emotional threshold

Postby raverx3m » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 am

i was listening to anthony robbins tapes for last few weeks while driving to work. great guy lots of good stuff!!!

but one thing stood out from his tapes.
he mentiones an emotional threshold- the amount of pain you would endure before changind yourself.
he said some people have high tolerance for pain and some are low

i consider myself having a very high tolerance to emotional pain because,
i still havent found a strong enough emotion that would move me enough to change.
i have a thick skull id say and its not something im very happy about in this particular situation.

i ve been going up and down hill pretty often trying to improve my situation.
and made same mistakes over and over. which whould mean one thing_im stupid and dont learn, according to a popular belief.

i didnt develop this deffence because of a good and joyfull life, it was mostly to survive constant attempts of my parents to make me a "better child" the one that obeys and does what he supposed to.
i was pretty neutral to any emotions for a while.

so anyway on the topic of emotional threshold.

how do i change that. how do i make myself more open to change?
more flexible.

because i really dont want to wait for something tragic or disastrous to happen in my life in orger to shake me up and bring different values in my personality by means od something bad.
raverx3m

Postby clocodile » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 am

Hi,

Read the book, "The Dice Man" by Luke Theinhart. It's fiction but it's about a psychiatrist who isn't satsified with the restrictions his personality places on him.

Read it and learn how flexible you can be.

You are asking how do you make yourself immune to any possibility. Please. Think about that question, it's impossible mate.

One suffestion. Stop listening to how other people live their lives, or say they do, and start living yours.
clocodile
Preferred Member

Postby Triarius » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm

I like Tony too. He's a great big scary looking guy, but he's sharp.

It's similar to the "boiled frog" experiment. Some people will just put up with stuff until it's too late.

It's not really a matter of changing yourself, just paying attention to your subconscious mind. This is a useful skill all around. Learn to listen to your emotions about all things, and more answers will come to you.

The problem is called "cognitive dissonance" - some people will keep working at a job that they hate simply because they believe "I need this job!" and yet they wont even start searching for another one!

Wikipedia's definition of cognitive dissonance: "Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously."

In the above example of working a job you hate - the two conflicting "ideas" could be seen as "I need to work" and "I need THIS job"

Yes, people generally need to work, but they forget to dissociate that fact with their current job. Their current job is what's making them miserable and not necessarily just working.

~~~

Relationships are another place where cognitive dissonance can take over. People can get caught in the belief "I need to be with this person" and "I don't want to talk about our problems" - those two often go hand in hand. People forget to take a step back and really reevaluate their situation.

Cognitive dissonance.
Reevaluation of beliefs.
Triarius