Apparently, i'm too slow.

Postby FoxInDocs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 am

So, i just found this site, it seems like a really good resource...

um, yeah, so here's my deal...

I'm 24, nearly 25, i live in South Australia... I work at Subway in the food court at a shopping mall... It's not a glamorous job by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it taxing either physically or mentally, and i'm good at it, or so i thought, so i was reasonably happy with it.

so the other day, my manager comes in, on her day off, and takes me outside to talk. she tells me that essentially she's not happy with my performance. she says other staff members have told her that when the work with me "they have to work twice as hard" and that when they close the shop with me "we always get out late" now, that last bit's just not true, i haven't been late out of the shop since i've been working there by more than 5 minutes, and we're usually out 15 minutes early... as for working twice as hard, i can't say either way, cuz i don't know how they work when i'm not there...

i'm rambling... too bad...

now, this is not the first job in which i've been pulled up on "performance issues" and "working too slow" but the thing is, i don't *feel* like i'm working slow, i feel like i'm working damned hard, and i also don't see that, or feel like anyone is else is working any harder than i am....

i really don't want to get fired or have to quit another job....

So, i'd really like other people's opinions on what the problem might be here... particuarly anyone professional, but all (constructive) comments welcome.

also some background info... I am educated, not highly but i do have some mid-level tech-collage education in IT, and i did work in the IT industry for a couple years out of highschool while i was studying... i have suffered with depression in the past, and i have been medicated for it. (zoloft)

The rest of my life, personal and social, is fine and dandy, i'm engaged to an incredible man who makes me happier than i can express in words, we're getting married in October, and plan to start a family once we've bought a house. I have a wonderful relationship with my mother, step-father and siblings, my in-law's are perfect, and i have truck-loads of beautiful supportive friends from all sorts of different cultures...

So any help's appreciated. Thanks.
FoxInDocs

Postby FoxInDocs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:55 am

also, i forgot to mention, when i was 20, and having some problems at my IT job, i went to an occupational psychologist who did a bit of a test on me (wiess II???) and he told me i had some problems with working memory and processing speed... would that effect how i work in physical jobs as well, or just desk jobs?
FoxInDocs

Postby Sunfish » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 pm

I'm hoping you will get some replies that are better informed than my own. In the mean time the point I'm going to try and get accross to you is that yours sounds like a case of simply working differently (slower) than other people and that difference is not an ideal fit in your current field (food service). Food service is a fast paced business. It's not enough to get the order right and follow procedure and keep your area clean and keep yourself clean - you also have to do all of that fast. I don't work in food service because it is a horrible fit for me. I'm slow and deliberate. Like me, you may find that you do better at tasks that are more complicated but don't have the time pressure. Jobs that most people don't have the patience or precision for.

Slow working memory and processing speed? So don't work at a restaurant and don't become an EMT. Do you have good concentration? Can you focus on one thing for more than ten minutes? With practice, can you learn new things easily? Do you like to do quality work and do it correctly? I wish I could find someone with those qualities. Every assistant I've ever had was more interested in working quickly than getting it right. In my field, even small mistakes cost money, materials and potentially hours of labor. No one was willing to take thier time so I got rid of them! Maybe they work at Subway now.

A career aptitude test might be helpful to you.
Sunfish

Postby FoxInDocs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:38 am

one word: Origami. i can spend hours precisely folding a piece of paper into a beautiful model of a... dinosaur was my latest one...

I did do a career aptitude test... it told me i should work in retail. *headdesk*

What do you do? maybe i can find someone similar in my area to assist...
FoxInDocs

Postby Sunfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm

You could try working in the printing industry - a place that still does offset lithography or high-end screen printing. Specifically, working in the pre-press department (sometimes called "production art") might work for you. You wouldn't neccesarilly have to design things per se, but you would be working with film exposure, various rulers and guages and, of course, a computer. I work in art reproduction so that is what I know but really, any technical field could work for you. Maybe you'd prefer fine woodworking or working in a medical lab. Everyone has to deal with deadlines but there are jobs where it's measured in hours (or days) instead of minutes.
Sunfish

Postby Sunfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:28 pm

FoxInDocs wrote:... it told me i should work in retail.

I'll be honest, career apritude tests never helped me much but who knows, retail could a be good fit especially if you like people/sales (you didn't mention). For some reason, your origami interest made me think of caligraphy. If you have the patinence for it, caligraphy can be a nice way to bring in freelance income thereby cutting out the boss-timeclock problem altogether. Most of your work would probably come from the wedding invitaion market but you can always branch out depending on how creative you want to get.

Or get a job at the GAP. Seriously, you might suprise yourself.

