Compartmentalising your life

Discussions in depression - new perspectives on depression. Get help if you are suffering, and discuss approaches if you are a therapist.

Postby wibble » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Just realised that i could deal with my problems better if i could learn to compartmentalise my life a bit more so that work problems don't affect my relationship to the same extent and realtionship problems don't affect my work. Does anyone know any techniques to help you to do this?
wibble

Postby Triarius » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:22 am

lol, compartmentalization IS a technique!

However, I have read of people that consider themselves "different people". Like "this event goes into the 'weak me' box, and I don't deal with it, I'm being the 'strong me' right now". If that makes sense.
Triarius

Postby wibble » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 am

is this something that would be covered under CBT?
wibble

Postby Triarius » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 pm

i honestly have no idea. I suppose I do some compartmentalization.

For instance, I have some relationship issues at the moment, and I started thinking about it before an interview (which is a bad idea!) so I stopped myself and said "Not right now!" and i forced myself away from that line of thought. I dealt with it later.

Something that I've heard a lot of soldiers use is the "shoe box" method.

"Take everything you just saw, and put in that box, and put that box away"

If you mentally go through those steps, you can deal with a huge amount of trauma. I imagine it would work for less serious things as well.
Triarius