Are You Depressed or Simply Bored

Discussions in depression - new perspectives on depression. Get help if you are suffering, and discuss approaches if you are a therapist.

Postby ZazvatAnanda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:12 am

There is a big difference between bored and depressed, however they appear the same in an adult. And so boredom becomes confused with depression.

The longer you are bored, the more you will think and appear to others to be depressed. ?Eventually you become depressed. But in fact you are bored.

Children are easily entertained, and so boredom does not last long, because it is short lived, it does not turn to depression. If it lasts too long, then depression can result.

Adults start to get bored at some point in their life, due to circumstances which are difficult to change because of obligations that come with the search and acquisition of a 'normal' adult life.

Often we deliberately choose certain situations because we see some need or benefit from it, and that new situation soon creates the boredom.

For an adult to claim they are bored is not socially acceptable because they should be so busy with their family and work etc.

So we deny the boredom because its cure is to make a significant change, which is too traumatic for the family. This way, boredom grows into depression.

Trying to cure depression when it is in fact boredom will only makes it worse. When we find ourselves depressed, it is wise to first look at what is exciting in our life. If we find nothing, then boredom may be the cause.

The cure is a drastic change of attitude, understanding, location, work, hobby, etc. each person must find their own. But a cure cannot be had until the true cause of the mental state is truly acknowledged and then corrected.

{edited by Site Admin to comply with forum rules}
ZazvatAnanda

Postby Pookie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:25 am

Hi ZavatAnanda,

Well, I am depressed.

Now a question for you:

Are you being deliberately rude and insensitive to the many people here who are suffering from depression, or are you oblivious to the offensive nature of your ignorant post?

Anyone who has suffered from depression, will have had to put up with idiots who proclaim "Snap out of it" and "Pull yourself together".

I sincerely hope that you never have to find out what it is to suffer from depression - as I would not wish this upon my worst enemy.

If you are bored, then I suggest that you fill a few minutes by reading the Rules of the Forum before you write your next post - http://www.uncommonforum.com/rules/rules.html
Pookie

Postby Erin.Ox » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Nicely said,
Depression is not boredom, like you said children are easily entertained.
I have been depressed since i was 9 years old.
So please tell me im bored,

Dont think you understand when you clearly dont, unless you suffer from it, you have no opionion on the matter
Erin.Ox

Postby Triarius » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 pm

this person needs to study neurology and genetics.

some people require more stimulation in order to feel "satisfied". This is because their dopamine receptors may be less efficient than other peoples. Or any number of genetically controlled things.

These people may seem easily bored simply because safe and menial activities do not provide enough stimulation. So yes, they are very bored people. And that boredom is linked directly to chemical "imbalances" associated with depression.

Do you know anyone that needs to live "on the edge" to "feel alive"? People that do extreme sports, or ride roller coasters, or even participate in crime are all likely candidates to have bad dopamine receptors. They crave these kinds of activities because it's only thing that stimulates their brains.

So "normal people" who have healthy dopamine receptors don't understand these "bored and depressed" people. Some people get all the dopamine they need from seeing a friend and having a chat. Or from watching Jeopardy. But, some people are simply built different.

So actually, there may be almost no difference between "boredom" and "depression".
Triarius

Postby Pookie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi seta37,

It is also true that someone who experiences a bout of severe depression, will cease to do the things that they used to enjoy, and will be unable to draw pleasure from those activities.

The lonliness, is actually about the hardest thing to bear, when one 'falls in on oneself' in severe depression. It is a strange 'which came first - the chicken or the egg' situation. Depression creates self-isolation, and self-isolation worsens depression - this I believe is at the heart of the viscous cycle of descent into depression.

Best wishes,
John
Pookie

Postby ZazvatAnanda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 pm

I apologize for upsetting you. I have experienced severe depression myself, and have come out of it very well after many many years in that state. I have also spent decades studying the condition and have tested my theory with dozens of people who have recovered.

I think it is a matter of words that my way of expressing my thoughts was not suitable.
The point was that when you are depressed, the true cause may not be found or it may be different than you think.

I expressed it as a lack of a fundamental and deep purpose to life being unfulfilled. In some cases, a person had a talent, skill or simply a personality that was not being expressed. thus they have been constrained. Being constrained into a life like that is tantamount to a lion being kept in a small cage in a zoo. The lion will become depressed. I chose the word bored as that can be a way of explaining why the lion is depressed, he is bored with being in a cage rather than living as he is destined to in the free.

certainly there are cases which i have dealt with that have been classified as neurological and psychological disorders, however for example, one case of a man who had over 10 years of severe depression, classified as incurable, under heavy medication, was no longer depressed and actually very happy in a few days after a certain change in his life and no longer required medication. When he returned to his previous conditions, his depression returned. It was not a simple change of environment alone, it was a change in his lifestyle and what he was doing day to day.

His history was that he was a naturally talented scholar and teacher. He was a very gregarious person, great sense of humor, very social, all good things a person could want to be. Then he experienced a series of emotional traumas and let downs with parents and then a very bad wife. This was then followed by a tremendous injustice in his teaching position in the college. The series of events added up to his breaking point at which time he became a recluse, no longer having any social interactions because he was so discouraged with humanity. Normally discouraging events can heal, however his decision to become a recluse became the new cause of his depression. Because he did not see that as being the cause but maintained that it was the discouragements of life which put him in his hole, and that he felt medication is the only way to help him, he did not discover that he had actually healed from the initial causes of his pain and that there was a new cause to the depression, that being his isolation.

In his depression, he was isolated, the change that brought him out of it was a change of environment as well as placing him on stage to be teaching again. He returned to his natural talent, or I you would permit the word, his destiny.

