Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Practitioners' Lounge -> Mixing up words! This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Mixing up words!

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Therapy Practitioner Resources

Free Therapy Techniques eBulletin

Online therapy skills training courses

Hypnosis scripts library

'Learn hypnosis in 5 days' free course

Free Depression Learning Path

How to build self-esteem in others (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Cyberwulf

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Mixing up words!    Reply with quote  

I don't know if this affects many other people but for the last couple of years I have to concentrate on what I say to people (anybody) or I'll jumble my words up. It was strange at first and now its just annoying.... You know when you say a word and you mix the start of it with the next word.
For example: 'car park' becomes 'par cark' that kind of thing... Can anyone enlighten me why this is happening? Not when reading stuff... only when saying stuff out loud and unscripted.... it can be very embarrassing.

Madinstinct

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:42 am

dyslexia    Reply with quote  

Dyslexia, man. You just gotta practice taking slowly until you can retrain yourself to not mix things up.
Madinstinct

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:50 am

really i don't know if that will work. But seriously, do you notice a pattern of the types of words you mix up? sometimes people only mix up certain consanant sounds, or only words that are relation of noun-adjective or noun-verb, adjective-direct object. You can learn what the pattern is and begin to retrain yourself. Most easily byjust being aware of what the pattern is.
Ananke

Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:50 pm

I'm the same way Laughing Started in my late thirties and seems to have become more noticeable as I've aged. In my case I am pretty certain it's a combination of my personality and how quickly and chaotically my mind seems to move that causes me difficulties in accessing and successfully employing my verbal skills so others can understand. Don't know how common it is but you are definitely not alone
skillsofcraft101

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:41 pm

I agree with ananke. My mind often is speeding away. Most of my actions are fast, and around half of the time, my speech is as well. I am not a very garrilous person, but when I do talk, my words come flooding out. Like you, I mix up words. It can be bothering, but it isn't too big of a deal. At first, it was humorous, and now it is 'annoying.' Some things, you don't want to mix up. For example, I once mixed up Huck Finn in class, and since I don't swear, that was upsetting.

When something happens, and I share my thoughts with a friend, they often feel as if I think too fast. I will tell them three different thoughts that occurred in about one second. The mind thinks of much more, but it sometimes seems like a lot. Trying to speak slower, and contemplating what you plan to say, can help to prevent mix ups. I still occassionally mix up words as you do, but not as often.
Just call me Doc

Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:05 pm

mixing up my words    Reply with quote  

There are many reasons, other than dislexia, for mixing up your words. One is speaking to quickly before your brain has properly engaged or a lack of concentration while speaking. You are flying away on a lyrical mission but dont really know what your next word is going to be, this also happens when changing your topics of conversation quickly. It may also happen if you speak more than one language. And may also happen due to the fact that you are not being intellectually stimulated enough or speak enough in your general life. The brain needs exercise. SPEAK MORE AND SLOW DOWN/PAUSE MORE OFTEN.
indigo
Preferred Member

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:05 pm

<< The brain needs exercise.>>

Well there is no hope then for a person with dyslexia then. As a person with dyslexia will study , exercise the brain so to speak by applying longer hours with study . Also if you are dyslexia you will need the tools that will help you to achieve this . Like a spellchecker , also a digital voice recorder . And if you are working with computers then whichever tools you need that will help you.
Just call me Doc

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:08 pm

yeah i did say OTHER than dislexia.
cimie

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:38 pm

I do this as well and it seems to have got worse this year and is starting to really upset me as I just feel like a nervous babbling fool in front of people when it happens and think that people including friends think I am stupid and have less respect for me. I try to concentrate when talking but this often manifests itself as me shutting my eyes when talking. I do it a lot when writing now as well, for example instead of 'writing a letter' I will put 'righting a letter'. With the spelling I do wonder whether it is down to depending on spell check and not having to think for yourself, but I do it for words that I know how to spell it just comes out wrong in the moment when I am writing it. I have also wondered whether my mind is just going, which makes me feel even more down as I am not yet in my thirties. I must sound like a bundle of laughs! Just v fed up, especially with feeling stupid.
alomental

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:23 pm

"I try to concentrate when talking but this often manifests itself as me shutting my eyes when talking."

