Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Hypnosis -> Can I be Hypnotized to forget the past? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Can I be Hypnotized to forget the past?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Hypnosis Resources

What hypnosis is and how it can help you (article)

Hypnosis Master Series (articles)

Hypnosis downloads library

Hypnosis scripts library

Free hypnosis script

Learn hypnosis in 5 days (free course)

Hypnosis Unwrapped DVD

How to use hypnosis CD

Online hypnosis training (course)

Precision hypnosis training (course)

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Darling

Post Thu May 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Can I be Hypnotized to forget the past?    Reply with quote  

I have been with my partner 5 years and things happened in the 2nd year of our relationship that I can't forget. If my attitude doesn't change towards my partner he wont take me back. I just want to forget all the bad things in our past and start fresh together but I can't as I am bitter towards him and now have trust and jealousy issues which I can't foget.

Triarius

Post Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 pm

We remember things for a reason. perhaps instead of forgetting about those things that happened you should heed your internal urging to move on.

I wouldn't think that hypnotism to be capable of making you "forget" - but perhaps, if nothing else, hypnotism might be able to help you accept what happened.
Darling

Post Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 pm

I am looking for anything that can help. Does anyone know someone that I could see in Scotland (Edinburgh) I want to make sure I see someone really good who understands me.
Theo2005

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Seta's right, do not try to forget your past because it will always find a way to come back and when it does it will be crucial so if your going to get hypnotized then ask the hypnotist to find a method to make you accept the past or anything else he can think of..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm suggesting to find someone to hypnotize you online if you won't find anyone in Scotland but I bet you will Smile

Good luck,
Theo
Darling

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 pm

How do I get hypnotized online? This is all very new to me. Everyone's suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank You.
Virtual Visitor

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I have a very close friend who was hypnotized to forget a terrible event in their life.

This did not work, because this person was left with an unidentified dread, rather than one that had a name and event, so the "Forget" had to be undone.

I only relate this as that person told it to me, and I am not aware of other, possibly relevant, considerations here.
Theo2005

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Well.. you find a willing hypnotist and get his skype, from there it's better if you have a microphone, if not then it's not a problem or the second option would be downloading/buying a self hypnosis recording but I don't recommend these because there might not be the right one for you..You might as well ask someone from this forum to hypnotize you over the internet.

Regards,
Theo
Darling

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks Theo I will start a separate post and see if anyone is willing to help me. Thanks Again. Very Happy
Theo2005

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:53 pm

No problem, you can try adding joe.10000 in skype, he is on rarely once in a few weeks but he is willing to hypnotize you if you'll just ask Very Happy
*he hypnotized me once*

Theo
johnhall

Post Fri May 29, 2009 7:03 am

I don't think trying to erase your past is a good idea. This person has obviously hurt you in the past through some form of infidelity. Crazy things happen in all our lives, some we live to regret, but finding a way to accept what happened and living for the present is what you both need to do now. Having trust in someone who has hurt you so badly is not at all easy, we never know what the next day may bring, there are no certanties in life. All you can do is live your life now the best way you know how, love and be loved.
There was a good reason for what happened, read Sanaya Romans book, Personal Power through Awareness, it may help you make sense of everything.
Wishing you both lots of love peace and happiness.
John
Stevo74
Preferred Member

Post Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Can I be Hypnotized to forget the past?    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Darling
If my attitude doesn't change towards my partner he wont take me back.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I read this line and it reminded me of a past relationship I once had.

A girlfriend cheated on me and I had severe trust problems after it happened. I thought I loved her so much, we had been together for years.
I finished the relationship because of it and then, because my life had been wrapped up with her, I felt empty and I thought I missed her, thought my life would never be the same.
I was stupid enough to try and get her back.
She said I had to 'get over it, stop the mis-trusting and she would take me back' but I realised soon that my heart tells the truth and I mistrusted her for a reason and couldn't change the feeling.

Please feel free to PM me if this is anything similar.
If not, apologies.

Lee
jargan
MVP
MVP

Post Sat May 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Without going into your particular situation too much (if I did that, I'd have to know a lot more about you, for, possibly, no real benefit for you), I agree that memories are a good thing. All of them. Even the really horrible ones. If that doesn't make sense, please bear with me for another paragraph or two. If it makes a weird kind of sense to you after you've finished reading my post, that's perfectly find. In fact, I'm not even going to expect that you find this all perfectly logical. After all, logic hasn't helped you get rid of all the bad things. Perhaps it's better to set logic aside now. Just get a feeling for what it all might mean, and leave it at that.

How do you learn to swim? How do you get a phobia of spiders? How do you feel bad about a situation? All of these work along the same lines: you have an experience and you make a judgement about it (perhaps through a process of contemplation, perhaps it's just a feeling you get). These two factors together influence the way similar situations will affect you in the future.

Now if you block off the experience, or the memory of the experience, as you suggested, you may no longer be able to recall what happened, but the judgement will probably remain and continue to influence you. If, on the other hand, you were to change your judgement of the experience on a fundamental level of your mind, you would still remember everything that happened, and remember that you didn't enjoy it very much back then, but that the experience contains a valuable lesson for you, a lesson that will completely change the way you think about things and will leave you more confident, more sure of yourself and your life, and, perhaps even more importantly, perfectly fine.

At this point I can't tell you which kind of judgement or lesson that would be, because I don't know the situation. But the good news is that the level of your mind on which these things happen does know, because it's a part of you. It knows, and I don't know when it will find this important lesson that it hasn't been looking for before now, but even if it takes a couple of days, at some point you may find that, very suddenly, it clicks in your head and you feel different. Or perhaps in a week or three you suddenly notice that this experience you used to feel very bad about isn't really a big deal anymore. In either case, it usually happens precisely at the moment you least expect it, so I really couldn't say how quickly it will happen.

All that said, I wish you all the best in your quest to use the power of hypnosis. If anything interesting happens, I'd love to hear about it.
Darling

Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:34 pm

Thanks for everyones imput I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Darling

Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Can I be Hypnotized to forget the past?    Reply with quote  

Hi Lee

I can't send PM's at the moment as I haven't made enough posts but would be interesting talking with you.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevo74
quote:
Originally posted by Darling
If my attitude doesn't change towards my partner he wont take me back.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I read this line and it reminded me of a past relationship I once had.

A girlfriend cheated on me and I had severe trust problems after it happened. I thought I loved her so much, we had been together for years.
I finished the relationship because of it and then, because my life had been wrapped up with her, I felt empty and I thought I missed her, thought my life would never be the same.
I was stupid enough to try and get her back.
She said I had to 'get over it, stop the mis-trusting and she would take me back' but I realised soon that my heart tells the truth and I mistrusted her for a reason and couldn't change the feeling.

Please feel free to PM me if this is anything similar.
If not, apologies.

Lee
Very Happy
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

quote:
Originally posted by seta37
I wouldn't think that hypnotism to be capable of making you "forget" - but perhaps, if nothing else, hypnotism might be able to help you accept what happened.

As someone with personal experience of testing hypnotically-induced amnesia in a number of circumstances for a number of reasons, I disagree.

Hypnotism can make you forget but it is usually better to use it to change your emotional response to the memories first and then see if you still want to forget them.

Kev

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: