Reverse hypnosis

Postby Wildcard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 am

I just come across this for the first time. What I just read about it says that you do it with eyes open for the people that are a little uncomfortable with their eyes closed or no rapport exists and instead of using a normal deepener you do exactly the opposite with the imagery and get them to go "higher" like with an elevator going upwards or a hot air balloon etc.

Is there a difference in the trance state when using differnt imagery for the "deepeners"...going up or down...and does it have an effect on what phenomena can be achieved?
Wildcard
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 14

Postby Parkey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 am

As I understand it what's happening with a deepener is that the state of trance is intensified.

Overall I don't think it matters whether this is done by saying "Deeper", "Higher", "Further" or whatever, although different subjects may relate better to some concepts than others.
Parkey
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 0

Postby Wildcard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:20 am

I actually read about it in Richard Nongard´s book "Inductions and Deepeners" (cough cough)...

I also think that a "deepener" just intensifies the state a person is in. So it doesnt make any sense to me other than maybe that some people just might be more comfortable with going higher, further (depending on subject, like you said) instead of always using deeper.

I like the "eyes open" part though...time to break out the magnetic hands again and start trying it with eyes open...hehehe
Wildcard
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 14

Postby Parkey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 pm

I think I got that bit of information from Igor Ledochowski's book. It makes sense to me. For example, I remember Darren saying that he really can't follow "go deeper" but can with "relax further".

As for eyes open trance, I definitely recommend the Erickson handshake for that one.
Parkey
Preferred Member

Postby jargan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:36 am

Our goal here is relaxation, and that doesn't have to mean "going down" in any way. Some people may associate that with unpleasant things. You can just as well talk about "floating up", feeling wonderfully light, like a warm fuzzy cloud, drifting peacefully etc. I don't think the result is different in any meaningful way.
Apart from that, the idea behind relaxation isn't that it's the only hypnotically conducive state, it's just a particularly useful one. I think you can just as well use states like excitement, despair and what not (though I don't think you'd want to create a state of despair in anyone).
jargan
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 3

Postby Lizzidoll » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm

I wouldn't have said that using different imagery (in this case, feeling weightless and light) as being necessarily "reverse hypnosis". In fact, when I clicked onto this thread I thought I'd be looking at something regarding inductions I've seen before, where the hypnotist literally plays Devil's Advocate in order to get the subject into trance. But, that's another story.

Whether it's 'weightless and light' or 'gown down deeper into relaxation', or even (as I sometimes try to do, especially with hypnotists) avoiding as many words connected to stereotypical inductions as possible - it all works to achieving the same aim. It's not reverse in this respect, as the subject is focusing on the feeling of weightlessness, of drifting upwards. The connected connotations with this are usually pleasurable (unless you get a really responsive subject afraid of heights), as they echo things like the sky, air (and then of course, breath/life) and Heaven (/levels of happiness and elation). We cycle through these things unconsciously, with little more than a fleeting thought as we respond.

So an induction that focuses on this will still follow the same things as any 'normal' deepening induction. There will be sensation throughout the body (weight and sluggishness for deepening trances, and weightlessness and floating for uplifting ones). There will then be the feeling of relaxation associated with either of the two. Whether it's eyes open or eyes closed will only affect the subject if they have preconceptions about how trance should work (if there is such a thing). Then again, this image can be cast aside just with the confidence emitted from the hypnotist. The subject will latch onto it, and follow just as well as any other induction.

So, to cut my long-winded ramble short, I don't think it matters what kind of imagery you decide to use. Whether it be floating and light, or sinking into the sheets of your bed after a long day (one of my personal favourites as it ties in the relaxation with a feeling they can relate to, one of coming in after a long day's work and longing for a good sleep). I think it all boils down to the main thing about hypnosis really: "Fake it until you make it" regardless of what induction you do, there's an argument that with a good bit of smooth talking on the part of the hypnotist, you can convince the subject they *are* in hypnosis. From there, it's much easier to evoke responses.

For those of you familiar with the writings of Terry Goodkind, it's the Wizard's First Rule ;)
Lizzidoll

Postby Joe100 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:09 pm

I agree that faking it is the number 1 rule.

When I teach hypnosis the first rule is...

"WHATEVER happens, you say "perfect! wonderful! exactly!" and then go forward"

Joe
Joe100
Preferred Member