What I am proposing here, is that what is often the cause of a severe depression is a person living a life which is in lack of harmony with their true nature, denying their natural personality, talents and abilities. Some events happen which turn a person away from their nature and it could even be so strong that they forget or deny that nature totally. They can further increase the depression by following this altered course of living. Making a change in their lifestyle, which is often a very difficult thing to do, is an answer.

Simply put, my experience personally and with many case studies I have conducted, a high percentage of cases of depression are maintained by an unrealized cause, and that by altering the life style completely in the direction of a persons natural talents, a person can eliminate the depression without medication. However this may entail a complete change of lifestyle, environment, associations etc. The question is to what extent a person is willing to go to come out of the hole. Sometimes it could be very simple, but it is worth a try.

For myself, I was prepared to kill myself. Then I thought about the spiritual teachings which say how that is the worst thing for the soul, and by the way I am not at all religious. I was not so concerned at that point, but I thought, change may be better. I made a total change of lifestyle that changed my internal life so much that it was well worth the cost. The point is that the cure is often simple but illusive but is there. It makes no sense that anyone is destined to remain depressed in that degree, there must be a natural way out.
ZazvatAnanda

Postby roxana » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:35 am

I understand as I have lived 8 years bored thinking that is how life is and not much to do. When you get a situation that throws you on the floor, then you could see it as an opportunity to change or to fall into depression.

I am experiencing it and I am able to say, yes I was bored, I could not be depressed - even though I thought that was the only option to choose to name how I was feeling about life - because I could still go to work, share time with friends and push through life, however I felt I was walking seeing life with a grey color, as it is always foggy.

I am taking the steps to change, I can see some color in my life.
roxana

Postby GSte » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Perhaps boredom could be a cause of depression, but boredom and depression are certainly two different things. Boredom isn't known as a cause of suicide is it? :D
GSte

Postby Triarius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:09 pm

GSte wrote:Perhaps boredom could be a cause of depression, but boredom and depression are certainly two different things. Boredom isn't known as a cause of suicide is it? :D
\

You never know, perhaps one could just get so bored that there's nothing else to try???
Triarius

Postby jaybee » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Interesting posts. I can certainly relate to feeling depressed from being bored with my life and feeling stuck. But admitting that brings about negative feelings, such as, I am bored with my job it doesn't push my buttons so to speak, and then guilty feelings come because I say to myself at least I am lucky to have a job in the current financial climate, so I shouldn't have the right to complain about my job when others are losing or have lost theirs.
jaybee

Postby ZazvatAnanda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Please understand that i am speaking of a fundamental boredom. so boredom is not the right word but one that may be used.
What is boredom anyway? a lack of an interesting or stimulating activity.
that changes quickly if you are bored with a movie or person you are talking to.
But i am speaking of a much deeper condition, a lack of expression of your own individual natural talents. this is more comparative to not breathing than to watching a movie or listening to the right kind of music.

the problem is that many people deny their natural talents such as becoming a lawyer because that is what your family wants of you when your natural talent is to be a photographer. This was the case of one man i knew who became ill to the point of near death after a few years of being a lawyer, not to mention being very depressed. After being hospitalised his doctor told him to take at least 6 months off and in that time he picked up his camera. He never went back to the legal profession and was cured of his illness and his depression.
so please maintain this line of activites when you think of the term boredom in this conversation.

Finding your true talents may not be so easy if you have buried it deep beneath your feelings of obligation or what is the 'right' thing to do imposed on you by family or other people, but your life depends on it to a degree, and most certainly your depression depends on it.
ZazvatAnanda

Postby Triarius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 pm

I think this is a case of mistranslation.

I understand what you are trying to say, but "boredom" in english has no "deep implications" in colloquial speech.

In fact, I can't even think of a single word in english which would mean "not being what you truly are inside", though I'm sure one exists.
Triarius

Postby oceans » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm

I agree way of life and boredom is something I have been told about many times, and I agree. It kills me. After all, all my councillor can tell me is to get things done and occupy myself. But at the end of the day the feeling of sadness and dissociation comes along again. Even when i'm with people doing something I can feel alone and disconnected. As a child I always felt something was not right with me. So whilst yes occupation and doing interesting things will help alleviate symptoms for a while, I don't think it's the bottom line with depression.
oceans

Postby ZazvatAnanda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 pm

Indeed there is no accurate word, and so i hope that people will use their mind to allow for the use of this word but associate the intended meaning.
If everyone sticks to words alone, then how can we communicate deeper meanings and feelings of emotion or spiritual intent.

Go beyond words to find meanings as you would eat the flesh of the sweet coconut and leave the shell.

thank you Seta for this comment.
ZazvatAnanda

Postby ZazvatAnanda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:07 pm

oceans wrote:I agree way of life and boredom is something I have been told about many times, and I agree. It kills me. After all, all my councillor can tell me is to get things done and occupy myself. But at the end of the day the feeling of sadness and dissociation comes along again. Even when i'm with people doing something I can feel alone and disconnected. As a child I always felt something was not right with me. So whilst yes occupation and doing interesting things will help alleviate symptoms for a while, I don't think it's the bottom line with depression.

Dear Oceans, take ti further. It is not just to be occupied with anything, it is to find that which is your natural talent. One woman was an executive in a New York company. She became depressed and then divorced. She moved to western states and together we discovered her natural talents to be a performer and drummer for children and the elderly. so you see, it is not so simple as looking at obvious things to occupy yourself, it is much deeper than that, who are YOU really.

you can try to recall what you enjoyed as a young child, ask your family, and then see how you can do the same or an adult version of that main game you used to play.
ZazvatAnanda

Next