Good luck!
Sunfish

Postby walkerer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I just googled the topic of being too slow and found this. I've had the same problem for years--employers telling me I'm too slow when I'd swear I'm working as fast as I can. It has gotten to the point where I'll be in a near panic trying to work fast enough to keep from getting into more trouble. I've got really phenomenal manual dexterity, but people don't seem to notice. I have the same kinds of problems in my personal life--people get mad at me for being too slow and not getting enough done, even though as far as I can see I'm working at least as hard as everyone else. I often see other people relaxing, even at home, and just keep working because I don't want to be perceived as lazy. It's gotten to the point where I'm kind of afraid to ever stop moving.

I've found out in the last couple of years that I have some pretty severe neurological problems (I've always known, actually, but now I have nice fancy greek names for them). I don't remember things visually. So I have a lot of trouble with finding things visually, getting lost easily, learning new things that involve remembering what I've seen, etc. I also don't recognize people from their appearance. I think all this gives people the impression that I'm just not paying attention.

I wonder if sometimes it isn't partly bullying behavior on the part of employers (I'm picturing being an oarsman/slave on a boat and the boss cracking his whip) and relatives, although there must be more to it than that because it's happened to me so many times. It just happened again--relatives this time--and that's how I ended up frustrated and online looking for information.

I'll definitely think about some of the things that have been said here. I've had to tell myself that *I* know I'm working hard and to try not to let what other people think get to me, but that's hard when your boss pulls you aside like that--it's happened to me, too.

And on top of all that, I suck at origami. (-: What is a crane supposed to look like again? Has anybody seen my origami book?
walkerer

Postby FoxInDocs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks for you help sunfish, i feel much better now. printing and painting would be nice actually, i'm really quite a creative person, i'm all origami and sewing and crafts and whatnot...

My partner's recently getting into Airbrushing, and i'm finding it quite interesting too... hopefully that'll take off for us and then i won't have to work for assholes, i can work for myself and take as long as i damn well please :-P

It's also nice to know i'm not the only one having this problem, even if i don't get to have fancy greek names for it :-P
FoxInDocs

Postby uniqueWoman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:14 am

FoxInDocs wrote:So, i just found this site, it seems like a really good resource...

um, yeah, so here's my deal...

I'm 24, nearly 25, i live in South Australia... I work at Subway in the food court at a shopping mall... It's not a glamorous job by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it taxing either physically or mentally, and i'm good at it, or so i thought, so i was reasonably happy with it.

so the other day, my manager comes in, on her day off, and takes me outside to talk. she tells me that essentially she's not happy with my performance. she says other staff members have told her that when the work with me "they have to work twice as hard" and that when they close the shop with me "we always get out late" now, that last bit's just not true, i haven't been late out of the shop since i've been working there by more than 5 minutes, and we're usually out 15 minutes early... as for working twice as hard, i can't say either way, cuz i don't know how they work when i'm not there...

i'm rambling... too bad...

now, this is not the first job in which i've been pulled up on "performance issues" and "working too slow" but the thing is, i don't *feel* like i'm working slow, i feel like i'm working damned hard, and i also don't see that, or feel like anyone is else is working any harder than i am....

i really don't want to get fired or have to quit another job....
FoxInDocs wrote:xInDocs"]

So, i'd really like other people's opinions on what the problem might be here... particuarly anyone professional, but all (constructive) comments welcome.

You don't fit in that crowd. You are hardworking and you care about your assigned duty, unlike them.

FoxInDocs wrote:
also some background info... I am educated, not highly but i do have some mid-level tech-collage education in IT, and i did work in the IT industry for a couple years out of highschool while i was studying... i have suffered with depression in the past, and i have been medicated for it. (zoloft)

Not your fault that you got pulled. Trust me on that. When I was 29, I took a job at Copying place - got recruited by one of the three owners of this new store on campus; he was graduating with an MBA and saw me looking at the bulletin board though I was there to attend an Amnesty Int'l meeting and was just reading news - and got the same issue due to the low lives there consipraing against me.

FoxInDocs wrote:
The rest of my life, personal and social, is fine and dandy, i'm engaged to an incredible man who makes me happier than i can express in words, we're getting married in October, and plan to start a family once we've bought a house. I have a wonderful relationship with my mother, step-father and siblings, my in-law's are perfect, and i have truck-loads of beautiful supportive friends from all sorts of different cultures...

So any help's appreciated. Thanks.

Get out of there asap. You don't belong there; you won't fit in there. Get more education if necessary.
uniqueWoman

Postby uniqueWoman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:20 am

BTW, I wasn't told that I was slow. In fact, they started disliking me because I figured out how to use the color copier by reading the instruction posted on the machien instead of askign them for help .(Them, who barely graduated from highschool).

It didn't even cross my mind that I should ask them. I guess they assumed that I'd be struggling to use it.

They lied to the owners/manager that I ate while on duty. It was all for the best because by then ( 2mon into the job), I was feeling stressed about going to work (I was writing my thesis t the time). So, I took a job at a convenience store and wrote my thesis and got a job at a company (within two months of leaving that place)
uniqueWoman