HI! my suggestion would be to do just that, shut your eyes!! lol! I do this a lot myself and it really helps and it's better than what would normally come out if i did'nt!
Don't worry about looking daft, you won't as what you are saying usually is more interesting than where your eyes are currently focused at!
Mike_De_Bruyn

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Hi All,

I noticed this happening to me as I got older. I remember my father, when he was in his 70's had it very bad. He would get so frustrated and angry with himself and when he did that, it only got worse. I could see him go inside for an hour or more and fight to get the word he wanted and then, out of theI blue, shout it out in victory. I vowed never to do this.

My approach is to simply LET IT GO. English is a rich language and there are many words to convey the same idea. Yes, we may want the PERFECT one, but just let that go. I find that when I let it go, it pops into my head more quickly than if I fight to retrieve the word.

Someone said it was dyslexia. I don't believe that is so. Dyslexia is a specific problem of seeing the letters in a word out of order. OTOH, I have always been a bit dyslexic so I have to think that it is somehow related. IOW, what makes a person dyslexic may contribute to this probem as he ages.

Another tactic I used to use to deal with this was to joke about it. (If you have seen the TV show "Boston Legal" the William Shatner charcter tells everyone he has "Mad Cow" because he is afraid he is developing alzheimers. But I have since decided that the approach is self-deprecating and therefore not a good one. Now I simply say: "I can't think of the word I want right now but I mean something like ..." No one has ever thought the worse of me, that I can tell.

My approach to all of these things is to just relax and enjoy it. It may be that your speech is not a facile as it was, but I"m sure that you are compensated by being able to do other things better.
FuzzyFleischer

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Mixing up words!    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Cyberwulf
I don't know if this affects many other people but for the last couple of years I have to concentrate on what I say to people (anybody) or I'll jumble my words up. It was strange at first and now its just annoying.... You know when you say a word and you mix the start of it with the next word.
For example: 'car park' becomes 'par cark' that kind of thing... Can anyone enlighten me why this is happening? Not when reading stuff... only when saying stuff out loud and unscripted.... it can be very embarrassing.

Hi Cyberwulf,
I started doing the same thing many years ago. When typing I will take the first letter off a word and exchange it with the next word. I will push on doors marked pull, when talking I get my mords wixed up, east is west, up is down, left is right and on and on and on. I happen to be able to laugh at myself and everytime I do something like this I get a good laugh out of it. My husband calls me Fuzzy because of it. The only part of it that doesn't make me laugh is when I am trying to say something and all of the words seem to be jumbled in my head and nothing is coming out of my mouth. Now, that ticks me off. My suggestion would be to go with the flow. Learn how to laugh at yourself. You would be amazed at how much fun you will have.

FuzzyFleischer
almostPsyd

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 pm

Its a SPOONERISM    Reply with quote  

What you are reffering to is perfectly normal. It's called a spoonerism, after some guy named spooner, (william archebald spooner). Allegedly, he refered to the queen as "our qeer old deen" instaed of "our deer old queen"

Many ppl expirience various language goof ups, but that does not mean you have an expressive or receptive language disorder. For example, I expirience occasional anomia- loss of words.
kilkellokid

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:31 pm

mixing up words    Reply with quote  

okay now im scared, im not even 20
and im experiencing the mixing up the first couple of letters on words and switching them to different words like
something wrong?
could turn into
wromthing song?
=[ and im all scared cause you guys are saying it started in your late 30's
and when your dad was in his 70's
and im under 20
needlifeback
Preferred Member

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:04 am

Re: Its a SPOONERISM    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by almostPsyd
What you are reffering to is perfectly normal. It's called a spoonerism, after some guy named spooner, (william archebald spooner). Allegedly, he refered to the queen as "our qeer old deen" instaed of "our deer old queen"

Many ppl expirience various language goof ups, but that does not mean you have an expressive or receptive language disorder. For example, I expirience occasional anomia- loss of words.

Finally someone said it right. It's a pity it gets worse with age. After 6 years of agoraphobia it's getting bad for me.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: