Panic Attack as I fall asleep???????????

Postby Carly859 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:35 am

The last few days I've been having something happen as I fall asleep. I will be almost asleep, and then I will wake back up feeling like I am vibrating in my torso and upper arms. I almost hesitate to say "vibrating" because I don't feel it if I touch my chest, but that's the best way I can think to describe it. It's almost like that feeling I get throughout my body during a bad panic attack, but at the same time it's different. I know I'm doing a bad job at explaining, but it's the best I can do.

My rational mind wants to say it's just a panic attack, and now it keeps happening because I'm worried and thinking about it, but other things tell me it's a serious condition!!!!
I'm usually posting on the "heart skips a beat" section, so I immediately worried it was somehow connected to my heart. Then I started to google my symptoms, and lots of people were saying it was heart related, too!
So now it
s close to 10p.m. and I' fearing bedtime because I don't want it to happen. This is just yet another thing about this panic and anxiety that makes me feel I can't deal with it!!! How am I to take care of my children when I'm such a mess in my head! I can't think straight, and now I'm going to be sleep deprived on top of it all. Will all this ever end?????????????????

Someone please tell me if you relate to my new symptoms. Would help a great deal!
Thx for reading
Carly859

Likes Received: 0

Postby jurplesman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:29 am

Having sudden anxiety attacks during sleep is a common phenomenon with people suffering from hypoglycemia.

b]The Biochemistry of Insomnia[/b]
---> here

It is when you have a sudden hypoglycemic dip when people wake up either with an anxiety attacks or a nightmare.
jurplesman

Postby Carly859 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:23 am

Ya know... I've wondered about that because I often get shaky if I don't eat and get really hungry. I have been told that could be the problem with that. I was also gestational diabetic with several of my pregnancies. About a month ago I went to to the dr and had blood work done and I specifically asked her to check me for diabetes. My bw all came back good. If I were hypoglycemic, would it indicate so in my bw?
Thanks!!!
Carly859

Postby Ruby88 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 am

[quote="Carly859"]The last few days I've been having something happen as I fall asleep. I will be almost asleep, and then I will wake back up feeling like I am vibrating in my torso and upper arms. I almost hesitate to say "vibrating" because I don't feel it if I touch my chest, but that's the best way I can think to describe it. It's almost like that feeling I get throughout my body during a bad panic attack, but at the same time it's different. I know I'm doing a bad job at explaining, but it's the best I can do. [/quote]

Hi Carly - yes I've had this. These are actually a lot easier to rid yourself of than datyime panic attacks, because you're already lying down, so you just need to be a little bit brave and ride it out. It's like a sort of rushing sensation isn't it? I always felt like it was moving up to around my ears and I thought that if it got really intense I would probably die or something, so I used to jump up quickly and pace around. Eventually I got so exhausted that I just let it burn itself out and I never had another one after that. Just let it come - it won't hurt you. Scary but safe. :-)
Ruby88

Postby Carly859 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Ruby....
Yes, it is sorta like a rushing. I still want to say it is also somehow a vibrating, but it does grow more intense until I sit up or something, so I do think the rushing is another great way to describe this feeling.
Last night I was SURE I would have one since I was so scared of it.. I actually didn't as I fell asleep, but I did wake up a few times through the night and I had a little bit of the feeling. I tried to study it more than be afrad of it. At that point what I noticed most was my heart beating hard and a little fast. This doesn't scare me since I know it's anxiety. I was actually able to kind of rock myself a little, like shake my leg or something, and fell back to sleep.
Unfortunately, I overslept today and kids were late for bus so had to have my mom come take them to school. Just another way anxiety is literally ruining my life!
Now to her I'm just lazy, or didn't want to get up, but really it's that I was so scared to sleep I couldn't actually fall asleep. Then once I was asleep, it was intermittent sleep, never really getting a good sleep. Ughhhh!! So depressing!!!
Thanks again for the advice guys!
Carly859

Postby Ruby88 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:33 pm

[quote="Carly859"]
Now to her I'm just lazy, or didn't want to get up, but really it's that I was so scared to sleep I couldn't actually fall asleep. [/quote]
Oh I know, I've been there. I think that was what led to my confronting the sensation though and just letting it wash over me. I was perpetually jumping up, putting the light on, watching TV, drinking a cup of tea (decaf!!), then I'd be scared when I put the light out and tried to get back to sleep, but as soon as I started to "let go" enough to drift off again, the sensation would come straight back, I'd jump up again, etc etc. In the end I was so exhausted I just thought "s0d this, if I die I die..." and let it do its worst. I honestly think that's the best approach if you can do it.
Ruby88

Postby jurplesman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 am

Carly859 wrote:If I were hypoglycemic, would it indicate so in my bw?

