How would someone remember suppressed memories?

Postby candilw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 pm

How would someone remember suppressed memories? Are these memories lost forever? Is there treatment for this?
candilw

Likes Received: 0

Postby jurplesman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:42 am

Why would you like to retrace lost memories, if it is not for the belief that you present day mood disorder is caused by something in the past. This is psychoanalytic mythology, because whatever mood disorder you may have is simply biological in the here-and-now and not "psychological".

If you want to understand your problem please look up:

Self Help Personal Growth Program

and ask to be referred to a Nutritional Doctor, Clinical Nutritionist or Nutritional Psychologist for further assessment and treatment if you want to. But most can be achieved by self-help therapy.
jurplesman

Postby desperate788 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 pm

ı agree jurplesman, why would you want to remember repressed memories? Your ego forget them for you to feel better. Thats the simpliest defence mechanism of ego.
desperate788

Likes Received: 16

Postby candilw » Fri May 08, 2009 9:06 am

I was told that i need to work through the trauma in order to find complete healing. I have no memory what so ever of the trauma.
candilw

Postby sunflower27 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am

My mother suffered a lot of mental breakdowns when I was going up and was admitted to psychaitric hospitals many times, sometimes for days, others weeks.

Eventually she was put under hypnosis and it was discovered she had been abused as a child.... she wishes now she had never known as it has totured her for years and never made her feel any better. She still ahs the breakdwons but lives with the pain of knowing exactly what happened.

I dont know your situation, but from my mum's experience i'd question why you need to remember something you have obviously blocked out for good reason.
sunflower27

Postby ButterflyEmerging » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm

This is a somewhat contraversial area as there are many people that believe that the recovery of repressed memory doesn't actually happen, rather the memories that are recovered are just 'memories' that are falsely constructed by the power of suggestion from therapists/peers etc.

Al I can coment on is my experiences, and I have found that I have recovered memories of my childhood abuse over the past few years. I always new that I had been abused (it wasn't as if I forgot about it completely) and I had lots of partial memories that have been subsequently been filled in. My thoughts are that you shouldn't force these memories to surface - let them come out in their own time. I agree with others that have posted her in that your mind has put them out of reach of your conscious for a reason and so it's important to let them come out when they are ready to, because then you will have the mental resources and strength to tackle them properly. If you feel you have issues from your past that you have repressed, seek some sound proffessional counselling/therapy - you may be surprised at what that unlocks, and then at least if the memories do surface, you'll have the right support in place to help you deal with it and move on.

Good luck and take care of yourself during this very difficult time. Make sure you do things to take care of yourself at this time, and make you feel safe and nutured.
ButterflyEmerging

Postby jurplesman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 am

The idea that we can recover from endogenous depression or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) ( childhood abuse and so on) smacks of pseudoscience in clinical psychology.
This is based on the simplistic and antiquated notion that by delving into a person's memories, which are usually selective anyway, and by bringing them to "consciousness" from the "unconscious" will miraculously cure a person of their "mental illness". This is called Recovered Memory Therapy (RMT). Thus PTSD is seen as a disease of the mind.
Pharmaceutical propaganda will have you believe that drugs can numb the mind, whilst a "talking psychologist" can talk you out of your insanity that "now you are grown up, you should realize that the past can't hurt you in the 'here-and-now', and "stop being silly!".

The therapy may last so long that it may take years for your body to possibly heal itself and cure itself naturally, whilst the poor victim keeps on paying "fees" to support the sick "mental health industry".

This is old-time psychology, well passed its use-by date.
jurplesman

Postby ButterflyEmerging » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:17 am

I have to agree with you on that - the idea that you can heal from PTSD by talking therapy and the recovery of repressed memories is a very old-school approach and not entirely helpful. In my opinion, you can never 'get over' the trauma, you can only learn ways to cope with it and limit it's impact on your future life. And that simply takes time. For some people, unlocking the past memories can help them to understand what they need in the future, but the idea that recovering repressed memories can somehow magically heal you is probably false and born out of a desperate need for relief from the PTSD. I wouldn't discount therapy enitrely, as many people find relief and comfort from this and if nothing else, it can provide a space and time for focus on the self (which is something that we all lack in this modern rat race). But to think it's going to be some magic cure would be, perhaps, somewhat niave.
ButterflyEmerging

