Sleep deprivation-induced psychosis

Postby JanusWaze » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm

I plan on staying up for a full week straight in order to experience full-blown psychosis first-hand.

I was wondering: What are the risks I should associate with this experiment? I mean besides the obvious danger of self-harm or harming others. What are the chances of developing mental illnesses or doing permanent damage to myself?

Some notes on the experiment: I've got off an entire week of school so I have plenty of time to do this. I will not be using amphetamines or any kind of stimulant other than caffeine. My friends know I'm performing this experiment and will force-feed me Valium if I present a danger.

The experiment started yesterday, I've been up for 36 hours, I'm feeling good - no symptoms other than a strange 'peripheral awareness'
JanusWaze
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 0

Postby Desert fox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:06 pm

:lol: :lol: You must be insane to try it.

I went two weeks without sleeping and eating when I went psychotic all those years ago. Not recommended. You may not come out of the psychotic episode that easily & there could be long term damage. Not worth the risk if you want my oppinion.

If you want to know what it's like just image your worst nightmare you've had in your sleep and understand that you can't wake up from it when it gets really frightening - you are already awake ! :shock:

Nowhere to run - Nowhere to hide. You'll constantly fear the thing happening again should you manage to pull yourself out of it. Stress levels will be incredibly high & your grip on reality is somewhat like taking an ACID trip - hide the knives :wink:
Desert fox
Preferred Member

Postby MadmanMurray » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:35 pm

Not trying to be pessimistic or anything but I don't think you'll make it more than 3 days with just caffeine. Anyhow 50+ hours is enough to get you into some crazy headspaces. I've done it with drugs and it gets bizarre. Your normal logic starts merging with your dream logic and you start thinking like a lunatic. Don't be surprised by hallucinations. They're bound to happen. You start dreaming while your still awake. Its pretty cool but it can scare the sh** outta you too. Once I was convinced that a fly flew into my ear and was walking around inside my skull and I freaked out and I was about to go to the hospital before I came to my senses and realized that a fly couldn't get into my ear with all that wax in there.
MadmanMurray

Postby Desert fox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm

You could be left with a permanent hangover sized headache lasting a number of years. Ever had a look at a burnt out engine and electrical system - that could be your brain. :wink:

I was on invalidity benefit for 2 years - a total write off. My mind didn't work at all - I pretty much fried it completely. Slow going - veeeerrrrrry slooooooow - it's like going through the baby stage - you've got to learn everything all over again.

Get the idea
Desert fox
Preferred Member

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 am

JanusWaze wrote:I plan on staying up for a full week straight in order to experience full-blown psychosis first-hand.

I was wondering: What are the risks I should associate with this experiment? I mean besides the obvious danger of self-harm or harming others. What are the chances of developing mental illnesses or doing permanent damage to myself?

Some notes on the experiment: I've got off an entire week of school so I have plenty of time to do this. I will not be using amphetamines or any kind of stimulant other than caffeine. My friends know I'm performing this experiment and will force-feed me Valium if I present a danger.

The experiment started yesterday, I've been up for 36 hours, I'm feeling good - no symptoms other than a strange 'peripheral awareness'

The experiment has been done.

Search for "Sectrets of Sleep - Sleep Deprivation" on youtube.

You risk long term brain damage.
*Nihilistic One*

Postby spiritual_emergency » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Nihilistic One: Search for "Sectrets of Sleep - Sleep Deprivation" on youtube.

- Secrets of Sleep - Part 1
- Secrets of Sleep - Part 2

That was fascinating.

In particular, I thought it rather revealing that the researchers observed at the point Peter began hallucinating, his hallucinations mimicked the cycle of the 90 minute REM sleep pattern.

As the "experiment/fund-raiser" continued, we could see Peter's sense of self-identity begin to dissolve to the extent he no longer felt he was "Peter" anymore. This corresponds with my own explorations in which psychosis is the equivalent of ego-death or loss of the self-identity. At one point, one of the researchers involved in the experiment noted that Peter, "mistook one of the doctors for an undertaker, who'd come to bury him," thus suggesting that Peter himself also believed he had died. This too is consistent with Carl Jung and John Weir Perry's work.

My own experience of "acute" psychosis spanned a period of approximately six weeks. The most intense stage lasted about ten days. During that period I ate and slept minimally, or not at all. Psychologically, I was "living" in an entirely different state of consciousness -- a state I identified with a "purgatory" or "bardo-like" state wherein I wasn't sure if I was dead or alive.

