Easiest way to commit suicide?

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.

Postby masochist » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 am

I am not planning to commit suicide, so please hear me out. I am asking for a specific reason. Suppose one is diagnosed with some painful disease that may last a decade or so...it's going to be extremely hard living in pain for many years simply waiting for death.

I know a person who had neuralgia, he suffered for almost 20 years with that pain.

In such cases, wouldn't death be preferable to a 20-year pain? So I am wondering if there's an easy way to kill oneself should such situations arise.
masochist

Postby Annie7788 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am

Easy for whom? There are always people who have to find a body and live with the trauma. They may find a cure for the condition in five years and then what?

They have the highly controversial "suicide" clinics in switzerland for conditions where there is no hope and much suffering. There have been a few cases in the news recently.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby Sluagh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 am

This questtion must not be answered. It is highly irresponsible. This thread should be closed.
Think about the many people who do feel suicidal. It often is the fear of the pain of the suicide that keeps many alive.
I think it is inappropriate to ask such a question.

[Edited by Site Admin to conform with Forum Rules]
Sluagh

Postby gringor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 am

Strange question to ask dude, even hypothetically.....
gringor

Postby Unknown girl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:01 pm

I knew a girl who found her brother's body after he had commited suicide. She went totally off the rails. She'd always been a fairly good student in my school but suddenly she began to rebel to the point of being extremely close to being expelled. Her parents then moved her to a private school. She also slept with most of her brother's friends and ended up pregnant. I'm sure that's not what her brother wanted when he decided to commit suicide.
Unknown girl

Postby herowannabe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Well masochist. Even though your friend might be suffering for almost 20 years. He might not be suffering every single day of those 20 years. Perhaps, 1 day he felt really happy just cause he knows someone is caring for him or he felt really great because the weather's good.... Sometimes just living for that 1 day would be reward for him. I'm saying that even though he might be in pain for 20 years, if it takes 19 years and 364 days to experience that 1 day of happiness, then it's worth waiting. Imagine him taking his life at the 364th day. He could have just waited one more day and they could find a cure to his disease or he could have found his happiness....

Death, any death, is a waste of human's life.
herowannabe

Postby Necropodophile » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Shotgun blast to the head. In the mouth or under the chin is always good but you have to be sure you angle the gun right and totally destroy the brain. But if your too panzy for that sitting in a running car in a closed garage puts you to sleep first I think and theres not such a mess for the kids to see.
Necropodophile

Postby herowannabe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Necropodophile, it sounds painful and it would take a lot of courage to do that. Sounds scary.
herowannabe

Postby Herbie306 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Necropodophile wrote:Shotgun blast to the head. In the mouth or under the chin is always good but you have to be sure you angle the gun right and totally destroy the brain. But if your too panzy for that sitting in a running car in a closed garage puts you to sleep first I think and theres not such a mess for the kids to see.

IMO, posts like this don't help anyone - even if you were being sarcastic
Herbie306

Postby Annie7788 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 pm

herowannabe wrote:Death, any death, is a waste of human's life.

and not just that of the person who kills themselves, but the people or person who finds the, the family and friends they leave behind. Their lives and possibly lives of their children are affected by any depressive illness the impact of suicide may have on their psyche.

Long term health conditions are a bit of a difficult area. There is a certain obsession with prolonging life by artificial means at all cost, whereas if the same person was left without the artificial support they would not survive for long. It's curious that they put animals "out of their misery" but keep humans alive to suffer virtually eternally. On the one hand kids die of starvation in today's world and on the other people are kept artificially alive on respirators for years at a time. It's impossible to say what is right or wrong because these days we have so many choices that our heads spin with the complexity of life.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby dtemple » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:53 pm

suicide can be painless for the person, but never for the people who either help or related the person involved, It is NEVER the answer, i have had thoughts of it before, but life can go on.

As for your friend id say suicide is still not the answer, all he needs is company and to keep occupied. We all suffer from pain in some way, physical or psychological
dtemple

Postby wylo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:19 pm

For everyone that says suicide is selfish, yes I agree with you. It is something that can tear a family apart.

But Im just wondering could I dare pose the question, what about the argument that it is selfish of the family to let someone live in pain just so they dont "lose them"? Why should the suicidal person have to be the one that suffers?

Please dont get me wrong on this, im completely against it, its just you have to look at both sides of the coin.
wylo

Postby Ruby88 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:07 pm

I think it's a different matter if the family were aware of the sufferer's intentions. Granted it would never be painless for the family, but the biggest part of the family's suffering from unexpected suicides is never knowing why or whether they could have done something to prevent it.
Ruby88

Postby polymath » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 pm

wylo makes an excellent point. Isn't it all about intention? In our society, FAMILY has become the priority, even when that family causes massive pain to those in it.

In some cultures, family members who cause pain and suffering, emotional or physical, are ostracized and only allowed back if and when they get their act together. It's almost like tough love in the right direction.

'Honor thy father and mother' is a biblical commandment and has brain washed many in western culture to often put up with sheer stupidity and madness from their parents. Just because two people had a role in the hay and spit you out doesn't mean you have to put up with one second of their bs in this short life.

Setting limits with firm but fair consequences is one thing but physical and emotional abuse is another.

Whew, that was a real tangent, sorry but it had to come out :)
polymath
Preferred Member

Postby Hookedonkronik » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:20 pm

I think the admins should lock and delete this thread. Anyone who types the subject heading into google could come across this site, and I don't think this is the type of info this site is looking to address or circulate.

You also attract people like necropodophile
Hookedonkronik

Next

Return to Psychology