Postby Chick1979 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 am

When I went for therapy I was asked several times if something happened to me as a kid. I had these blank spots you see where I can't remember stuff. I asked if I might be supressing the memories and she said possibly. I wanted them recovered but it's not something they did there. If anything bad happened to me that was caused by someone else (like abuse), I want to confront them. I want to know. I am aware of these false memories though. Is there any way of reliably getting these memories raked up? Through talking I did rake up something I thought I had completely forgotten about and it was not a good thing. It was a tiny memory snippet though. I wonder what else there might be there. :( I am not one to let it lie, I want to know. :roll:
Chick1979
Preferred Member

Postby jurplesman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:41 am

Chick1979 wrote:When I went for therapy I was asked several times if something happened to me as a kid. I had these blank spots you see where I can't remember stuff. I asked if I might be supressing the memories and she said possibly. I wanted them recovered but it's not something they did there. If anything bad happened to me that was caused by someone else (like abuse), I want to confront them. I want to know. I am aware of these false memories though. Is there any way of reliably getting these memories raked up? Through talking I did rake up something I thought I had completely forgotten about and it was not a good thing. It was a tiny memory snippet though. I wonder what else there might be there. :( I am not one to let it lie, I want to know. :roll:

But why do you want to know? What's the point? You must be believing in the old myth that past memories determine your present emotional disorder. If you sincerely believe that, then you have to follow that path. Modern science of mood disorders tells you it won't help get you better.
jurplesman

Postby moulin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 am

jpurple
flashbacks...split states..panic attacks...self harm...self hatred..to the point where there is no quality of life....a search for answers is inevitable
theres always a knowledge..and you know you are trying to protect yourself....whenever someone asks me what i wouldlike to happen....is for my memory to be erased to forget....thats what i do best.. to forget... to disaccoiate.....but i guess in my case it has caught up with me.....i still try to ignore...but it finds you sometimes and takes over...and you ca n't stop it...
i wish i could....
moulin
Preferred Member

Postby jurplesman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:22 am

moulin wrote:you ca n't stop it...i wish i could....

This is because it is biological and not "psychological".
jurplesman

Postby ~healing~ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 am

There are a lot of opinions here that go back and forth...I am writting this message as a survivor and a person who is in the process of recovering my own memories..I am in the process of getting to a place where I can recover memories of the molestation that happened to me as a child. I do remember a lot of it, and a lot is just visual flashes, like looking at pictures, I would like to fill these in as well. I can tell you that it is a very hard process, you need to have a support group, multiple people who will help you through the trauma. When you start recovering these memories it can cause more stress and flashbacks are a concern. Once you begin to open the door they will start comming and you may find that they come when you don't expect them to. I am currently working on ways to protect myself- I need to have more boundries than I have mentally, then I plan on doing hypnotherapy. This can be a large financial burden because it will take a great amount of time to work through everything. If you don't have a psychologist I would suggest getting one, find out as many details from the trauma as you can and work through them with a professional this may jog your memory. I hope that all goes well, but remember that your brain blocks certain things because you do not have the copacity to understand or deal with the memories, this is why you have to have a support group and make sure you get yourself ready to do this, it's not as easy as it sounds, but I wish you luck.
~healing~

Postby gringor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:35 am

If it's buried, leave it buried. If it's going to cause you any pain, why bring it back to the surface?

Many will disagree, and say you need to face any suppressed demons head-on....but I agree with jurples, what's the point?
gringor

Postby Ruby88 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:45 am

[quote="jurplesman"] You must be believing in the old myth that past memories determine your present emotional disorder. If you sincerely believe that, then you have to follow that path. Modern science of mood disorders tells you it won't help get you better.[/quote]

Sorry JP, I'm not picking on you again deliberately ( :D ) but I've got to pick this point up. Surely memories of the past have to influence your current emotional state - every thought in our head is a product of our past experiences, that's just what we are. We start as a clean slate with some genetically inherited tendencies, but every experience in your life shapes you as a person in some way. And that is biological as well - it's neurons making connections all the time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that nutrition has no place in this, but you can't just discount experience in mood disorders.
Ruby88