Depression, need help and support asap

Discussions in depression - new perspectives on depression. Get help if you are suffering, and discuss approaches if you are a therapist.

Postby Nicegirl23 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:55 am

HI. I'm really really stressed and worried because i am dealing with a
serious form of depression, maybe bi-polar disorder, and i've tried
telling
people about it, ie. university staff and parents but its really hard
getting them to pay attention, to take me seriously and understand. I
dont
know how il cope, its just so bad, im always affected by its many
symptoms
what ever i do, who ever im with and im fed up of it now. I really want
to
seek effective help from different sources. Can u help at all. I need to
find people who are going through similar problems and who are
respectful.
Nicegirl23

Postby ehnew » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

Well you've come to the right place. The vast majority of the people that post on here are extremely sympathetic and helpful as we're all in a similar situation or have been in the past.

What sort of symptoms are you getting? Have you had bi-polar diagnosed by a doctor?
ehnew

Postby jurplesman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am

HI Nicegirl23,

Depression is not always in the mind, but can be in the body, having problems producing feel good neurotransmitters.

You can do a lot for yourself by reading:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

and ask to be referred to a Nutritional Doctor, a Clinical Nutritionist or a Nutritional Psychologist if you want to, although this can be treated by the person by adopting the hypoglycemic diet as a first step.
jurplesman

Postby goodison hopeful » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Nicegirl23,

Like so many other members, I can sympathise with you because dealing with depression can be so frustrating for the following reasons (from personal experience):

* most people don't understand this illness.

*as a result they lack much sympathy.

*in fact they can further compound the situation by saying things like 'pull yourself together or it's all in the mind'. :x

*at least take comfort from the fact that you've found this forum as it gives me comfort to know that when I'm feeling down, I can log on and get in touch with like minded people.

*when I first suffered from depression, what surprised me most was the lack of understanding and support from employers, and the public. It was as if I was left to fend for myself.

*I have since spent a great deal learning about the illness and the support available by researching on the internet, and I have set up a free newsletter in order to help other like minded people.

*The one consolation for you is that you have been strong enough to admit that you are suffering from depression. Having done this you can take your first steps towards learning how to cope with depression.

Keep your chin up and best of luck over the weekend.

Goodison hopeful
goodison hopeful

Postby Dr. Ald » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 am

From your description, I believe that it is more depression than bipolar. Otherwise, I believe you would have put more emphasis on both extremes, rather than just one. Also, I don't think mood regulators would be too effective in your depression-dictated description.

If you believe you have a physiological depression (not enough serotonin or dopamine) here's a pretty simple test. Go to a GNC (general nutrition center) and pick up one of two things (or both).

5-HTP Is the precursor to serotonin. It increases the ammount of serotonin in your body, but from a different method of action than reuptake inhibitors.

L-Tyrosine Is the precursor to dopamine. It's converted into L-DOPA (dihydroxy-levo-phenylalanine) which crosses the blood brain barrier, and is then converted to dopamine.

In taking these, if your depression lessons, it's a physiological depression which is easily treatable. Just keep taking the above two, or go see a doctor to get a perscription for an SSRI (more extreme case, but effective nonetheless).

If your depression DOESN'T lessen, and your mood swings INCREASE, you have bipolar disorder which may actually require atypical antipsychotics (histamine, dopamine, acetylcholine, and serotonin blockers) or a more conventional drug lithium.
Dr. Ald

Postby lodger » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:01 am

I agree with Dr Ald re 5HTP and tyrosine. Tyrosine is good for improving low mood, especially if you have problems with motivation. The best time to take it is in the morning (obviously because that is when you most need motivation). It has to be taken away from food. 5HTP is best taken once you are up and about i.e. not with or before breakfast. Again, take it away from food. You may wish to think about taking Omega 3 fish oils, as well as eating more oily fish (I eat it 3 times a week).

I suffer from bipolar depression, and I posted the following in the 5HTP thread. It may help you too.

"I am taking 50mg of 5-HTP three times a day (mid-morning, mid-afternoon and 30mins before bedtime). I'm also taking Omega 3 fish oils (containing 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA) threes times a day with meals. Plus St Johns Wort 300mg twice a day (mid-afternoon and 30mins before bedtime). I take tyrosine 500mg twice a day (before breakfast, and mid-morning). I take other supplements too, but these three are specifically for mood. I get all my supplements from Holland and Barrett. [That's not an advertisement, just to let you know that the 5-HTP is the bog-standard one which they sell. It is mixed with other nutrients.]

I noticed a distinct improvement in my mood when I started taking 5-HTP. This occurred right from the first dose. I've been taking it for 4 weeks now, but the effect doesn't seem to be as pronounced."
lodger

Postby jurplesman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:08 am

If the above supplements do not work for you, please understand that the manufacture of feel good neurotransmitters - such as serotonin - is a little more complicated than just providing a few nutritional forerunners for neurotransmitters. The manufacture of neurotransmitters derive from food - that is true - but a whole host of other nutritional precursors are needed depending on the individual biochemistry of the person with the mood disorder. We are biochemically all different. Please read:

Hi or Miss Supplements for Depression

for a more holistic approach to nutritional therapy.
jurplesman

Postby life of hell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:49 pm

i'm with goodison on this one.

sharing with like minded people is very helpfull.
i have become quite disapointed at most human behaviour - but there are some on here who do care. even though we've never met you, never will. it's upsetting to think someone feels as bad as you. when you start offering advise to others you feel better and perhaps take a diferent prospective on your own problems.

the amount of times i've been low and stuck in situations that i know i'd scream at others to get out of if i was outside looking in.
the bonus here is that no one has an agenda - only to help you feel better.
family have an agenda (patch you up, tell you what they think you need to know)
freinds have an agenda (normally to shut you up moaning so you can all go get drunk)
work has an agenda (give a quick fix so they get on with thier work)

here - no one knows you to need an agenda. we're just trying to make the world a less horrid place :)
life of hell