It will only show up with a special blood test as explained at:

How to get tested for Hypoglycemia

Also read:

Anxiety and the Sympathetic Nervous System
jurplesman

Postby needlifeback » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:41 am

It's called 'hypnic jerks'. Have a look at my past posts about this as I have 'cured' myself of them. It's not a serious condition. I still get them now and then when stress builds or I have been unhealthy.
needlifeback
Preferred Member

Postby LindaRK » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 am

Could be myoclonoic jerks. Pretty much benign ..... lack of sleep and stress can cause them.
LindaRK

Postby peggy23 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:51 am

yeah i`ve had that feeling over the last 6 months or so and i think the hypoclycemic thing is very relavant could also be a hormonal thing my female docto has suggested this as a symptom of peri menopause cause our oestrogen is at it lowest at night and particuly arond our periods which is when these symptoms are worse for me i find rescue remedy really helpful and meditaiton cheers
peggy23

Postby Carly859 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I have been posting on other boards with my wide array of problems..lol
I got em for every damn bored!

I will look up the things mentioned by the first 2 posters.

And for what you said Peggy, I have heard a lot about the peri menopause. I have wondered if that might be what I am heading into. I am 34 so its not too early, I am right at the age for that I think.
I think I notice other symptoms, as well, so I do think that is a good possibility.
I am scheduled to go to the Dr. for a good ole check up and med refill (for my paxil) in a week or so, so I am going to get into all this with him. I also want to be tested for hypoglycemia!

Thanks again. Now I am goign to start a new thread about how my therapist is not so good. :cry:
Carly859

Postby prettyrose7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

I started to wake up with panic attacks but it would usually be because of a loud noise outside on the streets or my next door neighbours. Also I was on my own at night looking after my child and this frightened me. I kept thinking that someone was coming up my stairs when I was in bed because the floor boards would creak or any noise would alert me. I had alot of arguments with my boyfriend and I believe that this relationship started all this panic attacks because it was nothing but stressful and I had to deal with something that I have never dealt with before. The symtons was shaking so hard it was as if I was cold and squeezing my heart. I tried to stop shaking and relax but it took atleast 10 minuets if not longer to stop shaking. But it was like all of a sudden my body would calm down but this was mostly when I was speaking to someone about it. What I mean is when I started shaking I would telephone the NHS helpline, they would talk to me and gradly I calmed down and all of a sudden I was fine again. Now my shaking only occurs only so often very little now but other things happen like i am frightened to drive and feel like fainting in the car. Even though I have been driving for many years. Well I hope to change my diet and get a way from an argumentive relationship and maybe I will be ok.
prettyrose7

Postby Carly859 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 pm

What or who is the NHS??? I am assuming it is some kind of government health care thing? National Health Service or something of the sort? That would be GREAT if I had something like this here. It would help me through so many hororible nights!!!
I guess you are not in America, right? If you haven't seen SICKO, please rent it! It explains how crappy the U.S. is compared to other nations when it comes to health care.
We don't have anythign like that here in America....sadly.
Carly859

Postby Amber26 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:03 am

This thread is interesting to me, I have a few of these same problems. I'm 37 so I think perimenopause could be hitting me too, and I've noticed I have more skipped beats and panic attacks in the week leading up to my period.

So these night attacks, I'm curious if you actually get close to sleep, because the vibrating part sounds exactly like sleep paralysis, where your body is sleeping but your brain is awake and it doesn't match up at the same time. It's actually a desired state where it's really easy to start lucid dreaming or astrally project. But if this happens like right after you lay down, and you are for sure 100% awake, then I don't know what that is. But I have panic attacks when I'm trying to fall asleep too, my heart skips beats probably 60% of the time right after I lay down. And occasionally, I'll get nervous/clammy/heart beats fast and I have to get up and distract myself and try again later.

I don't know what is happening in my case, I don't have health insurance so I can't go to a doctor (hence why i'm on this site) :lol:
Amber26

Postby Afg21 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 am

[quote="Carly859"]The last few days I've been having something happen as I fall asleep. I will be almost asleep, and then I will wake back up feeling like I am vibrating in my torso and upper arms. I almost hesitate to say "vibrating" because I don't feel it if I touch my chest, but that's the best way I can think to describe it. It's almost like that feeling I get throughout my body during a bad panic attack, but at the same time it's different. I know I'm doing a bad job at explaining, but it's the best I can do.
s close to 10p.m. and I' fearing bedtime because I don't want it to happen. This is just yet another thing about this panic and anxiety that makes me feel I can't deal with it!!! How am I to take care of my children when I'm such a mess in my head! I can't think straight, and now I'm going to be sleep
deprived on top of it all. Will all this ever end?????????????????

I'm dealing with this for 1 year now. I'm 21 male. It's really hard to ignore it. Just as I'm about to fall asleep my body jerks and I feel like Im having a heart attack and I can't breath. I don't smoke or do drugs I never touched alcohol. But still this is happening to me almost every night. No matter how tired or sleepy I am, in the back back of my brain a thought is running and the moment Im about to fall asleep, it comes like a giant monster and shakes me to my very soul. I think this happens when we feel unsecure just like when we fall asleep in a bus or train, we are not totally asleep for one thing that we control our body from falling. It has 1 thing in common with the thing we have; the sudden body jerk while falling asleep. But I don't understand the fear that comes with it.
Afg21