope do I have outside of strenuous exercise (which is hard enough on its own) and continuous trying of medication--assuming the electroshock therapy is out of the question?

Oh and also I can no longer go to therapy because of the often outrageous price and the lack of helpfulness; most therapists are no good from what I have gleaned thus far.
Prague
Preferred Member

Postby briary » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:44 am

Hi Prague

I'm afraid I cannot answer your question because I'm in the UK and as you mention the cost of your treatments I presume you are outside the UK? Sorry if I've made a wrong presumption.

I also wonder why you feel ECT is the only option left open to you? I agree with you that medication alone is often ineffective for many people, but the right kind of therapy can help.

Have you read the Depression Learning Path which gives some good information about how to tackle depression, assuming that's what you are dealing with.

Some types of therapy are more effective than others, For example, those that focus solely on going over past events with no help to change things in the present can make depression worse. The types of therapy that can help are solution focused and CBT therapies. Have you tried anything like that?

I sympathise that it is difficult if you have to fund treatment yourself. Hypnotherapy can also be effective and although seeing a therapist would be ideal, hypnosis downloads can be very effective.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck and hope is works out for you.

Karen
briary

Postby JanusWaze » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 am

Well back in the early 1920s when EST was relevent it was pretty much free, mandatory in fact.

Here in the 21st century Electroconvulsive therapy is used. Typical sessions cost anywhere between 200-500USD.

Seizures got you by the shorthairs I take it?
JanusWaze
Preferred Member

Postby Prague » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 pm

"Seizures got you by the shorthairs I take it?"

What?

Yes, thanks, JanusWaze. Electroconvulsive therapy is what I was referring to.
Yeah yeah, I used the outmoded term. No need to be snarky about it.
Prague
Preferred Member