It's worth noting that following the experiment, Peter did not seem to recover his previous level of functioning. He was later indicted in a bribery scandal, his first marriage fell apart (according to this source he was married four times) and he lost his job as a popular disc jockey. His first wife and closest friends observed, "after the sleep deprivation stunt, he was never quite the same again."

I hope that Janus has since gotten some sleep and is otherwise, well. Thanks for sharing the link, Nihilistic One.

See also:
- Carl Jung: The Inner Apocalypse
- Schizophrenia: waking reality processed through the dreaming brain

spiritual_emergency
Preferred Member

Postby JanusWaze » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:03 pm

I made it 4 days, by the third I was tripping pretty bad, by the fourth I was hallucinating (and watching those videos didn't help, thanks guys).

Those videos were amazing, I was experiencing the same 3-hour crazy, 3-hour sane thing.

Anyway here's some documentation of the experience:

Day 1, missed a night of sleep due to racing/obsessive thoughts - began to worry I had Fatal Familial Insomnia. Got the idea for sleep deprivation experiment and posted it here. Caffeine ingestion: 3 cups of coffee, Two Mountain Dews (Code Red), one red bull.

Day two, Tired and spaced out, I started to have strange peripheral light flashes and illusions - Caffeine ingestion: 5 cups of coffee, two red bulls, two Mountain Dews

EDIT: Obviously I got the timing wrong, I must've only made it 3 days - my recollection of the whole thing has been a little fuzzy.

Day three: Searched all night for microphone in my walls by inserting an ice pick into the drywall, saw maggots (very small) in my food and tasted metal in my coffee - no caffeine, no food, 8 glasses of water.

Day four: Searched entire apartment for surveillance equipment and in a lucid moment remembered what the hell I was doing and went to sleep. Had very vivid dreams (Dreamt I was helping Antonio Banderaz find a lost dog in a very dense field)

I woke up one hour ago, I'm feeling good but I'm still seeing things out of the corner of my eye. Probably going to go back to sleep at 8. All in all, I got what I wanted out of this experiment, it was well worth the effort.
JanusWaze
Preferred Member

Postby spiritual_emergency » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks for the follow-up report JanusWaze. I was concerned for you and I'm relieved to know that you seem to be okay. Hopefully, you won't be having to make use of my blogs but do continue to take good care of yourself.

If, for some reason, you feel you might want to continue to explore such states there are safer methods -- meditation, contemplation, holotropic breathwork, etc.

~ Namaste
spiritual_emergency
Preferred Member

Postby hope4me » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm

My X didn't sleep for 3-4 days and thought I disappeared for 2 hours after being hypnotized by a comedian my company had hired to entertain our group of investors. i took him to this meeting, reluctantly, due to his perpetual state of sleep deprivation, and he went into a psychotic rage. what fueled it even more is his controlling and possessive behavior. during the comedian's performance my x was attempting to heckle him and just made NO sense at all, it was so embarrassing, my colleagues were so pissed off and kept turning around to look at him and me like WTF can't you shut him up. I ended up losing this job of 8 years which was the best job I ever had all due to my X brainwashing me n2 thinking that this insane story was true, he initiated a police investigation with the town in CA where we were staying and everything. His report came back as uncorroborated. I have since left him because he is controlling and abusive and has addictive behaviors. Any comments would be helpful because this guy has totally lost it. I am a person with very low self esteem and he went into a rage on me that night asking me where I was. I was thinking to myself while terrified out of my mind, "Sh--, was I anywhere?" Then realized to myself that No, I wasn't anywhere. It was the worst time in my life.
hope4me

Postby jb_2008 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Longest i've been was 3 days...I was nuts!!! Why on earth would you want to make yourself crazy?
jb_2008
Preferred Member

Postby skiesisthelimit » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:13 pm

if you go from 6 to 10 days without sleep there is a great chance you will go into a comatose when you sleep, aka your entire system will shutdown.
skiesisthelimit

Postby Glitch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 am

I developed psychosis due to lack of sleep. I used to stay up all night chatting/ hanging out with friends while working a 45 hour week. I went through 5 months of psychosis. I'm currently taking anti-psychotics to get my brain functioning properly again. The meds have taken away all previous psychotic symptoms.
Glitch

Return to Psychology